NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Can Day Trading be profitable for retail?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one jefforey with 21 posts (9 thanks)
    2. looks_two wldman with 10 posts (33 thanks)
    3. looks_3 artemiso with 10 posts (71 thanks)
    4. looks_4 blb014 with 9 posts (5 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one michaelleemoore with 13.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 8.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 artemiso with 7.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 wldman with 3.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 45,208 views
    2. thumb_up 370 thanks given
    3. group 30 followers
    1. forum 105 posts
    2. attach_file 6 attachments

View Poll Results: Can Day Trading be profitable, consistently, for retail traders
Yes 133 69.27%
Yes
133 69.27%
No 23 11.98%
No
23 11.98%
Can't say 36 18.75%
Can't say
36 18.75%
Voters: 192. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

jefforey 
edison new jersey

Experience: None
Platform: motivewave
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 45
Thanks Received: 18

My opinion is : No, It cannot be profitable. I have been backtesting, simulating, live testing for the last 5 years and my opinion is that given the commissions, slippage etc retail user cannot be profitable consistently. But if the same strategy is run by a broker (who does not pay commission on his own trades) it will be immensely profitable. Add co-location which further improves the chances of limit order execution and decrease slippage the profit increases further. Add reduced exchange fees (some brokers have this privilege) than profits increase further. What is your opinion? My observations are based on trading es and other index futures like nifty etc.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Ninja Mobile Trader VPS (ninjamobiletrader.com)
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
37 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
22 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
22 thanks
The Program
20 thanks

Tymbeline 
Leeds UK
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: MES, MNQ
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 2,343
Thanks Received: 1,054

jefforey View Post

Certainly. This forum has many members who are steadily profitable daytraders.

I'd agree that among aspiring traders (retail ones) the proportion who ever achieve steady, reliable profitability is probably lower with daytrading than is the case for most other "types" of trader - for the reasons you mention, among others - but very clearly it's possible.

Thanked by:

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Experience: Advanced
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

Can golf? Can tennis?

Not the way most people play it.

Check out the Jigsaw Trading Leaderboard.

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.
Thanked by:
 jefforey 
edison new jersey

Anagami View Post
Can golf? Can tennis?

Not the way most people play it.

Check out the Jigsaw Trading Leaderboard.

Well, there maybe exceptions but I am yet to see a day-trader being consistently profitable for at-least, say, 5-years. In tennis or golf the ratio of professionals versus wannabes is 1:10000. That means for every tennis player making money from playing championships there are 10000 others who don't make any money from it. I am talking about Day-Trading as a means of earning a livelihood.

Thanked by:

Anagami 
Cancun, Mexico
Legendary Market Hustler

Experience: Advanced
Trading: MES
Thanks Given: 707
Thanks Received: 2,300

jefforey View Post
Well, there maybe exceptions but I am yet to see a day-trader being consistently profitable for at-least, say, 5-years. In tennis or golf the ratio of professionals versus wannabes is 1:10000. That means for every tennis player making money from playing championships there are 10000 others who don't make any money from it. I am talking about Day-Trading as a means of earning a livelihood.

TST has 100s of profitable day traders that are funded and trading. I don't know if they have been around for 5 years or not.

The thing, when you have found your edge and you KNOW it... you don't need to ask anyone else, or try to prove or disprove if it's possible. You are profitable, and you know WHY you are profitable. That is professional confidence. Not merely making money but knowing why you do.

You just haven't found your edge. Don't give up bud. All the best.

You are never in the wrong place... but sometimes you are in the right place looking at things in the wrong way.

lemons 
Tallinn, Estonia

Experience: Beginner
Platform: SC
Trading: NAS100

jefforey View Post
I am yet to see a day-trader being consistently profitable for at-least, say, 5-years. .

If I close my eye it goes dark outside

jefforey 
edison new jersey

Thankyou for the feedback guys. Please keep it coming. I want to be proved wrong. I want to believe that day-trading could be a bread-winner profession. Haven't seen any evidence that would suggest that but if you have then please share it here.

Also, I want to know if brokerages such Goldman Sachs pay commission, exchange fees on their prop trades?

mrphr 
London

Platform: .
Trading: .
Thanks Given: 65
Thanks Received: 182

"Can Day Trading be profitable for retail"?

It depends what is ones definition of day trading.

High Frequency Trading - No
Scalping - Maybe
Day Trading - Yes

Thanked by:

TheShrike 
Bridgeport, Ct

Broker: Tasty
Trading: Fops
Thanks Given: 1,588
Thanks Received: 922

jefforey View Post
My opinion is : No, It cannot be profitable. I have been backtesting, simulating, live testing for the last 5 years and my opinion is that given the commissions, slippage etc retail user cannot be profitable consistently. But if the same strategy is run by a broker (who does not pay commission on his own trades) it will be immensely profitable. Add co-location which further improves the chances of limit order execution and decrease slippage the profit increases further. Add reduced exchange fees (some brokers have this privilege) than profits increase further. What is your opinion? My observations are based on trading es and other index futures like nifty etc.

You're operating under a lot of false pretenses. Brokers don't engage in most of the things you've listed here. HFT trading firms probably yes, but those aren't the people you should be competing against anyway. You'll never win trying to beat them at ultra short term trading from your home office. It sounds like you've created a boogeyman as to why the things you've been testing haven't worked. Try expanding your time horizon and leaving the realm of short term trading/simulation/backtesting. Then you'll at least have a fighting chance.

Last Updated on July 17, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts