NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

"Hide/Show studies" Buttons Study

Discussion in Sierra Chart

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Rrrracer with 20 posts (9 thanks)
    2. looks_two slickiam with 16 posts (30 thanks)
    3. looks_3 swandro with 8 posts (17 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ejtrader with 3 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one swandro with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 slickiam with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Rrrracer with 0.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 19,902 views
    2. thumb_up 65 thanks given
    3. group 20 followers
    1. forum 60 posts
    2. attach_file 20 attachments

Search this Thread

"Hide/Show studies" Buttons Study

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

Holy guacamole @slickiam, this is awesome, been looking for this functionality for a very long time... but does not appear to be compatible with the 64 bit version of SC. I know nothing of coding... is there a way to convert it?

Thanks
Shane

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Are there any knowledgeable SC users out there that might be able to help out with converting this to 64 bit? @ tomgilb @ steve2222?

Apologies, I know nothing of coding/compiling/etc. and you guys came to mind I'm hoping that it is a fairly easy thing to accomplish. Much needed functionality for SC, IMO.

Thanks!
Shane

steve2222 
Auckland, New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: Whatever moves in my timezone
Thanks Given: 3,379
Thanks Received: 1,540

Rrrracer View Post
Are there any knowledgeable SC users out there that might be able to help out with converting this to 64 bit? @ tomgilb @ steve2222?

Apologies, I know nothing of coding/compiling/etc. and you guys came to mind I'm hoping that it is a fairly easy thing to accomplish. Much needed functionality for SC, IMO.

Thanks!
Shane

Hi Shane,
I will be of no help to you with this issue.

Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr, Danish Physicist
Thanked by:
 swandro 
England

Experience: Advanced
Platform: SierraChart
Thanks Given: 9
Thanks Received: 80

Shane

I have no idea how this study is supposed to work but I recompiled the code which gave errors due to some name changes in ACSIL. I set these to what I think they should be now and got a clean compile. You can certainly add the study now in the 64 bit version but you will have to say whether it still does what you expect it to.

For consistency I have attached the revised code.

All the Best

Rob

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: hideIT_b1_64.dll
Elite Membership required to download: hideIT_b1.cpp
Thanked by:

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

@ swandro it works!

Unfortunately the functionality is limited... the whole idea was to be able to display or hide studies with just a click of one button (instead of right click->studies->pick study->show/hide, etc etc) but the only problem is this:

"Only one ACS Tool ToolBar button can be active at any time, so turning on an ACS Tool ToolBar button also effectively turns off the currently active ACS Tool ToolBar button."

So, if you have button #1 assigned to volume profile and button #2 to VWAP, clicking on #1 displays vol profile but turns off VWAP and so on. Don't know that there is any way around this, to just have an independent on/off button for each study.

But hey Rob, thank you so much for converting it, still very useful for sure when analyzing the market, saves a lot of clicks and mousing around. Much appreciated!

Thanked by:
 mkata 
Columbus, OH

Trading: CL
Thanks Given: 153
Thanks Received: 24

Rrrracer View Post

but the only problem is this:

"Only one ACS Tool ToolBar button can be active at any time, so turning on an ACS Tool ToolBar button also effectively turns off the currently active ACS Tool ToolBar button."

Don't know that there is any way around this, to just have an independent on/off button for each study.

There is sort of a way around this. The thing is you won't need to use this study. You can set your floating control bar to use Study Collection Buttons rather than Custom Study Buttons.

Of course you will need to create and configure your Study Collections first.

For example, Collection1 would have all the studies you wish for your chart. Collection2 would be identical except have Volume Profile hidden/removed. Collection3 identical except have VWAP hidden/removed. And so on. Depending on which view you wish to see you simply click on that button.

This may be an alternate way to achieve a similar result.

Thanked by:

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Thanks @mkata, I thought about doing it that way too...just a lot of hoops to jump through for what could be basic functionality... a simple on/off button for whichever studies you choose (Tradingview has them right on the chart.) Would be nice if they could do it for drawing types as well. But hey... over all, SC is bad ass, rock solid and fast so...

Not an editorial, just an opinion

Thanked by:
 swandro 
England

Rrrracer View Post
Thanks @mkata, I thought about doing it that way too...just a lot of hoops to jump through for what could be basic functionality... a simple on/off button for whichever studies you choose (Tradingview has them right on the chart.) Would be nice if they could do it for drawing types as well. But hey... over all, SC is bad ass, rock solid and fast so...

Not an editorial, just an opinion

Good news! I thought this function would be so useful that I decided to take a further look at the code and I can tell you that it now works as requested. Basically each time you click one of the buttons, it toggles the associated studies on or off. So if they are hidden, it displays them, and if they are visible, it hides them.

This code is extremely flexible. With an ounze of ACSIL programming knowledge, anyone could add lots more studies and lots more buttons to suit their needs.

I have attached the code, the DLL and a chartbook where you can test it out. Note that I have added the 2 buttons to the main tool bar, but you could add them to a separate custom bar if you so choose.

All the best

Rob

Attached Files
Elite Membership required to download: HideStudies.cpp
Elite Membership required to download: HideStudies_64.dll
Elite Membership required to download: HideStudiesExample.cht
Thanked by:

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

@swandro, this is awesome. I noticed that it reloads the chart every time I hit one of the buttons... is that due to the modifications you had to make?

swandro 
England

Rrrracer View Post
@swandro, this is awesome. I noticed that it reloads the chart every time I hit one of the buttons... is that due to the modifications you had to make?

Yes that is deliberate. I found that if I did not force the chart to reload, it sometimes did not reflect the changes immediately.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on November 26, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts