NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Salao's Journal--Skiff on the Gulf Stream

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Salao with 143 posts (260 thanks)
    2. looks_two snax with 12 posts (19 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bobwest with 11 posts (33 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mgcharl with 11 posts (22 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fluid Fox with 2.7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 mgcharl with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Salao with 1.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 21,657 views
    2. thumb_up 372 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 199 posts
    2. attach_file 112 attachments

Search this Thread

Salao's Journal--Skiff on the Gulf Stream

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation
Broker: Tradestation
Trading: GC/MGC, MCL, MES
Thanks Given: 10,571
Thanks Received: 5,870

I've been reading a lot about market profile and I am considering using it to plan my day. It seems like it organizes information in such a way that would bring more clarity to my trade planning, at least more clarity than the 'system' I currently trade. I'll be doing some studying this weekend to incorporate it into my pre-trade planning for next week.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
18 thanks

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

So I've been doing homework using market profile to plan ahead. I thought this crude chart was interesting. It looks like initiative buying over January's VAH (that's the line just under $54.40). It held Friday's VAH, but kind of broke down at the weekly VAH (broken green line). Ideally I'd like to see some strength over the weekly VAH and buy a pull back into the $53.40 neighborhood. Crude looks strong so I'll be be avoiding the short side for sure--at least I don't envision a short set-up. Wouldn't mind discussing with a profile enthusiast or one of the CL traders out there...

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Salao View Post
About two weeks of paper trading my system in ES:

Strat 1 has a win rate of 85% by itself. My other 4 strategies have a win rate of 25% combined.

I'll have to do a better job of documenting my market reads in this journal. But I suspect I have more of a clear market thesis during Strat 1 entries...at least relative to my other strategies. Three of the remaining four strategies are attempts to catch a pull back during a trend. So I suspect my entries during these trades are sloppy due to FOMO...obviously, at least thus far, my market reads for the 3 ineffective strategies have been wrong. During execution of these strategies I think my thought process is limited to watching the market for an opportunity to get in, while remaining blind to the reasons I should stay out. It's either this or the strategies are just losers.

At any rate...small sample size so far.

I put in a lot of work on my trading plan this weekend mostly pertaining to pre-execution routine (market read, organize info, etc) and STOPs. I will be testing this part of my plan as well. I will be testing to see if my pre-execution routine is repeatable, keeps me loose, mitigates the influence of emotion (yeah I know it will be difficult to do during paper trade), makes money, etc.

As you can see there was a big performance drop off this week. I did some pretty dumb stuff. I'm pretty sure it was a result of ineffective planning and a lack of clarity. I'm into the trading plan this weekend to improve my planning process. I don't believe I've proven an edge so far. No immediate plans to go live yet.

Thanked by:

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Salao View Post

So I've been doing homework using market profile to plan ahead. I thought this crude chart was interesting. It looks like initiative buying over January's VAH (that's the line just under $54.40). It held Friday's VAH, but kind of broke down at the weekly VAH (broken green line). Ideally I'd like to see some strength over the weekly VAH and buy a pull back into the $53.40 neighborhood. Crude looks strong so I'll be be avoiding the short side for sure--at least I don't envision a short set-up. Wouldn't mind discussing with a profile enthusiast or one of the CL traders out there...

The more I think about this the more I see the OBVIOUS potential short. I guess it could build resistance at the weekly VAH and breakdown. In this scenario I'd target of ~$54.40. I'll def. skip the short side trade though...Anyhow, this is just for MY OWN good. I'm not trying to make a market call to look smart. In fact it is probable that i'll look dumb at EOD tomorrow. I'm just documenting a pre-market read so I can review the analysis later. And I'm always open for critique, discussion.

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

I'll be looking to long in if this can tag 1495 again...

But I'm aware of this 3 bar coil on the daily, which is quite frankly, causing some cog dis. I'll stick to my plan to trade from the long side only for now.

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Overtraded the ES today...ugh...

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

6E: Looking to be short around 14800. If there is a rally I would like some support to be built up near 14865 before entering long.

CL: I'd like to be long around 54.50, but if no support I'll need to look for a short entry with a tentative target of 53.11.

Thanked by:

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Watching to see if support will hold at 2712 for a long, will wait for a short entry if broken...

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

Today was my 12th session trading futures (paper trading) and I think I'm starting to develop a sense of what doesn't work. I discovered patience works pretty well! Today I discovered that I should trade the plan I drew up the night before. If I would have traded my plan, I would have had a really good day. I still ended up OK thanks to a breakdown of the rally in ES.

The ES had traded up to ~3sd (weekly). This fact alone wasn't enough to give me the confidence to fade the rally. I didn't pull the trigger until I saw the RTY selling off pretty hard. At that point I thought there was a decent chance for a nice trade.

This journal is the only place where I write out my plan for the following day So I think I'm going to start printing it out every night for easier access.

Thanked by:

Salao 
Los Angeles CA
Market Wizard

I left a short on into the close on ES. Ill add to the short position if it can get back up to ~2734...probably will close if it gets through this level with any conviction. I'll trail a wide stop when I go to bed if I still have a position on. Tentative target of ~2727. I don't feel THAT comfortable with this short. But maybe I should...Actually I don't feel THAT comfortable on any trade. And I'm using fake money!

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 19, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts