xevanchan 
New York City, NY

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ninjatrader 8
Broker: Dorman Trading
Trading: emini ES/NQ
Thanks Given: 173
Thanks Received: 297

I'm pretty disappointed in my trading so far today; my mind isn't making reflexive decisions and I'm unsure why things are happening. I had a few questions after this trade.

I was stopped out for 6 ticks on a breakout trade. Prior to the trade, the price had bounced off the support point 2732 at least 4 times, and had failed to break out of resistance twice at 2735.50. I did notice significant long volume, especially about 800 orders on the DOM at 2310 after I had already placed the trade. After chopping between the two points for an hour, it broke out, downwards, and filled the stop buy I had places 2 ticks under support. (2 ticks because I always get filled and faked out with one)

This has happened to me several times; at 10:44, I am close to hitting my 2 point target, maybe 6-7 ticks. I don't get filled, and the market hits a complete 180 and the next candle is the same size as the previous one, in the opposite direction. I lose my only opportunity to cover, and am stopped. The only way I see this being preventable is a trailing stop loss. How did the short momentum dissipate that rapidly? The same scenario happened to me yesterday.

My understanding is that overnight the market had strong upward momentum, and what I thought was a downtrend was probably consolidation before continuation. I suppose the "breakout" was just the final leg of the retrace?

Following this fakeout, the market proceeded to shoot up nearly 10 points, but wasn't really presenting solid entry points, with no retraces of more than one candle. These moves are often the most significant; I can never seem to catch them, and if I join halfway through, you know how FOMO goes. This move happened directly after a downtrend (or consolidation in the longer chart), and I would have never predicted it. How can I join in on these huge moves? Using measured moves maybe?

imagine all the people living life in peace
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ES 03-19 (5000 Volume) 2019_02_12 (11_01_43 AM) FBO.png
Views:	263
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	262652  
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
48 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks

Last Updated on February 12, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts