NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

"outstanding quantitative skills" - what does this mean in trading context?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one snax with 10 posts (1 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 3 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 artemiso with 2 posts (3 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one artemiso with 1.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 1.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 shodson with 1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 SidewalkAerobics with 1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 2,608 views
    2. thumb_up 11 thanks given
    3. group 7 followers
    1. forum 18 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

"outstanding quantitative skills" - what does this mean in trading context?

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

Lots of good points by @SidewalkAerobics @shodson @iantg and @artemiso so I won't repeat them. Something that hasn't been mentioned though is that in many (but not all) firms quants, developers, trading analysts and traders are four distinctly different jobs. Additionally risk groups will often have their own quants (and develops and analysts) which for obvious reasons are typically kept distinctly separate from the commercial staff. Finally firms that have sales or marketing teams (thinking structured deals not advertising) ie banks, and in my experience energy trading companies, also have marketers/sales (commercial) and deal structurers (analytical) which are separate again.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks

snax 
Chicago, IL
Legendary Price Action Student

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker: Edge Clear
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 9,612
Thanks Received: 9,622

SMCJB View Post
Lots of good points by @SidewalkAerobics @shodson @iantg and @artemiso so I won't repeat them. Something that hasn't been mentioned though is that in many (but not all) firms quants, developers, trading analysts and traders are four distinctly different jobs. Additionally risk groups will often have their own quants (and develops and analysts) which for obvious reasons are typically kept distinctly separate from the commercial staff. Finally firms that have sales or marketing teams (thinking structured deals not advertising) ie banks, and in my experience energy trading companies, also have marketers/sales (commercial) and deal structurers (analytical) which are separate again.

Great stuff, thank you SMCJB!

All these job-postings seem to emphasize "time-pressure" and fast critical thinking. They seem to describe a panicked, adversarial atmosphere, maybe I am mis-interpreting the meaning behind the expectations listed. I feel like they are all trying to follow the same model which to me seems odd. If I were trying to maximize my firm's P/L I would try to make sure everyone was happy and feeling free to think and be creative, but again, I'm just a novice trader

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

if you replaced "panicked, adversarial atmosphere" with "high paced and competitive atmosphere" I would probably agree with you - at least on the desks I worked on. That is not mutually exclusive to "happy and feeling free to think and be creative" though. Pressure and expectations are normally high, but they tend to also be "work hard, play hard" environments.

Thanked by:

snax 
Chicago, IL

@SMCJB Thanks! I'd like to learn more about what your experiences were like when you have time or are willing.

artemiso 
New York, NY

Platform: Vanguard 401k
Broker: Yahoo Finance
Trading: Mutual funds
Thanks Given: 784
Thanks Received: 2,685

Good post by @SMCJB, agreed pretty much about the types of jobs.

Also bear in mind that Optiver is an electronic market making firm. At most electronic market making firms, I feel that "fast-paced" and "competitive" is actually some nonsense spun by HR staff who have no idea what they're talking about.

I find that a better term for the atmosphere is that everyone feels a deep sense of responsibility. If you wrote a strategy, you feel a deep sense of responsibility to check on its progress and make sure your traders are adequately informed on how to operate the strategy. If you are a trader, you may feel a deep sense of responsibility to have everything ready by market open and check all your positions and run post-trade analysis after the close. If you are a developer, you feel a deep sense of responsibility to fix any bugs assigned to you or attributable to you intraday, because a good amount of money is on the line.

A side effect of feeling that you have a lot of responsibilities is that you may feel rushed, but this is not the "Wolf of Wall Street" kind of environment where "fast-paced" is about picking up phones, people frantically shouting at each other. Quite the contrary, it's usually very quiet and everyone's very composed at a firm like Optiver.

Thanked by:

snax 
Chicago, IL

Thank you again @artemiso!

I can definitely relate to the sense of responsibility, that wouldn't be a problem

cheers,
snax

snax 
Chicago, IL

First of all, thank you to anyone who replied so kindly, I realize that this was a very novice question, but you all gave thoughtful and kind responses. I appreciate it.

After doing more research I've delineated two broad/rough (of course exceptions exist) sets of roles that seem to emerge:
1) quantitative/algorithmic - mostly automate HFT market-making systems.
2) discretionary - freedom to trade as they like, but most have steep prerequisites in terms of proven track-record, P/L, etc.

the discretionary role begs the question...if I can meet those steep reqs for proven ability, why would I come work for you instead of being my own boss.

I think my goal right now is to either:

1) find a place that would take a "novice" discretionary trader who has a heart of gold.
2) just continue grinding the way I am now, which isn't so bad except its a second full-time job.

Anyway I know more now than when I posted this.

Thanks all!

snax

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

snax View Post
After doing more research I've delineated two broad/rough (of course exceptions exist) sets of roles that seem to emerge:
1) quantitative/algorithmic - mostly automate HFT market-making systems.
2) discretionary - freedom to trade as they like, but most have steep prerequisites in terms of proven track-record, P/L, etc.

At least with regards to 1) I think you are being far to black and white. Yes there are lots of quants employed in HFT/market making but there's also a lot of quants employed in other roles. Not all models are trying to be trading predictive. There's also automated systematic trading, thinking CTAs, which can be extremely different to HFT.

snax View Post
the discretionary role begs the question...if I can meet those steep reqs for proven ability, why would I come work for you instead of being my own boss.

Because you probably don't have the Capital to do it.

snax View Post
I think my goal right now is to either:

1) find a place that would take a "novice" discretionary trader who has a heart of gold.
2) just continue grinding the way I am now, which isn't so bad except its a second full-time job.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Thanked by:

snax 
Chicago, IL

SMCJB View Post
At least with regards to 1) I think you are being far to black and white. Yes there are lots of quants employed in HFT/market making but there's also a lot of quants employed in other roles. Not all models are trying to be trading predictive. There's also automated systematic trading, thinking CTAs, which can be extremely different to HFT.

Because you probably don't have the Capital to do it.

Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Thank you as always, @SMCJB.

1) yes, you are right, I am indeed being too black and white. But I am kind of thinking of it as more like "jobs that don't sound *as* appealing or as good a fit for me as the discretionary trading roles.

2) I had just read a requirement of "showing P/L in the mid-6-digits or better" and thought that this trader must be getting compensated enough to strike off on their own if they were unhappy with the last place, but I could be wrong. I didn't qualify that very well, I was being lazy.

3) Thank you! Worst case scenario, I just keep working and improving on my own

cheers

Last Updated on March 16, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts