NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 101 posts (443 thanks)
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 25 posts (204 thanks)
    3. looks_3 vvhg with 20 posts (49 thanks)
    4. looks_4 ThatManFromTexas with 19 posts (122 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one cpolk2013 with 21.2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Fat Tails with 8.2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 ThatManFromTexas with 6.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 4.4 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 679,318 views
    2. thumb_up 6,397 thanks given
    3. group 1,753 followers
    1. forum 1,263 posts
    2. attach_file 782 attachments

Search this Thread

Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!

Big Mike 
Manta, Ecuador
Site Administrator
Developer
Swing Trader

Experience: Advanced
Platform: Custom solution
Broker: IBKR
Trading: Stocks & Futures
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Weeks
Thanks Given: 33,214
Thanks Received: 101,599

djkiwi View Post
The other problem is HEAT.

The Dell U2412M's are LED's, with lower power requirements than typical LCD's. I researched this prior to buying, and it definitely has made a difference with heat. Still, with six of them, the office is noticeably hotter than a room without them.

I also physically relocated my PC to an adjacent room's closet, and just knocked out a small hole in the wall to run the DisplayPort monitor cables, audio cable, and USB cable (connected to a USB hub on my desk). This eliminates heat from the PC, but also makes my office silent.

Mike

We're here to help: just ask the community or contact our Help Desk

Quick Links: Change your Username or Register as a Vendor
Searching for trading reviews? Review this list
Lifetime Elite Membership: Sign-up for only $149 USD
Exclusive money saving offers from our Site Sponsors: Browse Offers
Report problems with the site: Using the NexusFi changelog thread
Follow me on Twitter Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
REcommedations for programming help
Sierra Chart
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
35 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Bigger Wins or Fewer Losses?
19 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
16 thanks
Spoo-nalysis ES e-mini futures S&P 500
14 thanks

Fat Tails 
Berlin, Europe
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader, MultiCharts
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Keyboard
Thanks Given: 4,242
Thanks Received: 27,102

Big Mike View Post
The Dell U2412M's are LED's, with lower power requirements than typical LCD's. I researched this prior to buying, and it definitely has made a difference with heat. Still, with six of them, the office is noticeably hotter than a room without them.

I also physically relocated my PC to an adjacent room's closet, and just knocked out a small hole in the wall to run the DisplayPort monitor cables, audio cable, and USB cable (connected to a USB hub on my desk). This eliminates heat from the PC, but also makes my office silent.

Mike

I have measured the power consumption of the Dell monitors. With brightness reduced to 40% - this is what is most comfortable for my eyes - power consumption is about 14 Watts per monitor.

Running 6 monitors is about 85 Watts, which is the equivalent of a conventional light bulb. The aggregate power consumption of my 3 monitors is 42 Watts, I am very satisfied and do not suffer from excessive heat.

djkiwi 
Mercer Island WA

Platform: Ninjatrader/Strategy Desk
Broker: Various
Trading: TF/NQ/ES/Stocks
Thanks Given: 981
Thanks Received: 1,558

Fat Tails View Post
I have measured the power consumption of the Dell monitors. With brightness reduced to 40% - this is what is most comfortable for my eyes - power consumption is about 14 Watts per monitor.

Running 6 monitors is about 85 Watts, which is the equivalent of a conventional light bulb. The aggregate power consumption of my 3 monitors is 42 Watts, I am very satisfied and do not suffer from excessive heat.

Big Mike/Fat Tails. That is very low heat and power output. I wasn't aware there was such a difference between brands and is something people should consider if going multi-screen.

My monitors are all samsung 245BW. The power assumption according to the default specs is 100 watts for each monitor. I also have them at default setting brightness 100% and contrast 75%. On a very hot day I can cool the room to a very comfortable level in 20-30 minutes.

I also have a commercial grade treadmill in this room which peaks at 20 amps on startup, a massive 1000 watt high current power amplifier and the HVAC. All this lot kept the electrician busy for awhile installing new circuits.

Cheers
DJ

Thanked by:

vvhg 
Northern Germany

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NT
Trading: FDAX, CL
Thanks Given: 1,016
Thanks Received: 2,824

djkiwi View Post
@vvhg, I tried no tilt and it was a little difficult to read but bearable. The biggest problem with no tilt for me is I use a lot of opacity so the colors on the top monitors were washed out. With LCD screens if you look at them directly no problem but once you start viewing them on an angle it can be a problem. I'm ok with gaps.

The other problem is HEAT. I'm not sure what you do for cooling, but anything over 4 monitors in warmer spring and summer the heat was unbearable even with central air so a separate HVAC air conditioner was required. I also have another PC with 2 monitors as well on the next desk, so that adds to heat. So 10 monitors and 2 PCs generates a huge amount of heat.

More details here..

Cheers
DJ

The colors washing out at higher viewing angles is dependant on the LCD technology used. Most standard monitors have not very high viewing angles and colors wash out quickly when viewed from an angle. There is a technology which produces very high viewing angles but at the expense of lower dynamic contrast which makes them less suitable for games and movies (and these two are probably quite important to many, so these high viewing angle displays will hardly ever be mainstream...).

Heat is not such a big problem where I live, people around here traditionally focus on heating, not on air conditioning
Temperatures rarely hit 30 degrees centigrade in summer.
What also helps is that my office is a bit bigger and I have all the other tech stuff ( 2nd PC, printer, NAS...) in an adjacent room. Slightly different approach as @Big Mike but also keeps my office quiet the trading PC is integrated into my desk and is not audible at normal loads. I mainly did that as i didn't want to have to run into an other room and back and forth if I should experience any problems with the computer.

Vvhg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hic Rhodos, hic salta.

omni72 
Tulsa, OK

Thanks Given: 582
Thanks Received: 624

Not sure if this would handle a 6-screen setup, but could possibly accommodate the laptop traders?

EDDI TRNBERG

While the concept is cool and executed well, I can't help being distracted by the exposed cabling. I may be alone in this, but I am always trying to reduce the amount of visible wiring/cabling. And it's not even due to pressure to conform to some WAF (wife approval factor).

This is basically a prototype created for Eddi's thesis, so it may be a bit before it or something like it is commercially available. If it gets to that point, hopefully cable concealment gets a little more attention

Edit: Just came across another article about Eddi and his project (have not read this yet): https://goo.gl/g9oMJ

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. ~ Seneca
Thanked by:
 Cloudy 
desert CA

Platform: NT7, various
Broker: various, TDA
Trading: NQ,ES
Thanks Given: 2,396
Thanks Received: 1,748

DarkPoolTrading View Post
Quick questions: How do you connect more than two monitors to one PC? Do you have multiple graphics cards or is there another way?

I've been using a couple of these USB to DVI(or VGA) adapters/videocards to hook up more monitors then hook them all up to a USB hub, then to my laptop. Doesn't work well with 3D graphics, but fine for 2D apps and Ninja, ThinkOrSwim etc. I picked mine up at Fry's.

https://www.iogear.com/product/GUC2020DW6/

other models and interfaces here. (DVI/ HDMI <-> USB/USB3.0 etc.)
DisplayLink Store :: Adapters

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

bnichols 
Dartmouth NS

Platform: MC, MC.Net, NT, TWS
Broker: IB / IQFeed / Kids
Trading: Forex, stocks
Thanks Given: 64
Thanks Received: 460

Wow--some professional looking setups. I'd post a picture of my desk but afraid I'd get raided by the Health Department or at least Better Homes & Gardens

Seriously though, while I do well enough have to wonder if I'd do better if my desk were "dressed for the part". The problem is any neatness seems like too much--makes me uneasy. Suppose "only my shrink can say for sure" :-/

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote

omni72 
Tulsa, OK

Thanks Given: 582
Thanks Received: 624

Cloudy View Post

DarkPoolTrading View Post
Quick questions: How do you connect more than two monitors to one PC? Do you have multiple graphics cards or is there another way?

I've been using a couple of these USB to DVI(or VGA) adapters/videocards to hook up more monitors then hook them all up to a USB hub, then to my laptop. Doesn't work well with 3D graphics, but fine for 2D apps and Ninja, ThinkOrSwim etc. I picked mine up at Fry's.

IOGEAR - GUC2020DW6 - USB 2.0 External DVI Video Card

other models and interfaces here. (DVI/ HDMI <-> USB/USB3.0 etc.)
DisplayLink Store :: Adapters

Another intriguing option:

22" USB powered monitor

I have not used or viewed one of these, but like the idea

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. ~ Seneca

vvhg 
Northern Germany

Platform: NT
Trading: FDAX, CL
Thanks Given: 1,016
Thanks Received: 2,824

djkiwi View Post
... I'm ok with gaps.

Cheers
DJ

A very nice desk in deed, but a bit overwhelming...I would probably do considerably better at flying a space shuttle than at using the full potential of your setup! Makes mine look like a kindergarten toy

Thought I'd share a pic of my desk:

As you can see there is a window behind the screens, so light shining through gaps would probably be extremely irritating. At least it was the main reason to chose this setup...

vvhg

Hic Rhodos, hic salta.
Bharatiya
ND, India

Thanks Given: 285
Thanks Received: 47

vvhg View Post
A very nice desk in deed, but a bit overwhelming...I would probably do considerably better at flying a space shuttle than at using the full potential of your setup! Makes mine look like a kindergarten toy

Thought I share a pic of my desk:

As you can see there is a window behind the screens, so light shining through gaps would probably be extremely irritating. At least it was the main reason to chose this setup...

vvhg

Nice setup .Are these 24" monitors & monitors stand which company?

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 2, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts