NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Introduce yourself here!

Discussion in Traders Hideout

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Big Mike with 147 posts (3,965 thanks)
    2. looks_two nakachalet with 57 posts (17 thanks)
    3. looks_3 xplorer with 46 posts (52 thanks)
    4. looks_4 mfbreakout with 35 posts (24 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one roonius with 80 thanks per post
    2. looks_two wh with 56 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 George with 47 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 Big Mike with 27 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 14,233,300 views
    2. thumb_up 11,997 thanks given
    3. group 6,315 followers
    1. forum 10,641 posts
    2. attach_file 94 attachments

Search this Thread

Introduce yourself here!

Buck50
Longmont, CO/USA

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 1

I Googled an obscure type of question about the Think or Swim platform and found a link to this site & found the answer , so I thought up another question, this time about TTM Squeeze and found I am not alone in wondering about this indicator. So this is all looking good to me so far, Thanks Mike!!

I have been trading since about 1996. I have always been intrigued by the idea of being able to make money by investing in what I think is the "next big thing". Well back then that was the internet. I made a lot of money along with everybody else doing that. I would buy 100 shares of whatever and then sell it once I was up $500, Man! was that easy!! ... I started w/100 shares of AAPL ... I didn't have a plan or any idea of what to do though when my stock moved against me. I started in the buy & hold generation, uhhh, so that is what I did, right? & it usually worked considering the uptrend we were in until 2000. Needless to say I lost all that money, except for I did breakdown and buy some really pretty furniture, otherwise I would just reinvest all my profits ... so. Thank God I had a job!

Reflecting back on my life I have discovered I am one heck of an optimist. After all that I also discovered StockCharts.com (I can’t give that website enough thumbs ups, hearts, or smiles.) and convinced myself I had an understanding and an edge, not to mention experience (bad as it was), when it came to trading stocks. True to my nature, I jumped back on that pony again. Well rinse and repeat, except for I didn't keep my $500 rule. In fact I didn't have any rules and still don't, much to my demise.

I bought some books:
  • Cramer, James J., Mason, Cliff (2009). Getting Back to Even. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster.
  • Farley, Alan S. (2001). The Master Swing Trader. New York, NY: Mcgraw-Hill.
  • Murphy, John J. (1999). Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets. New York, NY: New York Institute of Finance.
  • Prechter, Robert R., Jr. (1999). The Science of History and Social Prediction. Gainesville, GA: New Classics Library.
  • Elder, Alexander (2014). The New Trading for a Living. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
  • Elder, Alexander (2002). Come Into My Trading Room. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
  • Nison, Steve (2001). Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques. New York, NY: New York Institute of Finance.

I have joined/subscribed to a bunch of clubs and websites ...

Right now I am subscribed to Real Vision and am reading Elder's Come Into My Trading Room. I think Real Vision is the very best "club" I have ever joined! As for the books; of all the one's I have, this book will be the ONLY one I have read from front to back ... what a shame! So far I have used the other books only for reference. Anyway it is real good, readable and helpful, and has inspired me to read my other one's front to back. I am no longer working so I have no excuse for not reading my books, and following Elder's suggestions. The fact that I don't do these things is something about myself that "I just don't get". Another reason I joined here is because I read in more than one person's post that they were using this site for accountability. I hope I can find that here too. What does that (accountability) look like on this site, where do I find it?

I have been looking a long time for a book, membership, or somebody to tell me what in the Hell to do in order to trade for a living. Come Into My Trading Room seems to be fitting the bill ... we will see. What I wouldn't give to have just one semester w/a good teacher, classmates, and a lab covering the topics in this book. Being an independent/professional trader (doing it for a living) is very lonely! There is an Investors & Traders group through Meetup that meets once a month for beers and chatting that I usually go to. There's always at least 20 people attending: I'm telling you we are a lonely crowd! It would be nice if I could find a small group (5-6 peeps) within this group that would like to get together to try to advance our skills/methods. The idea of me arranging this is daunting since it is a large group, meets just once/month, and attendance is not consistent. Ohhh, the excuses!

After reading Elder's book (I'm almost finished) I have so many questions and realize I am deficient in many of the things you need to be able to trade for a living.

To start:[*]I don't know Excel[*]I don't know how to code in Think-or-Swim (for scans, back testing, and indicators); in fact the only coding I know is Pig Latin[*]I don't think I have the patience or maybe it's just that I don't know how to quickly/efficiently create, implement, and evaluate the outcome of a plan/strategy and then document all that. What if you just saw something in a chart and need to be able to put on a trade w/in, say, 10 minutes? I think knowing Excel would be a major/essential tool in helping streamline all this, right?
I have high hopes and look forward to visiting this forum often!
Well that was cathartic ...

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
Pivot Indicator like the old SwingTemp by Big Mike
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Diary of a simple price action trader
26 thanks
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
21 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
19 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
16 thanks
HumbleTraders next chapter
9 thanks

DavidHP 
Isla Mujeres, MX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: NinjaTrader
Broker: Ninjatrader / Optimus Futures / AmpFutures
Trading: ES / 6E / 6B / CL
Frequency: Every few days
Duration: Minutes
Thanks Given: 11,334
Thanks Received: 2,743

Buck50 View Post
I Googled an obscure type of question about the Think or Swim platform and found a link to this site & found the answer , so I thought up another question, this time about TTM Squeeze and found I am not alone in wondering about this indicator. So this is all looking good to me so far, Thanks Mike!!

I have been trading since about 1996. I have always been intrigued by the idea of being able to make money by investing in what I think is the "next big thing". Well back then that was the internet. I made a lot of money along with everybody else doing that. I would buy 100 shares of whatever and then sell it once I was up $500, Man! was that easy!! ... I started w/100 shares of AAPL ... I didn't have a plan or any idea of what to do though when my stock moved against me. I started in the buy & hold generation, uhhh, so that is what I did, right? & it usually worked considering the uptrend we were in until 2000. Needless to say I lost all that money, except for I did breakdown and buy some really pretty furniture, otherwise I would just reinvest all my profits ... so. Thank God I had a job!

Reflecting back on my life I have discovered I am one heck of an optimist. After all that I also discovered StockCharts.com (I can’t give that website enough thumbs ups, hearts, or smiles.) and convinced myself I had an understanding and an edge, not to mention experience (bad as it was), when it came to trading stocks. True to my nature, I jumped back on that pony again. Well rinse and repeat, except for I didn't keep my $500 rule. In fact I didn't have any rules and still don't, much to my demise.

I bought some books:
  • Cramer, James J., Mason, Cliff (2009). Getting Back to Even. New York, NY: Simon and Schuster.
  • Farley, Alan S. (2001). The Master Swing Trader. New York, NY: Mcgraw-Hill.
  • Murphy, John J. (1999). Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets. New York, NY: New York Institute of Finance.
  • Prechter, Robert R., Jr. (1999). The Science of History and Social Prediction. Gainesville, GA: New Classics Library.
  • Elder, Alexander (2014). The New Trading for a Living. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
  • Elder, Alexander (2002). Come Into My Trading Room. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
  • Nison, Steve (2001). Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques. New York, NY: New York Institute of Finance.

I have joined/subscribed to a bunch of clubs and websites ...

Right now I am subscribed to Real Vision and am reading Elder's Come Into My Trading Room. I think Real Vision is the very best "club" I have ever joined! As for the books; of all the one's I have, this book will be the ONLY one I have read from front to back ... what a shame! So far I have used the other books only for reference. Anyway it is real good, readable and helpful, and has inspired me to read my other one's front to back. I am no longer working so I have no excuse for not reading my books, and following Elder's suggestions. The fact that I don't do these things is something about myself that "I just don't get". Another reason I joined here is because I read in more than one person's post that they were using this site for accountability. I hope I can find that here too. What does that (accountability) look like on this site, where do I find it?

I have been looking a long time for a book, membership, or somebody to tell me what in the Hell to do in order to trade for a living. Come Into My Trading Room seems to be fitting the bill ... we will see. What I wouldn't give to have just one semester w/a good teacher, classmates, and a lab covering the topics in this book. Being an independent/professional trader (doing it for a living) is very lonely! There is an Investors & Traders group through Meetup that meets once a month for beers and chatting that I usually go to. There's always at least 20 people attending: I'm telling you we are a lonely crowd! It would be nice if I could find a small group (5-6 peeps) within this group that would like to get together to try to advance our skills/methods. The idea of me arranging this is daunting since it is a large group, meets just once/month, and attendance is not consistent. Ohhh, the excuses!

After reading Elder's book (I'm almost finished) I have so many questions and realize I am deficient in many of the things you need to be able to trade for a living.

To start:[*]I don't know Excel[*]I don't know how to code in Think-or-Swim (for scans, back testing, and indicators); in fact the only coding I know is Pig Latin[*]I don't think I have the patience or maybe it's just that I don't know how to quickly/efficiently create, implement, and evaluate the outcome of a plan/strategy and then document all that. What if you just saw something in a chart and need to be able to put on a trade w/in, say, 10 minutes? I think knowing Excel would be a major/essential tool in helping streamline all this, right?
I have high hopes and look forward to visiting this forum often!
Well that was cathartic ...

I suggest you become an elite member here and check out the Webinars.
Search in the Webinars for "Where to start as a trader?"

FWIW

Sent using the NexusFi mobile app

Rejoice in the Thunderstorms of Life . . .
Knowing it's not about Clouds or Wind. . .
But Learning to Dance in the Rain ! ! !
Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
 Grantx 
Reading UK
Legendary no drama Llama

Experience: None
Thanks Given: 2,826
Thanks Received: 5,058

Buck50 View Post
I think Real Vision is the very best "club" I have ever joined!

I agree with you. And they are doing a special, only $1 for the next year.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Reply With Quote
 tinker 
newyork

Trading: es
Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 0

Hello wasn't sure where to post this but really need an experienced coder for chapter 2 in this free study guide you can find in the link below along with chapter 2 demonstration of knowledge basically chart examples. I have a full summary quick reference if needed. Please note that the KME variable is not needed just the price definitions ideally in thinkorswim or ninjatrader

TheStrategyLab.com Free Support Forum ? View forum - WRB Analysis Tutorial Chapters 1, 2 and 3 Study Guide (Questions, Answers & DOKs)

Sinky
copenhagen Denmark

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 3

Hi everyone, looking forward to joining this community.

I'll be funding up my 2nd account soon, as I my first try a couple of years ago failed due to not enough consistency and planning.

This time my trade plan is more precise so I expect another level of consistency.

As I live in Denmark I've been trying to find a decent futures broker with small commisions. My last broker was Apex futures, but would like a european one if possible. But looks like AMP Global might be right for me..otherwise I'll have to choose a US-based one.

Would love to hear from other scandinavian people if you have any recommendations.

Trading style will be trend continuation and I'll be using a mix of 1xcontracts and Micros to size positions.

Good trading everyone!

Shippy 
Australia/New Zealand

Experience: Beginner
Platform: Ninja trader
Trading: ES
Thanks Given: 56

Hi,

Thought I'd say hi to all.
Been a member now for 280 days, and only just making my first post now. Yes i am slow, but i figured whats the hurry.

I believe we partake in an industry that often ppl are too impulsive anyways.

Just wanted to thank all that have contributed to this forum over the years. Such amazing insight and content contained within, its hard to know where to start reading (thus 280 days later )

OK, back to my hole for the time being

TY all

jediknight
montreal

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 6

Good day forum members.
I would like first to introduce myself as a new member in the community.
I’m not new to trading nor futures, but I have to admit, I’ve often came by to search for information on the forum in order to get better at what we all like to do. That beeing said, I thought it was time for me to make the initial step and subscribing into the community. I wish you all and the best and thank you once again in letting me joining the community.
Best regards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFour 
San Diego / Costa Rica

Experience: Intermediate
Trading: ES, NQ

Hi Everyone,

I joined in February and have gained a lot from reading all the different forums. I've decided I need to get more involved because, otherwise, trading can be a very lonely endeavor.

I've mostly been a real estate guy and have worked in mortgage loans, raw land investments, foreclosure asset management, house flipping and most recently I renovated a small hotel in Costa Rica where I spend half the year.

Besides being a financial advisor with a series 7 license for a short time before the market crashed in 2007, I haven't had a lot of experience with the stock market. In January I started learning and practicing futures trading. Most of my initial information came from this forum and I hope I can give back someday and help others the way you all helped me.

Since January I've tried multiple different strategies, practice accounts, brokers and trading platforms. I started with sim trading and was very consistently profiting $1k/day but quickly realized as soon as I put real money in that the psychology of sim is very different. I lost about $6k rather quickly with my first trade being somewhat hilarious (now, not then) as it was 1 minute before a huge spike in the market and I lost $800 in a matter of minutes. I then switched back to Sim and tried a TopStep combine to force myself to adhere to some rules. I think the account size I chose ($50K) had too tight of parameters for my style of trading so I cancelled it after failing twice. I'm now doing sim trading and looking to try a $150K OneUp combine. I know there's a strong chance that I will get funded eventually and then fail once funded due to the tightened scaling parameters. But, for me, it is one of the best training techniques because psychologically it feels like I'm trading with real money but I'm not risking much and there is still some good upside potential.

Anyways, this was meant to be a simple introduction that turned into much more. I'm looking forward to being a part of the community and hopefully I can contribute by sharing some of my experiences.

James

Thanked by:

AXYLROSE 
Portsmouth UK

Platform: Ninja Trader 8
Trading: Crude
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 3

Buck50, thanks for your comments. I think I’ll buy Mr Elder’s ”Come into My Trading Room”

Sent from my iPhone using futures.io

afvetjim
Plano, TX

Thanks Received: 0

I'm going on 50 years old and I've had several careers. 12 years in the Air Force, 12+ years in Information Systems Technology. 8+ years owner of a pool service company in Texas and finally 3 years long haul trucker.

I have very little trading experience but the idea of day trading for a living has intrigued me for 20+ years. I've owned and own just a few stocks and mutual funds but that's the sum of my experience. I've searched the internet for a day trading training program but all I find are expensive and questionable programs. I have no problem with investing money to gain necessary knowledge for success in day trading but I can't seem to find a program without negative reviews that give me concern. Several posts from this group suggest training programs aren't necessary and that this group provides the necessary foundation to get started. I'm here to test those posts and I pray they are accurate.

I'm hoping this group will provide recommendations on books, programs, tools, etc that will get me on the right path to successful day trading. I'm also hoping to develop a relationship with a full time trader who is looking to mentor an eager trading student.

Both my wife (of 28 years) and I are hoping that this chapter of our lives will provide livable income and travel freedom. We don't desire to be rich but we do want to be successful. My wife is very much interested in trading herself which is always a plus when a couple can do something together.

I'm going to explore the free features for a few days and if I'm not disappointed, I'll probably him the elite group.

Finally, any book recommendations?

Regards,
James

P.S. posting with a phone so please forgive spelling and grammar mistakes.

Last Updated on April 14, 2024

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts