NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Futures is not for swing trading

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one kazz with 21 posts (12 thanks)
    2. looks_two Rrrracer with 8 posts (15 thanks)
    3. looks_3 bfreis with 5 posts (10 thanks)
    4. looks_4 Massive l with 4 posts (19 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one Massive l with 4.8 thanks per post
    2. looks_two bfreis with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 Rrrracer with 1.9 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kazz with 0.6 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,670 views
    2. thumb_up 73 thanks given
    3. group 8 followers
    1. forum 48 posts
    2. attach_file 1 attachments

Search this Thread

Futures is not for swing trading

kazz
London

Thanks Given: 168
Thanks Received: 78

Hi, I've been learning about futures but, the more l look into it, the more I feel that it's geared towards day traders and not swing or position traders.

If my perception is wrong I'd love for some of the more experienced forum members to enlighten me and other newbies.

My inclination is towards futures as l like the leverage and the fact that the exchange is regulated. However, I live in London and, due to working a 9-5 job, cannot day trade. Therefore my preference is to swing or position trade and I'm not sure if futures offers this option.

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
Battlestations: Show us your trading desks!
18 thanks

Massive l 
OR/USA
Legendary /NQ Trader

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 1,859
Thanks Received: 5,106

It's absolutely for swing traders if you have the capital and experience.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
kazz
London

Massive l View Post
It's absolutely for swing traders if you have the capital and experience.

Thanks for the reply. Maybe I phrased it incorrectly. What I meant was that if you want to get decent percentage returns trading futures then you need to day trade.

Especially so if you have a small account. For example a $10,000 account which you are using to trade e-mini forex futures.

Thanked by:

Massive l 
OR/USA
Legendary /NQ Trader

kazz View Post
Thanks for the reply. Maybe I phrased it incorrectly. What I meant was that if you want to get decent percentage returns trading futures then you need to day trade.

Especially so if you have a small account. For example a $10,000 account which you are using to trade e-mini forex futures.

I get it. You have to think that most people lose trading though...

I never really think about decent percentage returns. The game is hard enough. Thinking about finding the best returns is almost pointless.

your ideas on how to make money in futures evolves as you gain experience. Don't define yourself by a style of trading. Try to develop any strategy that has a positive expectancy.

You may find that it's a "swing strategy" or you may find it's a "day trader strategy."

Thanked by:

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

kazz View Post
Hi, I've been learning about futures but, the more l look into it, the more I feel that it's geared towards day traders and not swing or position traders.

If my perception is wrong I'd love for some of the more experienced forum members to enlighten me and other newbies.

My inclination is towards futures as l like the leverage and the fact that the exchange is regulated. However, I live in London and, due to working a 9-5 job, cannot day trade. Therefore my preference is to swing or position trade and I'm not sure if futures offers this option.

London is 4 hours ahead of NY you would be able to trade after the lunch break, depending when you get home for work, some days there is decent volume after lunch and some days it is horrible. Also could look into trading the Asian session

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Thanked by:

Massive l 
OR/USA
Legendary /NQ Trader

trade /m6e (micro euro). easier to learn how to swing futures using an instrument with $1.25/tick

kazz
London

Massive l View Post
I get it. You have to think that most people lose trading though...

I never really think about decent percentage returns. The game is hard enough. Thinking about finding the best returns is almost pointless.

your ideas on how to make money in futures evolves as you gain experience. Don't define yourself by a style of trading. Try to develop any strategy that has a positive expectancy.

You may find that it's a "swing strategy" or you may find it's a "day trader strategy."

Thanks massive. I really appreciate you taking time out to answer my questions. It's people like you that make this forum such a great place.

I understand your point on expectancy. However, would you agree that it is easier to make more money on a small futures trading account than it is on a larger one?

For example, if one has a $10,000 account, then would they not have an easier time making say a $100 a day day trading than $100 a day swing trading?

Simply because they get many more opportunities or setups day trading than they would swing trading?

Thanked by:
kazz
London

MiniP View Post
London is 4 hours ahead of NY you would be able to trade after the lunch break, depending when you get home for work, some days there is decent volume after lunch and some days it is horrible. Also could look into trading the Asian session

-P

Thanks @MiniP. London is actually 5 hours ahead of New York at the moment as we are on winter time now.

After getting back from work, the earliest that I could start trading would be about 8 p.m. London time. This equates to 3 p.m. New York time.

From my understanding there is much more liquidity earlier in the New York session so this may not be a good time to day trade?

MiniP 
USA,USA
Market Wizard

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: NinjaTrader Brokerage
Trading: ES,
Thanks Given: 1,109
Thanks Received: 2,943

kazz View Post
Thanks @MiniP. London is actually 5 hours ahead of New York at the moment as we are on winter time now.

After getting back from work, the earliest that I could start trading would be about 8 p.m. London time. This equates to 3 p.m. New York time.

From my understanding there is much more liquidity earlier in the New York session so this may not be a good time to day trade?

the NQ just made a 50 pt move at the time slot that would work for you. 1 contract would = $1000 for that size move.
This isn't always the case but there is money to be made.

-P

"Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie"-Miyamoto Musashi
Thanked by:
kazz
London

Massive l View Post
trade /m6e (micro euro). easier to learn how to swing futures using an instrument with $1.25/tick

Thanks @Massive I. This is the instrument that I have been looking at to swing trade. From what I understand, there are only a very few micro currency futures worth trading as liquidity is poor in most of them. M6E is one that can be traded.

If I was to trade this particular future, how often would setups occur on a swing trading basis? I suspect that there would not be many. Is this not the reason why most people prefer to day trade?

Apologies for all the questions, I am just trying to understand what is the best way forward for me in this futures market.

In other words, they get many more setups occurring on se an hourly charge then they would on say a daily or weekly chart?

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Thanked by:

Last Updated on December 8, 2018

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts