NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Adventures of an Intuitive Daytrader

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one brunobt with 65 posts (137 thanks)
    2. looks_two spetscom with 7 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Skidboot with 6 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 prof with 4 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Arch with 2.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Skidboot with 2.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 brunobt with 2.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 spetscom with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 15,411 views
    2. thumb_up 213 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 108 posts
    2. attach_file 58 attachments

Search this Thread

The Adventures of an Intuitive Daytrader

prof
Amsterdam Netherlands

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 8

brunobt View Post
It's been almost 2 months since I started trading crude oil and things are going pretty well.

I think that the content of this thread is not useful the way it is (I don't want to post my PnL without a specific reason). Besides, my methodology is too subjective (but really very simple) and I can't describe the logic behind it (even to someone in the same room). "Confluence" is a relatively easy concept to grasp, but it's hard to apply it successfully in real-time...

Of course it's still a trading journal, so I'll write here only stuff I consider relevant, like the MANY mistakes (mostly cognitive biases) I do on a daily basis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I had my first loss (-7k net). I was 8k positive and decided it was not ok: in my "analysis", the market had to fall 50 cents up to a dollar (!), 'cause I needed to prove myself I could do better than I've been doing so far. So I shorted 21 contracts @71.01 before lunch and got distracted doing stuff for hours... waiting for the market to obey me . And I was willing to hold my position till the end... and so I did. I exited before the interruption with 7k in losses for the day.

I wasn't even mad with myself. It was a cheap lesson, considering my stupidity. Today is another day and everything is still wonderful.

cheers

Even though you cannot explain your methodology, it has still been interesting for us at least. Maybe one day you want to mention something more about how you arrived at your methodology (even if unexplainable), how long it took, the different roads you traveled in the beginning.. Good to hear at least you learned a lesson yesterday!

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
60 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
43 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
19 thanks
spetscom
Niles, Michigan

Thanks Given: 83
Thanks Received: 113

brunobt View Post
It's been almost 2 months since I started trading crude oil and things are going pretty well.

I think that the content of this thread is not useful the way it is (I don't want to post my PnL without a specific reason). Besides, my methodology is too subjective (but really very simple) and I can't describe the logic behind it (even to someone in the same room). "Confluence" is a relatively easy concept to grasp, but it's hard to apply it successfully in real-time...

Of course it's still a trading journal, so I'll write here only stuff I consider relevant, like the MANY mistakes (mostly cognitive biases) I do on a daily basis.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yesterday I had my first loss (-7k net). I was 8k positive and decided it was not ok: in my "analysis", the market had to fall 50 cents up to a dollar (!), 'cause I needed to prove myself I could do better than I've been doing so far. So I shorted 21 contracts @71.01 before lunch and got distracted doing stuff for hours... waiting for the market to obey me . And I was willing to hold my position till the end... and so I did. I exited before the interruption with 7k in losses for the day.

I wasn't even mad with myself. It was a cheap lesson, considering my stupidity. Today is another day and everything is still wonderful.

cheers

It’s your journal do what you want, but the format you have been following has really helped me out. I’ll still follow it either way, but your posts haven’t been in vain.

Thanked by:

brunobt 
Distrito Federal/Brazil

Experience: Intermediate
Thanks Given: 77
Thanks Received: 150

Today I started to trade up to 45 contracts.

My first impressions:

1)it didn’t make any difference for me, I don’t feel any stress due to the bigger position (400/450 dollars per tick);
2)I can easily put 10, 20, 40 contracts orders (limit orders at ask/bid or 1 tick below/above, not market orders), even out of the main session hours (the market just absorb it like it was nothing);
3)I have never notice any robot/algo strange behavior.

TOS is freezing constantly during and after price spikes, it’s frozen right now and I just had to exit a position using the iPad.

Results: Won 8k. Lost 13k. Won 13k. Net 8k until now.

Latter I’ll do a “debrief” of today’s trades. Right now I’m refreshing my mind in a cold pool (until my rage due to the platform bug vanishes lol).

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

cory 
virginia

Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

brunobt View Post

TOS is freezing constantly ...

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

you should check out Tradovate, esp. you trade on mobile device.

Thanked by:

brunobt 
Distrito Federal/Brazil

Thanks Given: 77
Thanks Received: 150

Today I was scalping (5 and 1-minute chart) when prices went down strongly against my position. I decided to go with the flow and inverted to take advantage of the possible second leg down. I was particularly happy because I added more contracts and nothing was different (no fear and no greed from a psychological POV).

After a 2-hour pause, I noticed that prices were about to test the "long term" trendline. I shorted [email protected] in the microtrendline breakout and added 20 contracts 20 minutes later, when prices went strong against me (you should expect that before a spike in your direction).

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
spetscom
Niles, Michigan

Thanks Given: 83
Thanks Received: 113

brunobt View Post
Today I was scalping (5 and 1-minute chart) when prices went down strongly against my position. I decided to go with the flow and inverted to take advantage of the possible second leg down. I was particularly happy because I added more contracts and nothing was different (no fear and no greed from a psychological POV).

After a 2-hour pause, I noticed that prices were about to test the "long term" trendline. I shorted [email protected] in the microtrendline breakout and added 20 contracts 20 minutes later, when prices went strong against me (you should expect that before a spike in your direction).

Attachment 257451

Man Bruno I admire your always-in approach. It seems to be working well for you.

Thanked by:
 Arch 
W.Coast, USA.

Platform: Anything
Trading: Emini
Thanks Given: 106
Thanks Received: 381

are you still trading using your same approach?

Thanked by:

michaelroth 
Gillette Wyoming

Experience: Beginner
Platform: ninjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: futures
Thanks Given: 739
Thanks Received: 563

Arch View Post
Trading any size at all on a phone with less than 5% of battery life is nuts.

I read hundreds on FIO posts today. This was my favorite.

Day trading, so easy a caveman could do it.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
biotic
Ostrava Czech Republic

Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 38

Very nice. I agree with your view on the market, even though I currently trade ES and have not touched CL for quite some time.

Big players move the market and it usually pays out to watch for traps.

I am currently trying to quantify my rather intuitive trading, though - trying to create some playbooks with repeating scenarios. In general for most traders trading intuitively is a killer, though - I feel that market movements are often so fast, that you need to know in advance, what to look out for. As soon as one starts to think while trading, he usually starts to lose money.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on February 3, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts