NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Today, I lost my savings and my career

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Anagami with 10 posts (53 thanks)
    2. looks_two MiniP with 10 posts (33 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Grantx with 7 posts (36 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Onisowo with 5 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one captainquenta with 14 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Anagami with 5.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Grantx with 5.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 MiniP with 3.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 29,769 views
    2. thumb_up 233 thanks given
    3. group 53 followers
    1. forum 110 posts
    2. attach_file 4 attachments

Search this Thread

Today, I lost my savings and my career

vsltradr 
Boise, Idaho/United Sates

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL, 6E, 6J, GC, ES
Thanks Given: 38
Thanks Received: 23

MiniP View Post
its all gambling to an extent, the whole point of an edge is to put things in your favor slightly but there is still a probability that you are wrong.. probabilities = gambling.

-P

By that definition, every business venture that has some level of uncertainty of outcome would be gambling. To me, gambling is the absence of an edge.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
38 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
27 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 Grantx 
Reading UK
Legendary no drama Llama

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 2,826
Thanks Received: 5,058

jbenton View Post
By that definition, every business venture that has some level of uncertainty of outcome would be gambling. To me, gambling is the absence of an edge.

You can put lipstick on a pig. Its still a pig.

Trading. Gambling. Speculation. Betting. All the same thing just different words used to disguise the fact that you are wagering money on an uncertain outcome. Doesnt matter how good your 'edge' is you still dont know what is going to happen next.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

jbenton View Post

a business is a gamble, some one is taking a gamble/risk etc to see if they can win. You are sacrificing one thing in hopes of getting more of something else, usually money. Its all a gamble, i'm not saying gambling is bad but at the end of the day its all similar.

what is it like 9 out of 10 new business don 't last the first year.. sounds like a gamble to me. You can have an edge one day and it not work the next.

I think people are to dedicated to there edge, that's why we see people who kill it in trending markets then go broke when we range. Same goes with business if apple kept selling the first iphone they would have gone out of business but they keep changing and developing new products and taking a risk to see if the public will continue to consume them.

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Grantx View Post
You can put lipstick on a pig. Its still a pig.

Trading. Gambling. Speculation. Betting. All the same thing just different words used to disguise the fact that you are wagering money on an uncertain outcome. Doesnt matter how good your 'edge' is you still dont know what is going to happen next.

BINGO

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Thanked by:
 vsltradr 
Boise, Idaho/United Sates

Trading: CL, 6E, 6J, GC, ES
Thanks Given: 38
Thanks Received: 23

MiniP View Post
a business is a gamble, some one is taking a gamble/risk etc to see if they can win. You are sacrificing one thing in hopes of getting more of something else, usually money. Its all a gamble, i'm not saying gambling is bad but at the end of the day its all similar.

what is it like 9 out of 10 new business don 't last the first year.. sounds like a gamble to me. You can have an edge one day and it not work the next.

I think people are to dedicated to there edge, that's why we see people who kill it in trending markets then go broke when we range. Same goes with business if apple kept selling the first iphone they would have gone out of business but they keep changing and developing new products and taking a risk to see if the public will continue to consume them.

-P

Deciding to get out of bed this morning was a "gamble".
I'd say most people associate the act of "gambling" with high risk / guessing. By definition though, I hear what you're saying.

Thanked by:

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

MiniP View Post

-P

Indeed, isn't everything a gamble (i.e. doesn't everything have an uncertain outcome)?

You get married, you gamble. (Not unlike a trade, with a 50/50 % chance.)
You choose a career, you gamble.
You have kids, you gamble.
You cross a busy street, you gamble.

Precisely what life outcomes have absolute certain outcomes?
I can't think of many.

Oh wait. Death and taxes.
Well, some DO avoid taxes.

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

jbenton View Post
Deciding to get out of bed this morning was a "gamble".
I'd say most people associate the act of "gambling" with high risk / guessing. By definition though, I hear what you're saying.

penny slots are low risk and still considered a gamble, most people consider high risks as a gamble because most likely they aren't financially educated. Same reason why people think there house is the best gamble/risk/investment they will make. Most will make a few grand and have thousands tied up for years and years that they could have easily made double if they put there money in some index fund.

Everything is a gamble in life, edges are just supposed to help us know when the gamble "might" be in our favor

FYI the educated comment wasn't a dig at you.

-P

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Anagami View Post
Indeed, isn't everything a gamble (i.e. doesn't everything have an uncertain outcome)?

You get married, you gamble. (Not unlike a trade, with a 50/50 % chance.)
You choose a career, you gamble.
You have kids, you gamble.
You cross a busy street, you gamble.

Precisely what life outcomes have absolute certain outcomes?
I can't think of many.

Oh wait. Death and taxes.
Well, some DO avoid taxes.

lets see absolute outcomes..
people getting offended by other opinions lol

-P

Thanked by:

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

MiniP View Post
lets see absolute outcomes..
people getting offended by other opinions lol

-P

Human stupidity also likewise takes on an absolute appearance at times.
(And no, I would not exclude myself from that.)

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Anagami View Post
Human stupidity also likewise takes on an absolute appearance at times.
(And no, I would not exclude myself from that.)

some weeks its a daily occurrence for me ha

-P

Last Updated on December 9, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts