NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Use your brain! Mechanical indicator-based systems don't work

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one cunparis with 17 posts (63 thanks)
    2. looks_two trade2win with 16 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Andrew with 14 posts (6 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Silvester17 with 11 posts (4 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one TAJTrades with 17 thanks per post
    2. looks_two FBJS with 5.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Big Mike with 3.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 cunparis with 3.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 58,227 views
    2. thumb_up 177 thanks given
    3. group 32 followers
    1. forum 111 posts
    2. attach_file 2 attachments

Search this Thread

Use your brain! Mechanical indicator-based systems don't work

benbrooke 
Dallas,tx

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Market Delta
Broker: Velocity /TT
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 216
Thanks Received: 490

guys,

I love this thread but i will take the other side we and explain why we do need indicators.

all brokers pro -traders knows that novice traders use them but don't really study them , they know when the MACD for example will cross and they will fake you out

so i think if we can beat them join them and this is what i do.

here is what you need

1. squawk box - when you trade always know what are the big guys are doing , for example i never fade GS moves or #1 guy in the pit , they are the pro why not follow them

2. have your favorite indicator on the chart (i like the D9) , use it for confirmation and divergence
3. know support and resistance levels :fib numbers , open close pivots , this is what the big guys are looking at
4. understand extreme moves for me i use BB to see extremes

from what i learn in the last 4 years the best trades are always when the markets are in extremes
i will not take a trade if its not next to floor trader pivots major S/R or Fib number

when we get to those levels i found out that my indicators are at extremes with divergences and when we get there i listen carefully to the squawk box
and then join the big guys .

anything else is not really working and this "system" works for all the time but i am using indicators.

hope i help some one.

ban.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
My NT8 Volume Profile Split by Asian/Euro/Open
NinjaTrader
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
26 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
24 thanks
The Program
17 thanks

RJay 
Hartford, CT. USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: AMP/CQG, Kinetick
Trading: RTY
Thanks Given: 756
Thanks Received: 787

trade2win View Post
cunparis,

I disagree with you 100%

Indicators are great. I highly recommend everyone embrace them. Forget S/R, it's quack nonsense.

I have been trading for many years and I can tell you S/R is meaningless and it just doesn't work.

Indicators however, are the key to trading.

Here is my point. If I am successful with indicators, this is what your post sounds like to me. Indicators are just that. They INDICATE WHAT HAS HAPPENED.

Curtis Faith is a fraud cunparis. And for your information, one of the turtles is trading the system still to this day and is a billionaire. (he exposed Faith for what he really is.)

The only take away I got from WOTT was the position sizing. The rest you can fill in the blank with.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that the TF will reach 622 (probably 628) by Friday. Absolute certainty means over 94%, with 6% chance of not getting there.

You take ANY indicator that provides a 1:1 profit factor, and I can filter it and make money with it CONSISTANTLY.

The key piece to the puzzle you have failed to see, but I can assure you it is not the indicator to blame.

I hope I have insulted some, and inspired others. Keep on keeping on, it's there if you want it badly enough...

trade2win,

If you want to impress me and others here, you could start by by not trashing others and their methods.

Instead, impress us with your trading technique. Impress us with your skill.

I assure you we are smart enough to decide for ourselves what is the best fit for each of us.

I believe that each one of us learns something from every other person we come in contact with.

What can I learn from you???

It might be something good!!!! Or Not!!!!

Your Choice,

RJay

Thanked by:
 trade2win 
Chicago

That's very professional of you Mike.

Big Mike View Post
t2w,

I think this may be a more appropriate avatar for you.

Mike

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,172
Thanks Received: 101,532

trade2win View Post
That's very professional of you Mike.

Sorry if it upset you, I meant it in good humor. I'll apologize now and remove the post if you wish.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Poocher 
Los Angeles

Experience: Beginner
Platform: SC, MT,
Broker: Forex
Trading: Forex
Thanks Given: 362
Thanks Received: 109

Trade2win I don't speak for Big Mike but it seems like he's just responding to your post in a way to nudge you on to debate.

Silvester17 
Columbus, OH
Market Wizard

Experience: None
Platform: NT 8, TOS
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5,139
Thanks Received: 11,527

banbrooke,

"anything else is not really working and this "system" works for all the time".

that was a joke, right? I even know one system in this forum (he has his own thread, no names), where you don't stand a chance with your system. I'm glad it's working for you, but please....

my thoughts on your 4 points:

1. rather watch spongebob than listen to squawk box
2. agree, but don't think D9 is very helpful
3. agree with the levels. but going to tell you what big guys are looking for: it's called
order flow. or with other words frontrunning.
4. extreme moves, sure why not. but not with BB

don't want to be rude, but other people are making money too without your system.

trade2win 
Chicago

Rjay,

I have read your posts. You will get this.

Try this for one week.

1. No STOCK NEWS, TV, INTERNET, NOTHING!
2. Pick one instrument. ES is good or TF, or YM for example.
3. Use ONLY NT's "Basic Entry" for all info for that instrument.
4. For tracking info, pen and paper. That is it. You record whatever you want, but you can only get data from your brain and the Basic Entry Windows.
5. No cheating.

The best indicator that guarantees ZERO lag, is a lot that you own. It's either making you money or losing you money and it's happening fast or slow.

If you stare at just the price and build your own tape manually based on key pricing. you will find it's everything you need to make money consistently.

Do that for one week. I would wager that few if any on this board could do it. They would either cheat, change their mind, or do whatever they could to get out of it.

This is why 5% make money, and 95% lose money.

Do this exercise, then come back and tell me what a joker I am.

All you need to make money in the market is price and a pen & paper. This is not to say you can't improve with other information, or make things worse.

The best indicator is your Profit or Loss at that moment. It will tell you if you are on the right side of the market or not.

RJay View Post
trade2win,

If you want to impress me and others here, you could start by by not trashing others and their methods.

Instead, impress us with your trading technique. Impress us with your skill.

I assure you we are smart enough to decide for ourselves what is the best fit for each of us.

I believe that each one of us learns something from every other person we come in contact with.

What can I learn from you???

It might be something good!!!! Or Not!!!!

Your Choice,

RJay

trade2win 
Chicago

Mike,

No way. Joker's are wild!

Besides, I think the Tony Robbins head shot is way funnier.

Big Mike View Post
Sorry if it upset you, I meant it in good humor. I'll apologize now and remove the post if you wish.

Mike

trade2win 
Chicago

I'm not saying your system doesn't work, but it's not for me.

1. Blah! The price will show you faster.

2. Favorite indicator is a live car. It's either green/red with Zero lag.

3. The big guys are looking at inside information and inside the envelopes that you wait for on Weds and Friday mornings. GS for example is looking at what their clients are doing and front running them.

4. I use a pen and paper if I am flat, or I can see the extremes easily because I am either really red or really green. The best part is it's real time and highly accurate.

banbrooke View Post
guys,

I love this thread but i will take the other side we and explain why we do need indicators.

all brokers pro -traders knows that novice traders use them but don't really study them , they know when the MACD for example will cross and they will fake you out

so i think if we can beat them join them and this is what i do.

here is what you need

1. squawk box - when you trade always know what are the big guys are doing , for example i never fade GS moves or #1 guy in the pit , they are the pro why not follow them

2. have your favorite indicator on the chart (i like the D9) , use it for confirmation and divergence
3. know support and resistance levels :fib numbers , open close pivots , this is what the big guys are looking at
4. understand extreme moves for me i use BB to see extremes

from what i learn in the last 4 years the best trades are always when the markets are in extremes
i will not take a trade if its not next to floor trader pivots major S/R or Fib number

when we get to those levels i found out that my indicators are at extremes with divergences and when we get there i listen carefully to the squawk box
and then join the big guys .

anything else is not really working and this "system" works for all the time but i am using indicators.

hope i help some one.

ban.

trade2win 
Chicago

Sharky,

You took my post literally. I just inversed his post to make a point. It is interesting the type of response that is garnered by simply changing == to !=.

I explained to Rjay what I think a good exercise is.

I appreciate your posts. Like Rjay, I respect your posts as well.

sharky View Post
trade2win i base all my trading on s/r all of it 100% of my entrie decission falls back to what is the past extreem s/r/zones and whats it the current s/r zone then i enter my trade and i make thousands of dollars every day for a few years now,yes i swap indicators out and even the good ones i find i dont need after a couple of months using them as my eyes starts seeing what they are showing me on the chart but everything falls back to s/r in the end...sharky

Last Updated on November 28, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts