NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Footprint For Confirmation

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kolbe with 4 posts (2 thanks)
    2. looks_two Wernersabel with 3 posts (10 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bobwest with 1 posts (3 thanks)
    1. trending_up 2,183 views
    2. thumb_up 15 thanks given
    3. group 4 followers
    1. forum 8 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Footprint For Confirmation

kolbe
Wiltz, Luxembourg

Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 9

Hi Everybody ,

I like to test out new ideas from time to time . My main focus lies on analyzing volume profile & price action - I test & add new ideas to them periodically .

I played with footprint for a while & noticed some interesting things . How imbalances in there vertically & horizontally give more weight or confluence to my original support / resistance . It also shows real intent of market participants so more reliable than traditional order flow in these algo dominated days , in my opinion .

Was trying to apply imbalances & big orders near my price action / VP entries - and it seems it works nicely as a confirmation . I've not enough data to imply that this isn't just some kind of fluke or happenstance .

So, if anybody is also using footprint for their entry confirmation - would love to hear your ideas & what you're looking for around entry price in footprint .

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - May 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Quant vue
Trading Reviews and Vendors
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Wernersabel
Lisbon, Portugal

Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 46

kolbe View Post
Hi Everybody ,

I like to test out new ideas from time to time . My main focus lies on analyzing volume profile & price action - I test & add new ideas to them periodically .

I played with footprint for a while & noticed some interesting things . How imbalances in there vertically & horizontally give more weight or confluence to my original support / resistance . It also shows real intent of market participants so more reliable than traditional order flow in these algo dominated days , in my opinion .

Was trying to apply imbalances & big orders near my price action / VP entries - and it seems it works nicely as a confirmation . I've not enough data to imply that this isn't just some kind of fluke or happenstance .

So, if anybody is also using footprint for their entry confirmation - would love to hear your ideas & what you're looking for around entry price in footprint .

Hi,

this is exately how I trade. I have my levels, and focus on price action at those levels adn use the footprint combined with time & sales to confirm entry / momentum. I wait for price to slow down at a level, then I want to see imbalances coming through (i.e. if you are looking to go short you would want to see buy imbalances) but those imbalances do not cause much of a price reaction any more - means they are getting potentially absorbed by the other party. Then I wait for exhaustion, or the poke, or a potential trap to happen that would indicate price flip. Then I want see the potential trap getting confrimed by imbalances (short: I want to see buy imbalances pushing price to an LVN, you will notice a buy imbalance placed close to an LVN) as the imbalance goes neutral and time & sales shows a "big" number I consider to have momentum going for me and get in.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out.

Cheers,
Wernersabel

kolbe
Wiltz, Luxembourg

Wernersabel View Post
Hi,

this is exately how I trade. I have my levels, and focus on price action at those levels adn use the footprint combined with time & sales to confirm entry / momentum. I wait for price to slow down at a level, then I want to see imbalances coming through (i.e. if you are looking to go short you would want to see buy imbalances) but those imbalances do not cause much of a price reaction any more - means they are getting potentially absorbed by the other party. Then I wait for exhaustion, or the poke, or a potential trap to happen that would indicate price flip. Then I want see the potential trap getting confrimed by imbalances (short: I want to see buy imbalances pushing price to an LVN, you will notice a buy imbalance placed close to an LVN) as the imbalance goes neutral and time & sales shows a "big" number I consider to have momentum going for me and get in.

If you have any questions feel free to reach out.

Cheers,
Wernersabel

Quite helpful indeed !

Are you using Jigsaw for time & sales ?

Imbalances specially stacked imbalances are a bit rare to find . How many levels of imbalances you usually look for vertically & sequentially ?

If I don't find imbalances but just big buy orders getting absorbed by sell side (for a potential short trade) - is that a good confirmation too ?

Wernersabel
Lisbon, Portugal

kolbe View Post
Quite helpful indeed !

Are you using Jigsaw for time & sales ?

Imbalances specially stacked imbalances are a bit rare to find . How many levels of imbalances you usually look for vertically & sequentially ?

If I don't find imbalances but just big buy orders getting absorbed by sell side (for a potential short trade) - is that a good confirmation too ?

No I use sierrachart, its got everything in it. There may be a possibility on NT, if you open an ordinary T&S window, then set a filter for a specific size. Or watch the speed of orders coming through (in other threads they talk about using T&S, I just watch it at my levels and do not pay too much attention in between).

I see you are trading rather fast markets. If you use a 5min chart you should see plenty of stacked imbalances. If you watch CL i.e. and stacked sell imb. towards an end of a move could also mean stop runs are triggered. Those may be not "real" sells. And could mean buyers are setting up a sell trap. If price flipps around stacked imbalances at the end of a move and it gets confirmed you have a pretty good chance. But I have not been active in those markets for a while, so I do not know how it looks exactly currently.

I would say so. But additionally I would want to see sellers hitting the tape. Let price trade away a couple of ticks and when it comes back to check and sellers hold around the price level they were previoulsy active, I would join.

Hope it helps - Cheers,
Wernersabel

Thanked by:
kolbe
Wiltz, Luxembourg

Wernersabel View Post
No I use sierrachart, its got everything in it. There may be a possibility on NT, if you open an ordinary T&S window, then set a filter for a specific size. Or watch the speed of orders coming through (in other threads they talk about using T&S, I just watch it at my levels and do not pay too much attention in between).

I see you are trading rather fast markets. If you use a 5min chart you should see plenty of stacked imbalances. If you watch CL i.e. and stacked sell imb. towards an end of a move could also mean stop runs are triggered. Those may be not "real" sells. And could mean buyers are setting up a sell trap. If price flipps around stacked imbalances at the end of a move and it gets confirmed you have a pretty good chance. But I have not been active in those markets for a while, so I do not know how it looks exactly currently.

I would say so. But additionally I would want to see sellers hitting the tape. Let price trade away a couple of ticks and when it comes back to check and sellers hold around the price level they were previoulsy active, I would join.

Hope it helps - Cheers,
Wernersabel

I'll watch out for those from now on . Does Sierra provide S&P 500 Advance Decline line alongside NYSE A/D Line ?

You're trading bonds - I think most players there usually scalp with order flow . Are you using volume profile to just scalp in there or for swing targets ?

Wernersabel
Lisbon, Portugal

kolbe View Post
I'll watch out for those from now on . Does Sierra provide S&P 500 Advance Decline line alongside NYSE A/D Line ?

You're trading bonds - I think most players there usually scalp with order flow . Are you using volume profile to just scalp in there or for swing targets ?

I don't know if that indicator is included. But it has almost everything included so I am pretty sure its got that too, if not you can costomize your own stuff too. It is worth a look.

You can do both. I personally do not like sacalping that much. Mostly there is "a trade of the day" I like to be in the hunt for those. "Load up" on contracts and let it work out for me until the same setup I am looking for occurs to the other side. So I just use it to A) optimize entry B) keep cost of business as small as possible because you know when a trade does not work and get out C) get confirmation on a winning trade in order to add to my position

But everybody has his / her own preferences.

hope it helps.

Thanked by:

bobwest 
Western Florida
Site Moderator

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Sierra Chart
Trading: ES, YM
Frequency: Several times daily
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 57,495
Thanks Received: 26,292

kolbe View Post

Wernersabel View Post
I don't know if that indicator is included. But it has almost everything included so I am pretty sure its got that too, if not you can costomize your own stuff too. It is worth a look.

You can do both. I personally do not like sacalping that much. Mostly there is "a trade of the day" I like to be in the hunt for those. "Load up" on contracts and let it work out for me until the same setup I am looking for occurs to the other side. So I just use it to A) optimize entry B) keep cost of business as small as possible because you know when a trade does not work and get out C) get confirmation on a winning trade in order to add to my position

But everybody has his / her own preferences.

hope it helps.

Advance/declines, whether S&P or NYSE, will depend on your data feed. You'd need to check with your feed provider or with your broker.

Also, regarding Sierra Chart: if your account is with NinjaTrader, they only support their own platform, NT. Now, the reality is that NinjaTrader brokerage is an Introducing Broker, so your account is with one of their FCM's, which I believe are Phillip Capital and Dorman Trading. It turns out that Sierra Chart can connect to either of these. How that is done, I don't know; I just found this on the Sierra Chart website so it is supposedly possible. You would need to look into how to do something like this. There are many tools available, and I'm sure you can find something within the NT universe also.

Bob.

Thanked by:
kolbe
Wiltz, Luxembourg

bobwest View Post
Advance/declines, whether S&P or NYSE, will depend on your data feed. You'd need to check with your feed provider or with your broker.

Also, regarding Sierra Chart: if your account is with NinjaTrader, they only support their own platform, NT. Now, the reality is that NinjaTrader brokerage is an Introducing Broker, so your account is with one of their FCM's, which I believe are Phillip Capital and Dorman Trading. It turns out that Sierra Chart can connect to either of these. How that is done, I don't know; I just found this on the Sierra Chart website so it is supposedly possible. You would need to look into how to do something like this. There are many tools available, and I'm sure you can find something within the NT universe also.

Bob.

That is very useful info, Bob . Thank you so much .

I'll look into it .

Last Updated on June 28, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts