NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

PAT vs Al Brooks

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Giamsterdam with 11 posts (23 thanks)
    2. looks_two bobwest with 4 posts (26 thanks)
    3. looks_3 ClearLog with 4 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 GruttePier with 3 posts (18 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Pa Dax with 8.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bobwest with 6.5 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 GruttePier with 6 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Giamsterdam with 2.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 46,355 views
    2. thumb_up 183 thanks given
    3. group 33 followers
    1. forum 47 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

PAT vs Al Brooks

patrader65 
Boston MA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT, TOS
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 696
Thanks Received: 128

I have been largely dormant on this site and don't even have a journal here. So, take it for what you think is worth...

In my experience, both Mack and Al Brooks methods will work if you put in the time and effort.

Al's work is hard to learn and understand. You need 2 things with his method. Enormous degree of Patience, not just with learning, but also with implementing it live. If you think it is just about H1 and H2 entries, you are dead in the water. There is a lot more to context in this approach. You have to adapt yourself to the kind of day and volatility. The second thing you need is capital. I would say at least 50K if you want to implement proper position sizing with a 1% max risk per trade under all market conditions.

Mack's method can be called a subset Al's H2L2 entries and MTR variants (wait for a trend line break and wait for a HL or LH in opposite direction). It is easy to understand and implement. You get more entries per day than Brooks' approach. The downside is that your edge is razor thin, partly because of the bad RR ratio. Unless you are a very good scalper, you won't last long.

I really don't care if any one of them actually trades. What matters is what works for you. In my opinion, Al Brooks is the real deal. He calls out live entries and I have made money taking them. You need a a lot of patience and capital as I mentioned earlier. With Mack, I am not sure if he trades live. Marking trades after the fact it relatively easy. Telling that price action can never be wrong is BS. If you are starting out, his method might be easier to understand. There is not much of adaptability required. But, once you take some full sized losses real time, it will make you think. Don't get me wrong. You can still make it work but your edge is small and you will always have to trade with the feeling that the next trade might wipe out a lot of earlier gains.

The other thing to consider is, if you looking to do this for a living at some point, you will have to trade size. This will be a downside with Mack's scalping style unless you are really really good at scalping to overcome the commission overhead. Brook's approach is more tolerant to mistakes and losing trades.

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
29 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
25 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
22 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 Cristian 
Bucharest - Romania

Experience: None
Platform: NT, SC, MC, MW
Broker: NinjaBrokerage
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 5
Thanks Received: 43

My suggestion is to take a look at Lance Beggs manuals (yourtradingcoach.com)
For me was the best ever spent money on a trading course. He has a very structured approach on PA but also a very extensive part about how to conduct a trading business.
IMHO even if ignore the PA part. the books worth the money because teaching you how to approach trading in a professional manner.
If I would have to give an advice to a PA rookie I would say to start with Beggs' books and study them for at least 6 month and then go with Mack from PATs books and then with Macks videos.
But, hey, this is just my opinion and I was never into Al Brooks simply because I do not consider being a real trader those advertising them self at Traders Expo in Las Vegas.

Thanked by:
goodoboy
Houston

Thanks Given: 344
Thanks Received: 246

Cristian View Post
My suggestion is to take a look at Lance Beggs manuals (yourtradingcoach.com)
For me was the best ever spent money on a trading course. He has a very structured approach on PA but also a very extensive part about how to conduct a trading business.
IMHO even if ignore the PA part. the books worth the money because teaching you how to approach trading in a professional manner.
If I would have to give an advice to a PA rookie I would say to start with Beggs' books and study them for at least 6 month and then go with Mack from PATs books and then with Macks videos.
But, hey, this is just my opinion and I was never into Al Brooks simply because I do not consider being a real trader those advertising them self at Traders Expo in Las Vegas.

Thank you Cristian for the review on yourtradingcoach.com. I am reviewing his course.

Thanks

Krav69
Denver, Colorado

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 44

Just curious.

Did Al Brooks ever prove profitability like he stated he would a few years ago?

Can't seem to find anything about it anywhere.

Pa Dax 
Netherlands
Price Action Scientist

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader, IB TWS
Broker: InteractiveBrokers, CQG
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 2,008
Thanks Received: 6,318

Krav69 View Post
Just curious.

Nope. And he probably never will. Why should he? I wouldn't do so either if I were him.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

NW Trader 
Seattle WA/USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader
Trading: CL, YM, ES
Thanks Given: 495
Thanks Received: 1,084

Krav69 View Post
Just curious.

Although I am impressed by someone's trading success who also happens to write books, I don't think their brokerage statement is an absolute qualifier or non-qualifier. At first I bought into that idea because it seems so logical. If you really know something about the markets, show me your profits, right? It's the old "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

But to believe that, I also have to believe that all those professors at Wharton's or Harvard Business are frauds unless they are successful entrepreneurs themselves. If an engineering teacher has never built a bridge, he would also be a fraud by that criteria. So, no, I don't believe that is a "truism".

I think there are some successful traders who are probably crappy teachers, and I think there are some students of the market who may have an extensive understanding of market moves, indicators, averages and so forth, but maybe don't have the proper mental mindset to actually trade themselves.

When I am considering buying someone's book or course, I do run the author through Google to find out what other people have gotten out of the course or book. If I find that a majority of folks found the material useful, then I may give it a whirl myself. And, if the author/teacher is well known as a trading success, that's certainly extra reinforcement.

And finally, I'm sure there are some folks who are successful traders, then write a book or develop a course and let the material stand for itself. Since they really have nothing to prove, have already made their money in trading, they may not really care about sharing their personal financial information with the world. Who knows.

Just my two cents worth. Have a great weekend!

Mike
NW Trader

There is no path to happiness. Happiness is the path.
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Wschneidertrade
Youngstown ohio united states

Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 3

GruttePier View Post
If you want to learn price action, my advice is to read the thread of Anekdoten from start to end. It’s very inspirational, fun to read and teaches you price action instead of specific candle patterns that don’t work

Google on “AHG - Profitable Strategy for Struggling Traders”.

Succes!

Sent from my iPhone using NexusFi mobile app

How do I locate the thread by Anek?

Thanked by:
 Miesto 
Monte Carlo, Monaco
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader 8
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 799
Thanks Received: 1,193

Wschneidertrade View Post
How do I locate the thread by Anek?

AHG - Profitable Strategy for Struggling Traders

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Last Updated on August 30, 2020

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts