NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Why is the ES liquidity drying up?

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Revan with 3 posts (0 thanks)
    2. looks_two MiniP with 2 posts (1 thanks)
    3. looks_3 Quick Summary with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 iantg with 1 posts (1 thanks)
    1. trending_up 1,919 views
    2. thumb_up 2 thanks given
    3. group 6 followers
    1. forum 8 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Search this Thread

Why is the ES liquidity drying up?

Revan
Brisbane, Australia

Thanks Given: 72
Thanks Received: 26

Not much liquidity today 12/11/2018, holiday season?

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
How to apply profiles
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

cory 
virginia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ninja
Trading: NQ
Thanks Given: 877
Thanks Received: 8,090

no, just waiting for trade war fallout

Skidboot 
Houston, TX

Thanks Given: 203
Thanks Received: 299

What do you mean by liquidity? it is still trading over 5000 contracts per minute on average and the bid/ask spead is as tight as before.

Revan View Post
Not much liquidity today 12/11/2018, holiday season?

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

i think the word you are looking for is volatility.

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
Revan
Brisbane, Australia

Woops, I opened it from the bonds which are already rolled to the March 2019 contract, the latest December ES contract is fine.

Thread/

Revan
Brisbane, Australia

MiniP View Post
i think the word you are looking for is volatility.

-P

Not so you "Elitist". - I, a mundane non-elitist got the terminology correct! You probably think I'm some Indian dude who trades Forex and CFD's and spent a fortnights telephone scamming pay just to get a Lamborghini photoshoot done for my Marijuana investment Facebook page cover photo. admit it.

iantg 
charlotte nc

Experience: Advanced
Platform: My Own System
Broker: Optimus
Trading: Emini (ES, YM, NQ, ect.)
Thanks Given: 90
Thanks Received: 1,148

I would probably admire you if you were pulling some elaborate ruse like that.

But to your original question here is my two cents. Some classes of algo's that do better with thicker books that move slower will pull out of the market all together with higher volatility. If we are seeing the bulk of the action come from sweeps that take out 3 to 5 levels at a time, then this is an indicator that certain types of market making algos will likely sit on the side lines. If we are seeing a higher percentage of the movement coming from 1,2,3 tick moves, and there is more corrective action, then then a lot more players will turn algo's on.

There are some models for trading that do better with high volatility and some that do better with low volatility. When we are in an extended period of high volatility, like now, or February for example, a lot of these guys sit it out.

Ian

Revan View Post
Not so you "Elitist". - I, a mundane non-elitist got the terminology correct! You probably think I'm some Indian dude who trades Forex and CFD's and spent a fortnights telephone scamming pay just to get a Lamborghini photoshoot done for my Marijuana investment Facebook page cover photo. admit it.

In the analytical world there is no such thing as art, there is only the science you know and the science you don't know. Characterizing the science you don't know as "art" is a fools game.
Thanked by:

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

Revan View Post

yeah.. that's exactly what I thought.... smart enough to read my mind but not smart enough to get your shit straight before you trade.

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 11, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts