NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Better to trader forex or futures with small account?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one sledmt with 5 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two jodistrict with 3 posts (4 thanks)
    3. looks_3 lovetotrade with 2 posts (17 thanks)
    4. looks_4 TraderFx1 with 2 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one lovetotrade with 8.5 thanks per post
    2. looks_two torroray with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 bastiaan with 2 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 jodistrict with 1.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 19,006 views
    2. thumb_up 33 thanks given
    3. group 27 followers
    1. forum 34 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Better to trader forex or futures with small account?

MacroNinja 
Buenos Aires Argentina

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NT, MT4, Sierra
Trading: S&P, Bonds, Crude, FX
Thanks Given: 37
Thanks Received: 256

For sure a $2,000 account trading futures is just asking for trouble, just asking for the account to run into margin trouble. If you're thinking is that you're good enough to instantly build that account to $5,000 with a minimal draw down, then you'd probably already had a larger bank roll (either your own or financial backers).

This is probably not the advice you want to hear, but try to save up to at least $10,000 before trying to make money off trading, otherwise you'll probably make more net money working at a McDonald's. Even assuming you made 300% on the small account, which would be stellar, you're account would still only be at $6,000 before taxes.

In the mean time, you can practice and test your strategies off demo. If the strategies don't work in demo, they won't work in a live account. Also in demo, assume the demo gives you unrealistic fills, so always assume you had to pay the highest price offered on the spread.

Of course, if you still want to pursue it as a hobby, then micros on FX would at least give you a small enough incremental order size to properly manage risk.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
24 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
21 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
trooper5010
Seattle, WA

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

torroray View Post
Start with Ninja Brokerage with 1,000.

Trade M6E, tick size is $1.25 per contract.

Daytrade Margin is $250.

Do you know what relatively the best times are to trade on this instrument? Or really, how I may be able to find out (or what indicator should I use?)

jodistrict 
san diego

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: FXCM MarketScope, NT, Interactive brokers, AMP
Broker: FXCM, Interactive Brokers
Trading: FOREX, IWM, SPY, XLE, NQ
Thanks Given: 72
Thanks Received: 145

I recently opened up an account with FXCM. I have been trading for a week and have been pleased with the experience. There haven't been any technical problems and setting it up was straightforward. I am placing trades using the chart trader provided by Marketscope2.0. I am also able to connect simultaneously to NinjaTrader to seem my NT charts when I want. Marketscope also instantly generates a detailed report of your trading history for the day whenever you want it.

If you are a beginner, I recommend forex over futures and stocks.

With forex, you can start out trading microlots, which are only .10 cents per pip. This is a great way to learn. You are trading for real money which is better than simulation, but the amounts are small enough to not damage your account to badly while you are learning. The margin for a micro is only $24. As you become profitable you can work yourself up to larger sizes. With futures, the minimum size you can trade is m6e, which on Interactive Brokers would be $2 plus fees for a roundtrip. The equivalent Forex size would be a 10K contract which is 80 cents commission for a roundtrip.

Here is the summary to show that Forex is more efficient for small contract sizes.

FXCM 10k contract (about a dollar per pip)
Round Trip commission .80 cents
Margin $240

Interactive Brokers m6e (about a dollar per tick)
Round trip commission 2.50
Margin $726

Thanked by:
 dstrunin 
New York City + New York/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 11

Micro lot FX, hands down. Don't touch futures with a small account.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 Obelixtrader 
Slovakia

Platform: Ninjatrader 8
Broker: Interactive Brokers,Tastytrade,Birdwingo
Trading: K200M,KOSDQ150,US stock option
Thanks Given: 116
Thanks Received: 109

jodistrict View Post
Margin $726

Its not 2.50 its 0,64 usd for roundtrip

Thanked by:
 mamax98 
Los Angeles California United States

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NT, TS, MC
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 152
Thanks Received: 13

An important factor is risk management. Micros are good for that when considering a small account.

jodistrict 
san diego

I have been trading the EUR/USD on my FXCM account and the m6e on Interactive Brokers for about two weeks. It's easier trading the EUR/USD because it always has liquidity and is moving. The m6e moves slower and runs out of liquidity by about 11 a.m. I can trade EUR/USD all day long. One negative is that there are really quick, sudden HFT like moves on the EUR/USD. One move slipped my stop by 15 pips. I am still experimenting but it may take wider stops on EUR/USD.

sledmt
Kalispell montana

Thanks Given: 157
Thanks Received: 23

jodistrict View Post
I recently opened up an account with FXCM. I have been trading for a week and have been pleased with the experience. There haven't been any technical problems and setting it up was straightforward. I am placing trades using the chart trader provided by Marketscope2.0. I am also able to connect simultaneously to NinjaTrader to seem my NT charts when I want. Marketscope also instantly generates a detailed report of your trading history for the day whenever you want it.

If you are a beginner, I recommend forex over futures and stocks.

With forex, you can start out trading microlots, which are only .10 cents per pip. This is a great way to learn. You are trading for real money which is better than simulation, but the amounts are small enough to not damage your account to badly while you are learning. The margin for a micro is only $24. As you become profitable you can work yourself up to larger sizes. With futures, the minimum size you can trade is m6e, which on Interactive Brokers would be $2 plus fees for a roundtrip. The equivalent Forex size would be a 10K contract which is 80 cents commission for a roundtrip.

Here is the summary to show that Forex is more efficient for small contract sizes.

FXCM 10k contract (about a dollar per pip)
Round Trip commission .80 cents
Margin $240

Margin $726

Was looking into the forex market. Was wondering how your trading is going?

jodistrict 
san diego

sledmt View Post
Was looking into the forex market. Was wondering how your trading is going?

I am using the Marketscope platform on FXCM. I enter trades with their chart trader. It's not as fast as ninja trader but it hasn't been too bad. I haven't had any technical problems except it did lose the server for a few minutes during a time of high volatility. Once nice thing is you just click the report button and get a detailed report of your trades.

Thanked by:
bastiaan
Luxembourg, Luxembourg

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 9

I would probably start with spot forex as opposed to futures. Futures have their advantages as well, such as an order book and direct order routing to the exchange. But if you're going to be trading microlots, then execution is not going to be a real issue. I've traded with several FX brokers such as GFT (GAIN), FXCM and IG and executions were very good. As a US resident, you will, however, most probably need to open an account in the US. Although some players have left the brokerage game there, I'm sure you'll find a good one.

And for some reason, placing even a microlot, 10 cents per pip, the trade feels 1000 times more important to you than trading on a paper account!

Thanked by:

Last Updated on May 5, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts