NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

M6E and volume for beginners

Discussion in Currencies

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one tturner86 with 7 posts (24 thanks)
    2. looks_two Rory with 6 posts (5 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kazz with 6 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Tymbeline with 5 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tturner86 with 3.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Devil Man with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Tymbeline with 1.2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Rory with 0.8 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 20,444 views
    2. thumb_up 43 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 42 posts
    2. attach_file 3 attachments

Search this Thread

M6E and volume for beginners

MaxT 
Milwaukee, WI

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MultiCharts.NET SE
Trading: Index Futures
Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 5

Hello everyone,
My plan was to start scalping futures with M6E due to the smaller $ amount per tick so I don't blow up my account (at least not as quickly ). I definitely want to size my risk based on my account size and control my emotions. But the volume seems dead compared to ES or NQ.

https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/fx/e-micros/e-micro-euro.html

Only 15k contracts today on September period (almost nothing on December).

I don't expect it to be as liquid as ES, but I am not sure if this is even suitable for scalping. Am I missing something?

Should I be focusing on Forex micro lots instead? For me that would mean using a different platform and Forex instead of futures.

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
34 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Vinny E-Mini & Algobox Review TRADE ROOM
13 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
12 thanks

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

MaxT View Post
Hello everyone,
My plan was to start scalping futures with M6E due to the smaller $ amount per tick so I don't blow up my account (at least not as quickly ). I definitely want to size my risk based on my account size and control my emotions. But the volume seems dead compared to ES or NQ.

https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/fx/e-micros/e-micro-euro.html

Only 15k contracts today on September period (almost nothing on December).

I don't expect it to be as liquid as ES, but I am not sure if this is even suitable for scalping. Am I missing something?

Should I be focusing on Forex micro lots instead? For me that would mean using a different platform and Forex instead of futures.

DO NOT TRY AND SCALP M6E. I trade it very often. It will not work. One reason you didn't mention is commission cost vs tick size means a breakeven on M6E is 5-6 ticks. Also the lack of vol will make it hard to exit where you intend.

I trade M6E on a weekly timeframe. Therefor a few ticks of slippage doesn't matter. If you try to scalp M6E you could easily lose every trade just because you won't get filled where you intend.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 MaxT 
Milwaukee, WI

tturner86 View Post
DO NOT TRY AND SCALP M6E. I trade it very often. It will not work. One reason you didn't mention is commission cost vs tick size means a breakeven on M6E is 5-6 ticks. Also the lack of vol will make it hard to exit where you intend.

I trade M6E on a weekly timeframe. Therefor a few ticks of slippage doesn't matter. If you try to scalp M6E you could easily lose every trade just because you won't get filled where you intend.

Makes sense. I guess that volume is typical for M6E. I didn't realize it wasn't suitable for scalping.
Guess I'll have to practice with Forex micro lots.

Thank you for the information!

Thanked by:

tturner86 
Portland, Oregon

Platform: F-16CM-40
Trading: GBU-39
Thanks Given: 10,459
Thanks Received: 12,695

MaxT View Post
Makes sense. I guess that volume is typical for M6E. I didn't realize it wasn't suitable for scalping.

Thank you for the information!

M6E is perfect for if you want to learn how to trade on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Because the cost and margins are so small I found it easier to take and hold a trade longer.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 MaxT 
Milwaukee, WI

tturner86 View Post
M6E is perfect for if you want to learn how to trade on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. Because the cost and margins are so small I found it easier to take and hold a trade longer.

Got it. Great info! Thanks!

Thanked by:

Leon of Pizza 
St. Louis

Experience: Beginner
Platform: thinkorswim, NT8
Trading: equity and fx futures and options
Thanks Given: 99
Thanks Received: 192

MaxT View Post

I've never traded spot but I suspect that the micro lots will also have relatively similar spread widths as the various futures products. And why make the hassle of opening another book? I would suggest that its possible to adapt most futures strategies from one product to the next. Run your numbers and include the aforementioned commish ratio and an estimated slip. You can increase the risk and reward ranges with the smaller leverage, and then see what the commish and slip expense looks like in the larger range. Slip estimates should be approx twice as large for stop orders. Think in terms of converting a 1-2 tick slip expectancy on the full size to a proportional value on the micro.

Also, you can use the 6E chart and volume for planning trades. They exhibit a tight correlation in most conditions, but be careful at news time. Use the DOM to get a read on the micro's spread. Not just the width, but excursion of the bid ask in relation to the full size product. And use charts that plot bid, ask and mark to get a feel for it.

Itchymoku 
Philadelphia

Experience: None
Platform: corded black telephone
Trading: ticker tape
Thanks Given: 1,683
Thanks Received: 3,681

i can't think of any benefit m6e gives over spot forex. However, there is a benefit to trading 6e if you have a large enough account size.

6e benefits are the commission to pip ratio which is pretty much 1 pip (tick) for commission and you get to do volume analysis. Both of those benefits aren't really present with m6e considering the spread and lack of volume.

R.I.P. Joseph Bach (Itchymoku), 1987-2018.
Please visit this thread for more information.
 Jaba 
Austin TX

Platform: SaintGobain Crystal Ball
Trading: 6E
Thanks Given: 103
Thanks Received: 134

Itchymoku View Post
i can't think of any benefit m6e gives over spot forex. However, there is a benefit to trading 6e if you have a large enough account size.

6e benefits are the commission to pip ratio which is pretty much 1 pip (tick) for commission and you get to do volume analysis. Both of those benefits aren't really present with m6e considering the spread and lack of volume.

fwiw, and if I'm not mistaken, as I don't deal with spot fx, the tax treatment of spot forex profits is different from futures. You pay additional Social Security /self employment tax on Spot FX (on top of the regular profit tax), and only 60/40 on futures.
JB

Thanked by:

Tymbeline 
Leeds UK
Market Wizard

Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradovate
Trading: MES, MNQ
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 2,347
Thanks Received: 1,057

Jaba View Post
the tax treatment of spot forex profits is different from futures. You pay additional Social Security /self employment tax on Spot FX (on top of the regular profit tax), and only 60/40 on futures.

Please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, but it varies greatly from country to country (I mention it only because this is such an international forum): over here, forex (and other) trading is entirely tax-free - no income tax and no capital gains tax - if it's done via spreadbetting. Which makes a huge difference to us, of course.

Last Updated on February 14, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts