NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

The Adventures of an Intuitive Daytrader

Discussion in Trading Journals

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one brunobt with 65 posts (137 thanks)
    2. looks_two spetscom with 7 posts (8 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Skidboot with 6 posts (13 thanks)
    4. looks_4 prof with 4 posts (6 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Arch with 2.7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Skidboot with 2.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 brunobt with 2.1 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 spetscom with 1.1 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 15,515 views
    2. thumb_up 213 thanks given
    3. group 21 followers
    1. forum 108 posts
    2. attach_file 58 attachments

Search this Thread

The Adventures of an Intuitive Daytrader

prof
Amsterdam Netherlands

Thanks Given: 3
Thanks Received: 8

In response to the criticism: This guy clearly has balls. I traded similarly before and of course sometimes I got smoked big time. But who cares if in the long runs all the profits from those good days together are higher than the occasional rip?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
PowerLanguage & EasyLanguage. How to get the platfor …
EasyLanguage Programming
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
31 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
20 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
17 thanks
 noobforlyfe 
Toronto , Ontario, Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart, SC
Trading: Emini ES, CL, USD/CAD
Thanks Given: 1,386
Thanks Received: 727

I agree he has balls of steels to do this live and he's killing it! and it gives me the excitement when I see him kill it. it's like that girl from deadpool 2, somehow always finds herself out of death's hand. haha. honestly though, if you're making money then keep rocking! I can't even do that with a one lot LOL. I apologize if I came off too harshly, but I think you got that girl's power LOL

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

brunobt 
Distrito Federal/Brazil

Experience: Intermediate
Thanks Given: 77
Thanks Received: 150

noobforlyfe View Post
I lurk around here cause it's quite interesting to see how this plays out. Swinging 20 lots on crude is massive, one news event and it can put you in the hole. You bought 20 lots short lets say ~.35 and held through 30 ticks of heat on that lot size, price happened to come back, but if it found enough buyers to auction higher, it would've been painful... very. So in the end you sat through 30+ ticks of heat and took about 19 tick profit / contract. Less than 1R:R, math won't add up over 500 trades.

You seem to be receiving flack (including me) for the wild swinging, but i feel its good advice in disguise.There doesn't seem to be no structure behind your trades.No rule that says you have to. You're swinging 20 lots but do you know where you are wrong? It shouldn't be because of gut feel, once again no rule saying you have to pick a spot where you'd be wrong based on structure. Theoretically price will come back to your entry at some point / target. But you don't seem to have a plan before the start of day, for what has happened so far, where do you anticipate supply/demand, etc etc. Even if you trade with intuition/discretion (we all incorporate intuition and discretion in our discretionary trading), i believe a plan for the day is crucial. Or at least no plan described here other than general words about your take on action so far.

Couple of things that stand out based on everything ive read, big mikes thread, e-mini spoos, etc etc. No plan, no mental stop or at least no description of it here, just targets and entries. Taking on positions while in a wedding, closing it cause "its too late", "Today was tough... I’m exhausted, both physically and mentally. The second (and last one for today) trade was hard to analyze. I changed my mind numerous times. Adjusted targets every time. I had to hurry back home to log in TOS in order to see clearly what was going on"
Basically I check the /CL chart in the morning from bed (4am - local time) and, if it looks “ok” then I’m in (1 - 5 contracts just to be “mentally tied” to the market)
Initially I go for my $1000 goal (usually just a couple of scalps). If it comes “easily”, I go for $2000 and so on. My “mental energy” is what dictates when I’m out for the rest of the day (4pm is my limit).
I love to trade from my iPhone while doing something else, including attending classes at the University

These look to me as early signs of some bad weather. Sorry for fine picking the things, but sometimes how one says things can show how they view this, and again this is based on what i've seen those who do this day in day out for years, most don't trade their P&L goals, yes we're all affected by it, but the goal is to trade your P&L or execute as cleanly as you can of the trades you plan? If the market is doing "ok"? What's ok? Trading while distracted, while in class or doing something else.

This is emotional trading, and we can't eliminate emotions from trading i agree. But i think what rubs off against most of us i'd say is that there's just no structure, you swing size based on your intuition, which is the point of your journal, and you'd be in heck of the 0.01% if you pull this off over long period of time. Your "intuition" would be your greatest edge and something amazing for all of us to witness. But i fear, this is way to wild and random trading. I'd say it's gambling with some initial crazy luck!

I can see how totally of a hater i am with mypost lol, i'm sorry. I'm not the type to be hating on people's approach, but man so many red flags, at least i feel i am doing this in efforts to save your money, assuming all of this is real and taking your word for it.
just my 0.02. but keep posting and proving us wrong, I personally love seeing someone swing more size than i ever will on a thin market like crude and is crushing it! hats off so far.

john

Thank you!

I agree with you in absolute everything. I don't get too emotional as it seems, but I tend to write here about extreme feelings. For example, right now I started with 3 short trades with 3 contracts and I'm holding a bigger position with 15 contracts. The short trades were relatively "easy" (with "small" profits) and I don't fell like I want to talk about them.

Let's see how painful the last one will be

Bruno

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 noobforlyfe 
Toronto , Ontario, Canada

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Sierra Chart, SC
Trading: Emini ES, CL, USD/CAD
Thanks Given: 1,386
Thanks Received: 727

hoping crude tanks, just for you, i'll add in 10000 contracts short (on sim LOL) but seriously go for it, i do think a visit back to 73s is likely.

Thanked by:

brunobt 
Distrito Federal/Brazil

I think everyone was even kind in the words so far (of course there's moderation here ) But my self criticism is hard too.

By the way, I always keep mental stop gains and loss, but they're a "fluid" concept (trying to be philosofical here ), so I'm always mentally adjusting them (I know, I know ... while I was writing this it sounded to me like cr@p too).

Thanked by:

Sazon 
Roswell, GA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Trading: Futures
Thanks Given: 930
Thanks Received: 472

brunobt View Post
I think everyone was even kind in the words so far (of course there's moderation here ) But my self criticism is hard too.

By the way, I always keep mental stop gains and loss, but they're a "fluid" concept (trying to be philosofical here ), so I'm always mentally adjusting them (I know, I know ... while I was writing this it sounded to me like cr@p too).

I like your positive attitude. I hope it works out for you.

Thanked by:

Brandenton 
Virginia Beach, VA

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: TopStep
Trading: YM, MYM
Thanks Given: 755
Thanks Received: 1,557

brunobt View Post

Trade how you want to trade. As long as your PNL curve is heading north, its working for you. If it is not heading in that direction, it would be wise to reduce the amount of exposure. Thats all I'm gonna say about that!

Thanked by:

Skidboot 
Houston, TX

Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 299

About 7 or 8 years ago, i heard about a crazy silver trader, trading at Infinity futures, got his account above $10 million in a year, when silver was dancing big. May be you should try to do that. Go Bruno!

Thanked by:

brunobt 
Distrito Federal/Brazil

That's all for today:

3 scalps (3 contracts each) and 1 "swing trade" (20 contracts).

I left the last lines I drew (as I've saide before, I'm always dinamically drawing/removing those lines). I use every time frame I fell comfortable to do my analysis (from daily to 1 minute). So many "dimensions" (or "degrees of freedom") that I use to trade come at a cost: high stress level. But not because I "trade" my PnL and/or my emotions. It's just stressful enough to analyze an ongoing market (and "against time").

From now on:

1) I'll wake up every trading day at the same time (I'll start trying 5-6am) and stablish a routine;

2) No more iphone/ipad trades;

3) I'll work with a protective stop order against "catastrophes" (far away "out of the money", of course). As every tick changes the market perspective for me, I don't feel comfortable with the regular process ("analysis->target + stop loss->wait->that's it");

4) 20 contracts maximum size (I think TD Ameritrade agrees with that too ), just because I like it and feel comfortable with a 200 bucks tick (up till now);

5) I've to grasp the concepts of the oil market ("WTF!!! How are you trading a derivative of something you don't even know about!!! Burn in hell, heretic creature !!!"). That is not to say I'll not follow the news, but I should have a general idea of what's going on. I'll search for a podcast, magazine etc specialized in the oil/energy market.

Thanked by:

brunobt 
Distrito Federal/Brazil

Skidboot View Post
About 7 or 8 years ago, i heard about a crazy silver trader, trading at Infinity futures, got his account above $10 million in a year, when silver was dancing big. May be you should try to do that. Go Bruno!

Good to know! I'm 62% (net) up since September 5 (now a 5 figures marging account). Maybe I should try 30 contracts soon to take advantage of this lucky trend . About 2.25M dollars in notional value do not scare me (ok, I'm just kidding... )

Last Updated on February 3, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts