NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

KJ Trading Systems Kevin Davey - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

Discussion in Trading Reviews and Vendors

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kevinkdog with 180 posts (416 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 23 posts (40 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Mabi with 17 posts (12 thanks)
    4. looks_4 bluefightingcat with 16 posts (9 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one grausch with 2.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 2.3 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 SMCJB with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 173,779 views
    2. thumb_up 649 thanks given
    3. group 111 followers
    1. forum 433 posts
    2. attach_file 15 attachments

Closed Thread

Search this Thread

KJ Trading Systems Kevin Davey - Ask Me Anything (AMA)

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, Python, C#
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: MJNK, ASX, SPI
Thanks Given: 98
Thanks Received: 284

kevinkdog View Post
Thanks for the question, and thanks for reading the book. I developed that strategy more than 5 years ago, so unfortunately I do not have exact numbers for that. I am pretty sure I went through multiple ideas and variations during preliminary testing, but I don't recall what or how much. Trying multiple ideas etc. can be dangerous if done incorrectly, as I describe in the book.

Thanks!

No problems, understand it was a while ago

I suppose what I was looking to learn was regarding the comment about maybe taking a 100 ideas to get a single tradable strategy (understand this is approximation), I assume this number includes iterations of a single goal?

So in a year would you be working with 10-15 goals?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
33 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
28 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
23 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
23 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
21 thanks
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,892
Thanks Received: 7,359

amoeba View Post
No problems, understand it was a while ago

I suppose what I was looking to learn was regarding the comment about maybe taking a 100 ideas to get a single tradable strategy (understand this is approximation), I assume this number includes iterations of a single goal?

So in a year would you be working with 10-15 goals?

Many who I work with aim for one new strategy per month. That is a good goal to shoot for. That might not seem like a lot, but after a year you'd have 12 strategies. And if you collaborate and share strategies with others, you could have a ton more than that.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

I always enjoy talking to @mattz - this time we decided to record it!

https://optimusfutures.com/podcast/podcasts/episode-15-optimus-futures-interviews-kj-trading-systems/

Thanks Matt for having me on!!!

Follow me on Twitter

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,441
Thanks Received: 3,791

kevinkdog View Post
I always enjoy talking to @mattz - this time we decided to record it!

https://optimusfutures.com/podcast/podcasts/episode-15-optimus-futures-interviews-kj-trading-systems/

Thanks Matt for having me on!!!

You are welcome. I always appreciate those who have an honest approach to risk, and the challenge of trading. You definitely one of my colleagues in the industry who possess that.
We truly enjoyed working with you on this Podcast, and I hope to have you again in the future!

Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:

eferggbd 
Phoenix, AZ

Platform: Ninja, TradeStation
Broker: Ninja
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 29

Hi Kevin! I read your book and loved it.

I have two questions:

1) Do you have a specific way to kind of statistically determine the correlation of a portfolio? In your book I think you said that you would run a simple correlation of daily returns. Is that a function that can be done in Excel?

2) You made one comment in this thread that you've never been able to successfully trade multiple strategies on one given chart in TS. I've noticed that same problem, and it has a big effect on me since most of my trades on on the daily ES chart. Do you know if Ninja Trader has the same problem?

Thanks so much for your time!

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

eferggbd View Post
Hi Kevin! I read your book and loved it.

I have two questions:

1) Do you have a specific way to kind of statistically determine the correlation of a portfolio? In your book I think you said that you would run a simple correlation of daily returns. Is that a function that can be done in Excel?

2) You made one comment in this thread that you've never been able to successfully trade multiple strategies on one given chart in TS. I've noticed that same problem, and it has a big effect on me since most of my trades on on the daily ES chart. Do you know if Ninja Trader has the same problem?

Thanks so much for your time!

Thanks for the questions - I appreciate it!

1) There are a ton of ways to do the correlation. You could use daily, weekly, monthly returns for example. And you could examine correlation over multiple look back lengths. Then, you have to determine what is an allowable correlation level.

As you can imagine, this makes the analysis complicated.

Then there is another issue. Say you have a crude oil strategy and a gold strategy, and both have been steadily making money over the past month. If you compare the daily returns over the past month, the correlation might be close to 1. Is that significant? Maybe both strategies have had good runs, or maybe the strategies are too correlated? So some people look at just downside correlation - they do not want strategies to all perform badly at the same time. But upside performance may be OK.

So, back to the original question, I do have a specific way, that addresses many of these issues (not all of them). I do use Excel correlation function to do it, and I create a table of correlation results that I use. Here is a small example:

2) I have never used Ninja to trade like I do with Tradestation. I do have an approach that sends Tradestation signals to Ninja, and then on to a broker. The broker only gets signals, so I can trade as many ES strategies as I want in one account, and there are no problems. Of course, adding Ninja in the mix complicates things, but it works well.

I have looked at the issue you mention quite a bit, and here are some articles I wrote on the subject.:

Trading Multiple Strategies With Same Instrument

Trading Multiple Strategies With The Same Instrument ? Part 1 - System Trader Success
Trading Multiple Strategies With The Same Instrument ? Part 2 - System Trader Success
Trading Multiple Strategies With The Same Instrument ? Part 3 - System Trader Success

Thanks for the questions!

Follow me on Twitter

eferggbd 
Phoenix, AZ

Platform: Ninja, TradeStation
Broker: Ninja
Trading: ES, CL
Thanks Given: 13
Thanks Received: 29

Dude thanks Kevin! That helped me a lot. Man you give so much of your time to help out your homies on this forum. It's greatly appreciated!

I thought of another potential idea by the way for how to run two strategies on one instrument in TS. If it's, say, the ES and my two strategies are both based on daily chart, I could have one run on the daily chart, and then I could open, say, a 60-min ES chart, and then in the code call on data2 (which would be daily ES data) and then the code would just strictly utilize the data2 for all its conditions even though its being run on the 60-min chart.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

eferggbd View Post
Dude thanks Kevin! That helped me a lot. Man you give so much of your time to help out your homies on this forum. It's greatly appreciated!

I thought of another potential idea by the way for how to run two strategies on one instrument in TS. If it's, say, the ES and my two strategies are both based on daily chart, I could have one run on the daily chart, and then I could open, say, a 60-min ES chart, and then in the code call on data2 (which would be daily ES data) and then the code would just strictly utilize the data2 for all its conditions even though its being run on the 60-min chart.

Depending on your strategy code, that approach may or may not help you. I've had issues running 2 daily charts, 1 daily chart with an XX minute chart, and 2 XX minute charts (same time or different for each).

The best approach is to live test and see if behavior is as expected.

Follow me on Twitter
 webradio 
Hamburg, Germany

Experience: None
Platform: MetaTrader, Multicharts
Trading: FX
Thanks Given: 21
Thanks Received: 34

Kevin, in one of your webinars you mentioned TASC magazine as a good source of trading ideas. In your opinion, does it hold for fx, too or would you call another source a "#1"? I am not expecting getting good strategies served on a silver plate, just ideas with more fx than futures in focus.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

webradio View Post
Kevin, in one of your webinars you mentioned TASC magazine as a good source of trading ideas. In your opinion, does it hold for fx, too or would you call another source a "#1"? I am not expecting getting good strategies served on a silver plate, just ideas with more fx than futures in focus.

Sure, it is a good source of ideas for all types of markets. You may have to make some adjustments for your forex markets, but I'm sure you'll find plenty to build off of.

Thanks for the question.

Kevin

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

Closed Thread

Last Updated on July 5, 2019

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts