NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Beast Slayer, Lance's NQ Trading Journal

Discussion in Commodities

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one lancelottrader with 843 posts (4,515 thanks)
    2. looks_two redbarntrades with 59 posts (147 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 28 posts (117 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Okina with 23 posts (41 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one lancelottrader with 5.4 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Rrrracer with 4.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 4.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 redbarntrades with 2.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 453,905 views
    2. thumb_up 6,047 thanks given
    3. group 648 followers
    1. forum 1,639 posts
    2. attach_file 251 attachments

Search this Thread

The Beast Slayer, Lance's NQ Trading Journal

lancelottrader 
west palm beach florida usa
Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ninja trader
Broker: Optimus Futures/ Rithmic
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 1,113
Thanks Received: 5,386

Non farm created lots of opportunity today.

Failure is not an option
Started this thread Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks
 lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

Here's some trades I took today.

Failure is not an option
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 10-12 (2 Range)  9_7_2012.jpg
Views:	795
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	88216   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 10-12 (5 Range)  9_7_2012 85 ticks.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	88217   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 10-12 (5 Range)  9_7_2012 60 ticks.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	88218  
 lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

The funny thing is...for a long time I wasn't really following my own system and it's rules completely. The rules were to enter at certain "hotzone " times of the day in conjunction with several other indicators lining up ..stops generally kept at no more than 10 ticks..and to ride out the trade untill my software gave me an exit signal. The exits are a breach of the black spine on my 2 range chart..or a an exit signal on my 5 range. Instead, I was getting out of a lot of trades at 10 ticks..or whenever I felt the price had gone far enough. The truth is, you never can tell how far it will go. So I started forcing myself to stay in until the exit signals came from the software. Now, I'm starting to get 40 - 100 tick moves on almost a daily basis. Yes, sometimes I'm up 20 ticks and I end up breaking even..but the upside is catching some huge moves. Instead of being happy with a 50 tick week, I have had a few 200- 300 tick weeks..just by following my system. Discipline is truly the key.

Failure is not an option
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CL 10-12 (5 Range)  9_7_2012 80 ticks.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	88223   Click image for larger version

Name:	CL 10-12 (5 Range)  9_7_2012 50 ticks.jpg
Views:	674
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	88224  

trvlntrdr 
Reno, NV

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: Currency--just started
Thanks Given: 478
Thanks Received: 115

Well, Lancellot I would like to say thanks for producing this thread for several reasons, 1) you give me encouragement that a trader can develop into a consistently profitable trader 2) you stuck with the thread for months 3) you didnt really change your method much, so we can see that you have found a good system over time and 4) the honesty to post your errors that remind us all that discipline is a daily requirement for all traders, no matter how successful---one can not lose discipline!

lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

trvlntrdr View Post
Well, Lancellot I would like to say thanks for producing this thread for several reasons, 1) you give me encouragement that a trader can develop into a consistently profitable trader 2) you stuck with the thread for months 3) you didnt really change your method much, so we can see that you have found a good system over time and 4) the honesty to post your errors that remind us all that discipline is a daily requirement for all traders, no matter how successful---one can not lose discipline!

Thanks for the comments. The "discipline" thing has been written about a ton of times, but in my case, it's been my biggest obstacle. Obviously, one needs to find a reasonable system...and, most importantly, understand the market conditions in which that system works best in. My system works best when there is directional momentum. That happens towards the opening of a market..3 to 5 minutes after a news release, and at certain times I have seen statistically to yield a big move. I have sincerely believed for a while my system can produce results..unfortunately I have often failed to follow it.
Why? The first emotion that I succumb to is Temptation. The market has numerous fakeouts and traps every day. This is no accident. The Pro's know how to lure you into a trade by making it look like a sure thing. Discipline is the only thing that can keep me out of a trade untill everything in my system lines up. Unfortunately I have failed in this respect many times.

The second big obstacle is fear of loss. When you have been killed as many times as I have trading, it's easy to want to bail out of trade when you're only a few ticks up..or down. I now have to make a commitment to stay in a trade until the market takes me out..not what I think my target should be. It's much easier said then done. On demo, no problem. Live, much harder..but I'm doing it...Finally, I'm really riding out some great moves. But I'm always tempted to bail when I'm up 10 ticks or so.

Another undisciplined issue was abandoning my system after some consecutive losses and doing the revenge trade thing. I now record my commentary while trading, always giving feedback on my emotional state. If I notice that feeling coming on, I walk away. That takes discipline. I realized I can get compulsive and keep coming back to the PC like some deranged Vegas Gambler. It's horrible. My heart pounds, I get sweaty..my blood pressure would go through the roof. It's hard to explain but the results are usually disasterous . I'll pile on double or triple the contracts I usually trade and go into some stupid scalps trying to make it all back in one or two trades. I can never let that happen again.
I decided if I was going to fail, it was going to be because my system sucked. That I can live with. But to fail, after all these years and time and money spent at this..because I couldn't control myself or follow my rules..then that, would be truly sad and pathetic.

Failure is not an option

trvlntrdr 
Reno, NV

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: Currency--just started
Thanks Given: 478
Thanks Received: 115

Wise words. I suspect few traders have avoided those emotional issues. Probably even the real pros in firms struggle with them. I notice almost every time I get excited about a trade it turns out badly. Strangely I am not a real emotional person and not prone to gambling. (Otherwise I couldnt live in Reno!) I need to keep reminding myself of the facts you mention and make sure I develop a system that gives me minimal "wriggle room" to get out of my system. Otherwise I cant determine if the system is the problem or my emotion. Journaling my frame of mind or attitude sounds like a good idea.
Thanks Again!

Thanked by:

wrbtrader 
South France, Chicago U.S.A, Quebec Canada

Platform: X-Trader, CQG, InfinityAT
Trading: Emini ES, Emini RTY (TF), Crude CL, Eurex DAX, Euronext CAC40, EuroFX 6E, and Hang Seng HSI
Thanks Given: 125
Thanks Received: 61

lancelottrader View Post
I have been recording my trading sessions on using the Screen Movie Studio desktop screen recording program and I've found it to be very useful . I do a constant commentary while watching the CL market and announce when I see a viable setup occuring. I have noticed when I watch it back, I can see some patterns consistently emerging before a big move takes off in Oil. Here's kind of what my screen looks like when Oil is about to make a strong push. I reccomend this to traders to be able to review their trades. I record myself stating why I should enter, why I should hold the trade or exit, what the prevailing market conditions are (choppy, trending, chaotic or volatile). I do constant "What-if" scenarios...

This is one of the best self-learning tools and wish more traders would do such.

You recording only one monitor or multiple monitors ?

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
 lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

wrbtrader View Post
This is one of the best self-learning tools and wish more traders would do such.

You recording only one monitor or multiple monitors ?

I use two monitors while trading, but most all my charts and indicators are on 1 monitor. The other monitor has a duplicate chart..but in a zoomed out perspective. This is the chart that automatically draws all price congestion areas and support and resistance lines . I like to watch that chart while I'm managing a trade because when it hits the price congestion areas, I can expect price to bounce. Now as long as price stays within the parameters of my Indicators/moving averages, I can ride it out. But it's nice to understand why the price is bouncing. I call these areas "Speed bumps". So, to answer your question, I am only recording the one monitor that has all the primary charts on it. Mainly cause I haven't figured out how to record both monitors..

Failure is not an option
Thanked by:
 lancelottrader 
Market Wizard

Started out today nicely with this 40 tick pop a few minutes ago.

Failure is not an option
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CL 10-12 (2 Range)  9_11_2012 40 tick move.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	257.3 KB
ID:	88544  

ThatManFromTexas 
Houston,Tx

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Mirus Futures/Zen-Fire
Trading: TF
Thanks Given: 1,206
Thanks Received: 4,350

lancelottrader View Post
Started out today nicely with this 40 tick pop a few minutes ago.

@lancelottrader

I love the way you black out the indicator name ... thank you for sharing ... too funny...

I'm just a simple man trading a simple plan.

My daddy always said, "Every day above ground is a good day!"

Last Updated on April 11, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts