NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Micro E-mini Madness (1% per day)

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one sstheo with 50 posts (169 thanks)
    2. looks_two Skid with 9 posts (25 thanks)
    3. looks_3 pilotui with 6 posts (14 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobarian with 4 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one bobwest with 3.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two sstheo with 3.4 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Skid with 2.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 pilotui with 2.3 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,169 views
    2. thumb_up 266 thanks given
    3. group 67 followers
    1. forum 105 posts
    2. attach_file 22 attachments

Search this Thread

Micro E-mini Madness (1% per day)

mbondiett 
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 220
Thanks Received: 49

sstheo View Post
One of the reasons I am finally becoming successful as a trader is directly because of TST and OneUp. The pain of pushing the reset button finally got to me. I started to really pay attention to their risk parameters, especially the max daily loss and the max account draw down.

The massive volatility that erupts with virtually every single Presidential Tweet, tariff news, Brexit news, etc over the past 18 months since the first new market high has been quite the school master. Is there anyone who escaped some level of significant carnage???

The only way to make any profits is to have a tradable account, and therefore capital preservation is significantly more important that making a new high-water mark each day.

So I now humbly embrace the rules as guardrails on the scenic journey to keep me from going over the cliff - instead of barriers to my wealthy ambitions.

Here they are:
  • Hours. Trade only during the first two hours of the New York session. No pre-market trading. No holding overnight.
  • News. Be flat for major news releases.
  • Instruments. Trading only MNQ and MYM. The MES contract is an option too.
  • Scaling. One micro contract max per $500 in the account. One mini contract max per $5000 in the account.
  • Targets. Scalping is okay and targets are flexible, but factor in $1 per RT fees mentally. Try to stay with the trend as long as the trade is good.
  • Emergency Stop. Max loss per trade is $15. Set emergency stop with the trade entry or immediately after entry.
  • Get out immediately. Notwithstanding the emergency stop, do your best not to let it get hit. If you sense the market is turning against you, get out as fast as possible. Take your loss and move on.
  • Daily loss. My max daily loss is 5% of the account. This will give me 20 trading days to blow up the account if this is what I am destined to do. Starting out, this will be $50. If I lose 5% of the account, I will stop for the day and report it here.

Away we go!

Thanks Steve...…… you are a dynamo!

“The major work of the world is not done by geniuses. It is done by ordinary people, with balance in their lives, who have learned to work in an extraordinary manner.”
― Gordon B. Hinckley
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
36 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
19 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
19 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
fugu
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 20

If one can do this challenge, being so disciplined, that is you, sstheo!

Good luck!

Thanked by:

sstheo 
Holladay, Utah, USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Multicharts
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: MES, MYM, MNQ, M2K
Thanks Given: 198
Thanks Received: 1,490

I got $5 today total on 3 scalps. Good way to get started!

This is like getting $50 on the E-minis.

It seems like I got out right before a big run in each situation, otherwise I might have been at $20 on my first day.

The market was truly nuts today with expansion into the close after a reversionary market for 6+ hours. The G20 meeting is this weekend and it appears that no one wanted to be short going into that.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Skid 
Hammond LA

Experience: Advanced
Broker: Ninja Trader
Trading: NQ, ES and SPY options
Thanks Given: 536
Thanks Received: 316

sstheo View Post
I got $5 today total on 3 scalps. Good way to get started!

This is like getting $50 on the E-minis.

It seems like I got out right before a big run in each situation, otherwise I might have been at $20 on my first day.

The market was truly nuts today with expansion into the close after a reversionary market for 6+ hours. The G20 meeting is this weekend and it appears that no one wanted to be short going into that.

Hey Steve,

I have never really followed from start to finish anyone's journal, but since I'm also trading the Micro's (MNQ) I will
follow along. For one with a small account size, to me its the best way to go. I find it takes the fear out of trading and
lets you be more level headed.

Good Luck!

Skid

If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life. Allow your passion to become your purpose.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 illogsamples 
Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, DOW, SL, GC
Thanks Given: 115
Thanks Received: 45

I really like your mindset. I will also follow this for some emotional boost.

I also keep an eye on the correlations of the markets you trade plus the Russel as the odd one of the class.

Keep it up.

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

pilotui 
Oklahoma City OK/USA

Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradeovate
Trading: NQ/ES/NG
Thanks Given: 119
Thanks Received: 153

Hey this caught my eye. I have probably reset 20+ combines. Been funded 2xs and never kept it. You may be onto something here. What broker are you going to use, since commissions will be huge for acct and daily profit targets this small.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,442
Thanks Received: 26,278

pilotui View Post
What broker are you going to use, since commissions will be huge for acct and daily profit targets this small.

Just FYI, my impression from reading different posts is that brokers have generally settled into something like $1, give or take, per contract, all in per round turn on the micros. This compares to a range in the $4 area, plus or minus, for the regular eminis. Since the micros are 1/10th the size of the eminis, commissions are not exactly proportionate and will be a chunk out of your results when 1 point in MES = $5, but it's not as bad as I feared.

If you make say 3 points and pay a buck for it, you keep $14 rather than $15.

These are not official numbers, just ball-park. Your mileage may vary.

Bob.

-----------------

Edit: sorry to step into your thread, @sstheo. What are your costs going to be? If in line with this, I think the fees part of the equation is very doable for your project.

Thanked by:

sstheo 
Holladay, Utah, USA

Platform: Multicharts
Broker: AMP/CQG
Trading: MES, MYM, MNQ, M2K
Thanks Given: 198
Thanks Received: 1,490

pilotui View Post
Hey this caught my eye. I have probably reset 20+ combines. Been funded 2xs and never kept it. You may be onto something here. What broker are you going to use, since commissions will be huge for acct and daily profit targets this small.

1) I may have beat you on the number of resets, but don't want to brag too much about it.

2) I use AMP Futures, and the cost is around 80 cents all in Round Trip. Ninja is very close. For some reason, my other broker GAIN doesn't think these are viable and they are still around $2.00 RT -- boo! So you better shop around.

3) My minimum daily target is $10. But if I see the setup before I finish at 9:30 am NY time, I may still go for it.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Skid 
Hammond LA

Broker: Ninja Trader
Trading: NQ, ES and SPY options
Thanks Given: 536
Thanks Received: 316

bobwest View Post
Just FYI, my impression from reading different posts is that brokers have generally settled into something like $1, give or take, per contract, all in per round turn on the micros. This compares to a range in the $4 area, plus or minus, for the regular eminis. Since the micros are 1/10th the size of the eminis, commissions are not exactly proportionate and will be a chunk out of your results when 1 point in MES = $5, but it's not as bad as I feared.

If you make say 3 points and pay a buck for it, you keep $14 rather than $15.

These are not official numbers, just ball-park. Your mileage may vary.

Bob.

-----------------

Edit: sorry to step into your thread, @sstheo. What are your costs going to be? If in line with this, I think the fees part of the equation is very doable for your project.

My cost to trade the micros round trip is 1.89 so I need 4 ticks just to break even and this is with having the life time licence. If I trade the minis its 3.66 but one tick covers this as one tick is 5 dollars. So you do get a better deal with
trading the minis.
4 ticks in the micros. Profit = .11 cents.
1 tick in the minis Profit = 1.34

So for me to make 10 dollars I would need a 24 tick run in the micro, but in the mini I only need 3 ticks and would
still make more than the micro making 24 ticks. So for me I'm trading the micros just till I get confident to switch
to the minis. They are fun, your doing live trading, and you don't blowup an account real fast.

If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life. Allow your passion to become your purpose.
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

pilotui 
Oklahoma City OK/USA

Platform: Tradovate
Broker: Tradeovate
Trading: NQ/ES/NG
Thanks Given: 119
Thanks Received: 153

How about tradovate? Anyone know what the total cost would be for their 0$ membership trading? .25c per side not including other *fees. I have used them in a couple of combines and was impressed...specifically with trading live from my phone. Anyway I am going to call tomorrow and get a firm total round trip cost. I have a NT lifetime but the post earlier about needing 4 ticks to just make .11c seems nuts to me.

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 7, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts