NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

My challenge of being a consistent trader

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one asyx with 63 posts (77 thanks)
    2. looks_two wldman with 4 posts (12 thanks)
    3. looks_3 teamtc247 with 2 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 LittleFinger with 2 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one TheShrike with 13 thanks per post
    2. looks_two xplorer with 7 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 wldman with 3 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 asyx with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 11,624 views
    2. thumb_up 129 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 79 posts
    2. attach_file 5 attachments

Search this Thread

My challenge of being a consistent trader

asyx 
not important

Experience: None
Platform: not important
Trading: not important
Thanks Given: 406
Thanks Received: 142

Friday is my second worst day in regard to total performance.
Therefor today I will sit a lot on my hands.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index

asyx 
not important

Grantx View Post
What contracts are you trading and how much are the commissions?

What do you mean the chances of limit order getting hit are worse? Spreads with lmax seem pretty good to me. For instance gold with most brokers averages 50 but lmax fluctuates between 10-20 sometimes lower. On an instrument that can easily move +1000 ticks in a day that spread is nothing.

Of course if you attempting to scalp forex market then you will get your ass handed to you in commissions and spread. That's where futures are probably better.

With LMAX I looked at Gold, NatGas, WTI and EquityIndixes. With futures copper, too.
Regarding commissions(I mean also clearing and other fees) for futures, e.g. Gold, for most retail traders, all in for a round turn is below $ 4 or at least $ 5. The equivalent with LMAX is approx. $ 6.5 if I remember right. If you trade LMAX smallest contracts for the EquityIndexes the equivalent to a futures contract is $ 12 something.

Assume you want to buy via a limit order. When there are many people playing with each other then probability someone is hitting with his market order in your resting bid is higher than if it is in a case where it is only you and the market maker. If price is bursting through all levels it is not a big issue. It is different if you are at an inflection point, which is quite often in my daily trading, it is an disadvantage if no one is willing to hit your limit. LMAX gold has a spread of 1.2 which is ok. But look at the other: Natgas 5, WTI also 4-6 , Equity 2. If you are forced to use markets orders a lot of time, always leaving there 2-3 ticks or more, then no doubt this has impact on your performance. For some systems this difference means success or failure. I also compared COMEX Gold and Micro-Gold futures. With the Micro it is the same like with LMAX. The lack of participants and the spread: you do not get the same fills.

asyx 
not important

TraderTS View Post
@asyx
I thought of you when I watch this old webinar again. TopstepTrader Intervention featuring FuturesTrader71, published 12-04-2015

Thanks for the video. Could only recommend it to everybody.

Thanked by:
 asyx 
not important

@TheShrike , @teamtc247

I am on futures.io several years but have not participated a lot. Part is, it takes me relatively long to write down my thoughts in a foreigh language.

Nevertheless I try to participate a little bit more in the future. Helps me to reflect on myself.
That is also in part reason of my journal.
Your additional perspectives makes me think. Which could only do good to my development.

teamtc247 
Fairburn, Georgia

Thanks Given: 644
Thanks Received: 1,116

asyx View Post
@TheShrike , @teamtc247

I am on futures.io several years but have not participated a lot. Part is, it takes me relatively long to write down my thoughts in a foreigh language.

Nevertheless I try to participate a little bit more in the future. Helps me to reflect on myself.
That is also in part reason of my journal.
Your additional perspectives makes me think. Which could only do good to my development.

Schauen Sie sich Lisa Nichols und Tom Bilyeu an, sie haben einige gute Sachen in Bezug auf Motivation und Erfolg veröffentlicht. Tom hat eigentlich einen YouTube-Kanal, alle seine Inhalte sind kostenlos.

Check out Lisa Nichols and Tom Bilyeu, they put out some pretty good stuff in terms of motivation and success. Tom actually has a YouTube channel, all his content is free.

Process oriented goals #1.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

TraderTS 
Texas, USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: AMP Futures w/ CQG Data Feed
Trading: ES+MES+TechStocks as of 2022 Previous: ES GC CL [4MES2ES as of 2019MAY] and [4MGC2GC as of 2021JAN]
Thanks Given: 281
Thanks Received: 389

TraderTS View Post
@asyx
I thought of you...
Most of all, give yourself time!

Hey,
I thought of you again... I am writing a trading journal for myself, and for other newbies.
Check it out, ok?

Hope you are doing well!

Find the missing piece of the puzzle... Let's be amazing, be awesome in trading today!
iTS
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 asyx 
not important

Last few months I racked my brain a lot over how I should tackle the trading puzzle.
Took some time, but I also think I got my self straight again and found my trading style.

I looked at a lot of markets and found that I do better in faster markets like NQ/CL than in slower markets.

Focusing on only one market, in general, is pretty rewarding as you learn all the ins and outs. Nevertheless, my brain wants to be busy. It turned out that I do better when I watch 2-3 markets.
More is confusing me. With less, I overtrade even if I know that one market better.

From now on, I mainly practice a scalping style. I tried different ones but I sucked completely at them.
I know that some experienced people are strictly against this.
However, for me, this turned out to be the only way to make my "Slope" go up.
Whenever I tried a different style, having in the back of my mind that scalping is "evil", I started to lose...and I always lost big.

Instead of how much a trader should make daily or how much I lost already, I now focus on stats regarding consistency and risk.

So - let it begin

Thanked by:
 asyx 
not important

# of trades: 7
winning trades net: 86 %
profit factor net: 2.4
max. cons. wins net: 6
max. cons. losses net: 1
max. drawdown: 420 $

...I should also count how many trades I executed according to strategy.

Thanked by:
 asyx 
not important

Tuesday is my best performing day. Thatīs why I trade bigger size today.

According to the Stock Traderīs Almanac the US indices performing badly on the second day after the June triple witching. Normally I do not give too much on such statistics.
But the S&P closes in green only 33 % of all cases. As we lately had a little bit up and down, I think many investors bought Puts.
The sellers had therefore a lot of incentives to push up stock prices last week, to make a lot of Puts worthless.
Yesterday we already saw not much interest in buying and today overnight session was already down. Perhaps the above mentioned 33 % is already in the market, perhaps there is another leg down.
Whatever in the end materializes I prefer to join momentum down over any move up and I play the downside with more contracts than moves to the upside.

In Gold there are some sharp intraday corrections, but at the moment it is definitely a Bull market.
Some Big guys announced that they are big in gold.
Thus "all" the small fund managers have joined already or will follow. Will it last? - I donīt know.
Often there seems to be a correction around the corner...

CL is struggling with moving higher.
But from my experience even then there are some guys out there with big enough balls to bid it up another 400 ticks.
I do not like those circumstances and try to sit on my hands.

lemons 
Tallinn, Estonia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: SC
Trading: NAS100

asyx View Post
Tuesday is my best performing day. Thatīs why I trade bigger size today.

Be careful with size today.

Jerome Powell Speaks
8:00 PM GMT + 3

Last Updated on September 27, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts