NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Futures is not for swing trading

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kazz with 21 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two Rrrracer with 8 posts (15 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bfreis with 5 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Massive l with 4 posts (19 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Massive l with 4.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bfreis with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kazz with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,866 views
    2. thumb_up 73 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 48 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Futures is not for swing trading

WoodyFox 
Columbus, Ohio

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 196
Thanks Received: 876

kazz View Post
Thanks @teamtc247

From what I understand day trading during the US overnight is not a good idea due to poor liquidity?

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

What? Totally not the case. I think your putting the cart before the horse. Learn how to trade and that will tell you what kind of account size you need. Different edges require different capital. What is the historical max drawdown of your edge, whats the margin of the studied product, can you scale in, what the typical slippage loss? Lots of questions to answer here. Find and edge and use the statistics of that edge to determine your needed capital.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
15 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
15 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks

teamtc247 
Fairburn, Georgia

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 644
Thanks Received: 1,116

kazz View Post
Thanks @teamtc247

From what I understand day trading during the US overnight is not a good idea due to poor liquidity?

Maybe just watch the last couple hours of the U.S. day session? If you're only trading a few contracts, there is plenty of liquidity. I would stay away from trading stocks out of session. If there is a valid trade setup, traders will be there to trade it.

Process oriented goals #1.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

Platform: TradingView
Broker: Oanda
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 17,582
Thanks Received: 9,752

kazz View Post

In your situation I'd say this is not a big deal... it might be different if you were trading some size but you're not gonna have many problems getting in or out of just a couple contracts at a time, especially if swing trading where a couple ticks here or there shouldn't matter.

Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
kazz
London

Thanks Given: 168
Thanks Received: 78

teamtc247 View Post
Maybe just watch the last couple hours of the U.S. day session? If you're only trading a few contracts, there is plenty of liquidity. I would stay away from trading stocks out of session. If there is a valid trade setup, traders will be there to trade it.

Thanks, that's a good suggestion.

kazz
London

Rrrracer View Post
In your situation I'd say this is not a big deal... it might be different if you were trading some size but you're not gonna have many problems getting in or out of just a couple contracts at a time, especially if swing trading where a couple ticks here or there shouldn't matter.

Thanks @Rrrracer

You're right, with the size I'd be trading l suppose liquidity won't be an issue. However, if l am swing trading then area sessions really relevant as I'm not day trading? Therefore l could plan trades based on EOD NY close data?

Thanked by:

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

kazz View Post
You're right, with the size I'd be trading l suppose liquidity won't be an issue. However, if l am swing trading then area sessions really relevant as I'm not day trading? Therefore l could plan trades based on EOD NY close data?

You will not have a problem with getting in or out Guess the sessions you follow will depend on how long you're talking about holding a trade. Personally, a swing trade in 6E to me would mean holding for a max of maybe 3-4 days, and I would be looking for entries and exits on an intraday basis.

That said, if I would have held that short I took way back in December, my account would be much better off today

Thanked by:
kazz
London

Rrrracer View Post
You will not have a problem with getting in or out Guess the sessions you follow will depend on how long you're talking about holding a trade. Personally, a swing trade in 6E to me would mean holding for a max of maybe 3-4 days, and I would be looking for entries and exits on an intraday basis.

That said, if I would have held that short I took way back in December, my account would be much better off today

Thanks @Rrrracer if you don't mind me asking how much in points would you have been up by?

Rrrracer 
On the road
Webinar Host
Trading Nomad

kazz View Post
Thanks @ Rrrracer if you don't mind me asking how much in points would you have been up by?

I should have said February but the brain was a little foggy last night. But had you been able to get in reasonably toward the top of 6E back then and still be holding it today, you'd be up somewhere in the neighborhood of 1150 ticks per contract. Not too shabby for just letting a trade sit for nine months lol.

Thanked by:
kazz
London

[QUOTE=Rrrracer;700140]I should have said February but the brain was a little foggy last night. But had you been able to get in reasonably toward the top of 6E back then and still be holding it today, you'd be up somewhere in the neighborhood of 1150 ticks per contract. Not too shabby for just letting a trade sit for nine months lol.[/QUOTE @Rrrracer - what? So that's a gain of about$14,375 over 9 months? And this could have been achieved with an account size of $2,500 which is enough to hold an overnight position?

Wow! The power of leverage..

Last Updated on December 8, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts