NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Spread / Pairs Trading - the allure and the reality

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one josh with 21 posts (35 thanks)
    2. looks_two kevinkdog with 15 posts (23 thanks)
    3. looks_3 TheDude with 11 posts (22 thanks)
    4. looks_4 datahogg with 11 posts (2 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one tigertrader with 7 thanks per post
    2. looks_two kkfx with 4.6 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 josh with 1.7 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.5 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 85,895 views
    2. thumb_up 200 thanks given
    3. group 64 followers
    1. forum 120 posts
    2. attach_file 11 attachments

Search this Thread

Spread / Pairs Trading - the allure and the reality

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 1,890
Thanks Received: 7,338

datahogg View Post
Kevinkdog. If you were to plot a ratio of a 5 minute EMA (exponential average) of ES and a 5 minute EMA of NQ,
would this be a reliable spread chart??

If you are certain each and every data pair is at the same exact time, it should be accurate.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Deepmoney LLM
Elite Quantitative GenAI/LLM
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
59 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
36 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
25 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
19 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
 datahogg 
Knoxville Tennessee USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TOS
Trading: ES, NQ, CL, /6E futures options.
Thanks Given: 135
Thanks Received: 154

kevinkdog View Post
If you are certain each and every data pair is at the same exact time, it should be accurate.

I was thinking since the EMA is of a 5 minute period (or maybe better a 30 minute period) that the problem of a lack of
exact identical times would not introduce a large error?

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

datahogg View Post
I was thinking since the EMA is of a 5 minute period (or maybe better a 30 minute period) that the problem of a lack of
exact identical times would not introduce a large error?

I guess it depends on what you are doing with it, and what for your purposes is considered a large error. For your situation, it might not matter at all if they are off a little bit.

datahogg 
Knoxville Tennessee USA

kevinkdog View Post
I guess it depends on what you are doing with it, and what for your purposes is considered a large error. For your situation, it might not matter at all if they are off a little bit.

You are experienced in spread trading, do you know if MCRI or SeasonAlgo provides better information?
Thanks H. Hampton.

kevinkdog   is a Vendor

datahogg View Post
You are experienced in spread trading, do you know if MCRI or SeasonAlgo provides better information?
Thanks H. Hampton.

Never used SeasonAlgo, and I only use MRCI for end of day research (settlement prices).

datahogg 
Knoxville Tennessee USA

kevinkdog View Post

I have been using the ratio of 2 moving averages for (ES-YM) with mostly good results.
According to my charts the spread (ES-YM) has been trending down since July 25, 2017.
I use Sierra Charts which has good applications for ratio and difference charts.
But I have not been able to chart the calendar spreads very well ( CL - CL for example.)
Thanks H. Hampton.

Thanked by:
 kevinkdog   is a Vendor

datahogg View Post
I have been using the ratio of 2 moving averages for (ES-YM) with mostly good results.
According to my charts the spread (ES-YM) has been trending down since July 25, 2017.
I use Sierra Charts which has good applications for ratio and difference charts.
But I have not been able to chart the calendar spreads very well ( CL - CL for example.)
Thanks H. Hampton.

Instead of tracking price, maybe track midpoint between bid and ask. That might work a lot better, as long as the bid and ask are "fresh."

datahogg 
Knoxville Tennessee USA

Does anyone use correlation as an input in decision making for spread/pairs trading?

bomberone1 
London

Experience: Beginner
Platform: MultiCharts
Thanks Given: 14
Thanks Received: 29

Do someone code the CO-INTEGRATION spread indicator (not correlation indicator) to plot the value of the spread, in easylanguage for Multicharts?

ZB23 
Atlanta Metro Area

Platform: Rithmic API
Broker: Ironbeam
Trading: Futures: CL spreads, IR outright.
Frequency: Never
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 60
Thanks Received: 193

indiantrader View Post
@josh

Here is the margin credit information about ES vs NQ

https://www.cmegroup.com/trading/equity-index/us-index/e-mini-nasdaq-100_performance_bonds.html

Check equity index and select ND-nasdaq, it will show synthetic pairs, the ratios recommended by CME and the margin credit offered by them.

Regarding z-score, it s mainly used for pairs that show fairly good mean reversion.

The spread pairs like synthetics (ES:NQ,CL:BRN,Corn:wheat), calenders have a tendency to diverge and form a trend...its these spread pairs for which TA indicators can be applied.
The spread pairs like butterfly, condor, synthetic interexchange( CL vs WBS-ICE or cash vs futures or interexchange corn/wheat spreads) show a tendency towards mean reversion where z-score works well.

I am still training with Peter Hamby (SpreadProfessor), but my understanding is this.

High correlation, High co-integration---->trade for mean reversion
High correlation, Low co-integration-----> trade for diversion/widening of the spread pair

Basically, the opportuniy for a spread trade arises when the correlation is out of place temporarily, so pairs with correlation coefficient of 0.95 and less but more than 0.85 are favourable pairs.

There is one webinar on Advantage futures website on trading spreads.
Trading the European [AUTOLINK]Yield[/AUTOLINK] Curves - YouTube

He describes the spreads construction like TED and butterfly Vs Butterfly where most of the charts look like a horizontal channel and trades are taken at extremes of the ranges and target the mean.

Correlations can be studies at Commodity Systems Inc. ? [AUTOLINK]EOD[/AUTOLINK] Market Data and Trading Software by subscribing to the correlation lab service and it shows quite interesting findings eg. Light sweet crude and brent have just 61% correlation for the last 2 years

It's been seven years since you were introduced to spread trading. Are you still trading spreads?

Thanked by:

Last Updated on April 14, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts