NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

What kind of work can I put in to earn a mentor?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one secondchance4now with 10 posts (7 thanks)
    2. looks_two CrudeDude with 10 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 snax with 6 posts (19 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 5 posts (26 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Massive l with 5.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 5.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 TheBenefactor with 4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 snax with 3.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 19,801 views
    2. thumb_up 151 thanks given
    3. group 38 followers
    1. forum 75 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

What kind of work can I put in to earn a mentor?

secondchance4now
Jersey City, NJ

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 11

mtzimmer1 View Post
I have never traded them so I’m not sure but I’ve heard the liquidity on the micro currencies is thin. Take a look at the new micro e-mini futures. I have traded them and have no issue with fills. /MES /MNQ /MYM

Yeah, those are more liquid, definitely, but the margin requirement is higher.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

secondchance4now View Post
Any idea how to pick a contract to start trading?

I was thinking of the micro currency futures since the margins for that tend to be around $100-$200, does that mean I'll be risking less with that? I want to learn and practice by starting with something that has the least amount of risk.

I've been trading the micro 6E and 6B futures for a while now; if you want to day trade, stick with M6E, it's the only one that has enough liquidity to do so. The rest are good for swing trading.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
secondchance4now
Jersey City, NJ

Rrrracer View Post
I've been trading the micro 6E and 6B futures for a while now; if you want to day trade, stick with M6E, it's the only one that has enough liquidity to do so. The rest are good for swing trading.

Do I need to stare at the screen all day to day trade? I have a fulltime job so I can't do that.

I'm okay swing trading though.

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

Do I need to stare at the screen all day to day trade? I have a fulltime job so I can't do that.

I'm okay swing trading though.

You've answered your own question All of the micro currencies provide low risk, low margin, low cost swing trading.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
secondchance4now
Jersey City, NJ

Rrrracer View Post
You've answered your own question All of the micro currencies provide low risk, low margin, low cost swing trading.

Alright time to have swing trading M6A and M6B...with paper money of course.

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,341
Thanks Received: 26,267

Just a few thoughts:

- The best thing you are likely to do is start a trading journal here on futures.io and post your trades, charts, reasoning, etc. Post as much or as little as you feel you want. (The trades can be in simulation mode -- paper trading -- that's what most people start out with). Everyone here who reads your journal will be pulling for you and will offer their suggestions (you, or course, will have to decide what works for you.)

- Read some of the other trade journals on this forum. Everyone has started somewhere, and some are struggling, while others have gotten past that and are successful. You can learn from both. It helps to see someone working through the same issues that you are (and everyone has the same issues, basically), and it helps to see someone who is doing well.

- Pick something you will trade to start with. The currency micros and the stock index micros, any that suit you, would be good choices. Try some and see. (Some of the currencies have heavy European participation, such as 6E -- the Euro -- and so they have good volume and liquidity before normal US work hours, which would let you work around your regular work times.)

- Simulation (sim) only works for so long, because it has no real monetary risk, and so has a totally different psychological feel compared to real money trading. You'll need to get into live trading at some point. Just be aware of this. Margins for stock index micros are typically in the hundred-dollar per contract range for most brokers (day trading margins -- overnight is higher), and commissions are typically in the one dollar or less range per contract on an all-in (all fees included, including exchange and data fees), round-turn (both the buy and sell) basis. You may want to look around to see what deals are out there. Many brokers will let you try a trial basis of a couple of weeks, during which you can trade in sim, and this often can be extended for another couple of weeks, so you can shop around while you learn.

- If you like what you see in the other traders' journals and in the support you get in your own, you may consider an Elite membership, which gives you access to the broader community of more traders' journals and other threads... but only if you see there's something here for you; it's entirely your choice.

The original question of this thread was how to find a mentor. You've already gotten the idea that basically, you will be your own mentor. There are a lot of people here who will pitch in, and we have all gone down this path before. It isn't easy, but it's rewarding and can be fun. (Also, exasperating. But you do learn. That's life. )

I definitely wish you luck with this project. I think you will see that the membership will rally to assist you. Be ready for a thousand different suggestions, though.

You'll need to pick though them based on what resonates with you and what works out when you try it. Again, good luck.

Bob.

LonnieMSP 
Minneapolis

Broker: Optimus Futures, TT
Trading: ES, NQ, CL, GC, FGBL, 6E, various others
Thanks Given: 395
Thanks Received: 61

Start trading and keeping a journal. Find a meetup group and attend regularly. Most of the folks who go to groups like that are not trustworthy and/or are not mentor material, but sometimes you'll find veteran traders will attend and be looking to share their knowledge with those who are hungry and willing to listen.

Thanked by:
 john5 
Los Angeles, California, United States

Platform: ThinkOrSwim, Ninja Trader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 80

So what kind of work should I put in? How can I show a mentor I'm worthy?

If that's not enough, what else should I do?

A good start would be to be very specific. Saying I would like to find a trading mentor is like saying I would like to find a car racing coach. What kind of car racing, Formula 1, NASCAR, Drifting, Rally...you get the point.

What is your specific goal? Intraday trading, swing trading, position, options?
What have you accomplished thus far? How long have you been paper trading?
What is your current trading strategy and why?

Best,
-John.

Thanked by:

CrudeDude 
Phoenix Arizona

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Global Zen Trader
Broker: GFF Brokers
Trading: Crude CL
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 80

Before you start trading, forget technical analysis and start working on mental analysis for a month or two until you figure it out.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:
 Meklon 
New York, USA

Trading: RTY, ES, YM, NQ, CL, NG, GC, HG
Thanks Given: 53
Thanks Received: 197

No, I'm not going to outright ask for a mentor, that's presumptuous. I'm sure there's over a gazillion requests for a mentor. And I get why mentors don't want to take up every offer or why they don't advertise mentorship...it's just not worth it. It's a lot of time and energy spent on someone you know is going to make a lot of mistakes at first, is probably going to frustrate you, but you want it to pay off in the end.

So what kind of work should I put in? How can I show a mentor I'm worthy?

I've thought of posting my paper trades, because I sure as hell am not ready to trade futures with real money. And with each trade I'll post my thought process. If I do that enough times, will potential mentors out there give me a chance?

If that's not enough, what else should I do?

I've heard from some people I should just paper trade until I figure things out. Maybe, maybe that'll work, but it's better to learn from someone with experience.

Take care everyone.

First and foremost, you need to understand that trading is very personal thing and is completely different to EACH successful trader. 90% of people starting to trade failing to understand that the biggest fight they need to win daily in order to make money and be consistent is not against other market participants. That fight is against their own bad habits and lack of discipline. Each trader (just like every human) has a unique psychological profile, temper, level of patience, various personal reasoning and other factors that will directly impact the way he / she trades.

I would strongly suggest to start by signing up to one of the groups that have reputable track record and following them for a while. One of such places is Convergent Trading. The guy who runs that community - FT71 aka Morad Askar also runs his own Prop Firm and has very unique approach on prepping new traders for this business. He focuses a lot on psychological profile of the trader as well as market context. This will be a good starting place for you so you can follow his daily briefings, listen to other people in that community and ask any questions you may have. You can also paper trade at the same time. Once you feel comfortable about your trading routine you can dip your toe into Micro ES and start live trading without having significant risk. Remember, in order for you to learn and progress you must have a skin in the game and micro contract will force you to take your journey seriously because you will have your own money at risk. Becoming consistent and being able to execute your trading plan while sitting on hands when you do not see the setup that allows you to execute your trade is essential. Confidence and psychological comfort is the most preciouses commodity trader possess.

Remember, you only need to master 1-2 trade setups and practice them until you be able to execute them with your eyes closed (this is the level of confidence you need). Once you achieve this level of consistency you can consider yourself a success.

Last Updated on April 20, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts