NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

PATS Trading Psychology Or Mack's Soapbox

Discussion in Psychology and Money Management

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Mtype with 31 posts (106 thanks)
    2. looks_two Trailer Guy with 16 posts (34 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Leon of Pizza with 7 posts (16 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Larryonse1 with 5 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Scalpingtrader with 3.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Mtype with 3.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Leon of Pizza with 2.3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Trailer Guy with 2.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 44,628 views
    2. thumb_up 220 thanks given
    3. group 73 followers
    1. forum 90 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

PATS Trading Psychology Or Mack's Soapbox

Mtype 
Hungary

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 1,434
Thanks Received: 1,763

This week's episode is below.

Soapbox at the very beginning and from 20:45. Double dose!

Thanks Mack!

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.” Δ

“There is no path, but only a fool wouldn’t follow it.”
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

Tripken 
Knoxville, TN/USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Beginner
Platform: TradeStation
Broker: TradeStation
Trading: ES
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 1,562
Thanks Received: 1,364

I also collect his "soap box" lessons, very motivational and true.

Didn't know your thread existed until i searched for something else PAT related.

Keep them coming!

Thanked by:

Mtype 
Hungary

Tripken View Post
I also collect his "soap box" lessons, very motivational and true.

Didn't know your thread existed until i searched for something else PAT related.

Keep them coming!

Feel free to share the ones you like, they could be a great addition to the thread and support our collective learning. Mack is great on the soap box.

“Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence.” Δ

Thanked by:
HinduMVP
Canada

Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 6

I love Mack's soapboxes lmao. Absolutely gold!

Thanked by:
HinduMVP
Canada

Thanks Given: 49
Thanks Received: 6

Found another soap box from Mack!

youtube. com/watch?v=zY1zdyfVPYg

don't have the post counts to post links lol

Thanked by:

Mtype 
Hungary

Thanked by:

Mtype 
Hungary

Thanked by:

Leon of Pizza 
St. Louis

Platform: thinkorswim, NT8
Trading: equity and fx futures and options
Thanks Given: 99
Thanks Received: 192

I subscribe to Mack's YouTube content, but I don't agree with his perception of the market that he laid out in the first video you posted. The "donaters" he speaks of are retail and they don't inject a sufficient amount of capital to the zero-sum equation that he references. Institutional and various well-capitalized proprietary trading is the source of market patterning. The little retail trader is only swept along in the larger flow. Therefore, the bulk of capital that is trapped in/out of a market is not retail. Furthermore, if one believes that liquidity benefits his strategy, and he is trading against trapped participants, he should want them to be deeply positioned. In my opinion, the best way to perceive the other side of the market is to merely presume that you are trading against yourself (or against someone that is using your exact strategy). When I do this, most market perception becomes automatic (irrelevant) and I'm left with the psychologically simpler work of just testing my strategy against the market.

Despite this trivial criticism of Mack, I think he's got a solid perception of markets when it comes to patterns. He mentions profit taking at measured moves and correctly points out that this is where traders fall into traps, but we differ on just who is trapped. Check out his tactics on channel measured moves. Its a rarely taught reliable pattern.

sabrinavvv 
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: ES

Leon of Pizza View Post
I subscribe to Mack's YouTube content, but I don't agree with his perception of the market that he laid out in the first video you posted. The "donaters" he speaks of are retail and they don't inject a sufficient amount of capital to the zero-sum equation that he references. Institutional and various well-capitalized proprietary trading is the source of market patterning. The little retail trader is only swept along in the larger flow. Therefore, the bulk of capital that is trapped in/out of a market is not retail. Furthermore, if one believes that liquidity benefits his strategy, and he is trading against trapped participants, he should want them to be deeply positioned. In my opinion, the best way to perceive the other side of the market is to merely presume that you are trading against yourself (or against someone that is using your exact strategy). When I do this, most market perception becomes automatic (irrelevant) and I'm left with the psychologically simpler work of just testing my strategy against the market.

Despite this trivial criticism of Mack, I think he's got a solid perception of markets when it comes to patterns. He mentions profit taking at measured moves and correctly points out that this is where traders fall into traps, but we differ on just who is trapped. Check out his tactics on channel measured moves. Its a rarely taught reliable pattern.

I agree with you. Not all traders trade the 2000 tick chart, and lots of time a 1 tick trap cannot even be seen on a time based chart. I do like his observation of "close outside channel, two measured move to the opposite direction and resume the original trend". It's actually a second entry on a 5 min chart, but much easier to spot on a tick/volume chart.

Sent from my iPad using futures.io

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 billsingh 
San jose

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Thinkorswim
Trading: Stock
Thanks Given: 133
Thanks Received: 68

Hi,
Lot of you guys are pretty good on Pats stuff. Can anyone please guide me on how to do my drills off line to get good at this stuff. I understand pats methodolgy but do not know how to get better at it. I really appreciate it if someone can guide me on this.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Bill

Last Updated on November 9, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts