NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Selling Options on Futures?

Discussion in Options

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one ron99 with 2,221 posts (4,489 thanks)
    2. looks_two SMCJB with 346 posts (733 thanks)
    3. looks_3 kevinkdog with 341 posts (400 thanks)
    4. looks_4 myrrdin with 288 posts (408 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one SMCJB with 2.1 thanks per post
    2. looks_two ron99 with 2 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 myrrdin with 1.4 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 kevinkdog with 1.2 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 1,950,287 views
    2. thumb_up 9,259 thanks given
    3. group 458 followers
    1. forum 7,370 posts
    2. attach_file 794 attachments

Search this Thread

Selling Options on Futures?

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Experience: Advanced
Platform: TT and Stellar
Broker: Advantage Futures
Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.
Frequency: Many times daily
Duration: Never
Thanks Given: 4,375
Thanks Received: 10,192

psears View Post
If you look at "all" on the chart it goes back to Jan '94 and you can see the historical volatility spikes. Check out the last spike at the end of 2018, and where Cordier was selling at right before it....

That's the thing. People act like it was a freak, black swan, never to happen again event. It's happened 5 other times in the last 20 years. That's once every 4 years!

Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
The space time continuum and the dynamics of a financial …
Emini and Emicro Index
Better Renko Gaps
The Elite Circle
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
NexusFi Journal Challenge - April 2024
Feedback and Announcements
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout

mattz   is a Vendor

Thanks Given: 2,440
Thanks Received: 3,789

SMCJB View Post
That's the thing. People act like it was a freak, black swan, never to happen again event. It's happened 5 other times in the last 20 years. That's once every 4 years!

It has to happen to you once to engrave it deeply in your thought process. Then you start thinking of risk along with the "one-off" and it's consequences on your overall portfolio.

Matt Z
Optimus Futures

There is a substantial risk of loss in futures trading. Past performance is not indicative of future results.

Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results. You may lose more than your initial investment. All posts are opinions and do not claim to be facts. Please conduct your own due diligence. Use only Risk capital when trading Futures.
1 800 771 6748 local 561 367 8686 email [email protected]
Thanked by:
 myrrdin 
Linz Austria

Platform: TWS
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: Commodities
Thanks Given: 3,686
Thanks Received: 2,651

SMCJB View Post

Very important point.

This is why I like longterm charts for volatility instead of today's value.

Best regards, Myrrdin

Tomaz26
Maribor Slovenia

Thanks Given: 1
Thanks Received: 6

If you are selling volatility, part of your premium exists because you are selling insurance premium for events that have never happened before".

Because most people (me included) just look at the past chart and look to what has happened before and mostly only in recent weeks or months and project that into the future. Most people know that IV is usually higher than historical volatility, but this is the reason - you never know when an extraordinary thing will happen, something never seen before and so you pay a premium for protection against that events. And if you sell premium then you have to know that sooner than later some unforeseen thing WILL HAPPEN! It would be way too easy to exploit higher IV if that was not the case..

just my 2 cents, learned that lesson in CL end of last year. Yeah, CL cannot go from 76 to 50 or lower so fast, no reasons for it, only to watch it go to almost 40 and buying it all the way down.. Erased all 2018 gains in a month.

and agree with the poster who mentioned that it has to happen to you to learn. I knew those things can and do happen, but still did not think they it will happen to me..

Thanked by:
Forex37
Zurich

Thanks Given: 65
Thanks Received: 17

Ron,
you mentioned around Dec. 21st that a for a new entry the blocked funds should exceed 6x IM. In the light of all of Dec, what would you consider sensible?

Thanks

Forex37

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

Forex37 View Post
Ron,
you mentioned around Dec. 21st that a for a new entry the blocked funds should exceed 6x IM. In the light of all of Dec, what would you consider sensible?

Thanks

Forex37

Off the top of my head, 7x minimum.

I'm not trading ES now. Too much unpredictability now.

Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

Trading: Primarily Energy but also a little Equities, Fixed Income, Metals and Crypto.

Interesting announcement from CME with regards to finally launching Micro S&P500 futures. For those of you in the "Selling Options cause it never going there" camp maybe uninteresting. But if your in the [Buying (shhhh) or] "Selling Volaitility" camp because you want to trade I (I mean sell) vol and not delta trade this is a potential way to delta hedge very small ES option positions.

https://www.cmegroup.com/cme-group-futures-exchange/micro-futures.html

Thanked by:

SMCJB 
Houston TX
Legendary Market Wizard

S&P500 at 5.5 month highs about 500 points above it's Xmas lows
VIX at 5.5 month lows almost 25 points below the Xmas highs!
Amazing what 65 days can do!

tinaturner
BARCELONA/SPAIN

Thanks Given: 2
Thanks Received: 2

ron99 View Post
I'm not doing any ES put spreads right now. But if you are I would suggest moving from 6xIM to higher.

I just watched ES futures drop 50 in 2 hours and then rise 35 in 1 hour. Thursday's moves were even more extreme.

Hello Ron, Myrrdin ...
I am looking for a strategy that allows me to be in the market in any situation without having to worry too much about suffering great losses, even if this means giving up part of profitability. The basis of the strategy that I am thinking about is the -2 + 3PUT of which so much has been spoken in this thread. I have thought to add to the strategy a purchased PUT of expiration to a month approximately by 0.8-1 as anti crash insurance. Each month this insurance protection is renewed. Meanwhile, the original strategy is managed as usual. With this I limit the losses very much in case of big falls and this security allows me to operate month by month without worrying too much about the market. I think Ron has stopped the strategy for more than 6 months because of the current economic and political uncertainty. Adding the proposed insurance would have been able to continue operating the strategy normally, sacrificing, yes, a bit of profitability.
The protective PUT purchased, according to my checks, limits the loss of a lot (-2PUT + 3PUT + 1PUT) to $ 2500 approx. We could reserve for guarantees for each lot that amount that would undoubtedly be less than 7xIM.

I would appreciate comments on this

ron99 
Cleveland, OH

Platform: QST
Broker: QST, DeCarley Trading, Gain
Trading: Options on Futures
Thanks Given: 980
Thanks Received: 5,785

tinaturner View Post
Hello Ron, Myrrdin ...
I am looking for a strategy that allows me to be in the market in any situation without having to worry too much about suffering great losses, even if this means giving up part of profitability. The basis of the strategy that I am thinking about is the -2 + 3PUT of which so much has been spoken in this thread. I have thought to add to the strategy a purchased PUT of expiration to a month approximately by 0.8-1 as anti crash insurance. Each month this insurance protection is renewed. Meanwhile, the original strategy is managed as usual. With this I limit the losses very much in case of big falls and this security allows me to operate month by month without worrying too much about the market. I think Ron has stopped the strategy for more than 6 months because of the current economic and political uncertainty. Adding the proposed insurance would have been able to continue operating the strategy normally, sacrificing, yes, a bit of profitability.
The protective PUT purchased, according to my checks, limits the loss of a lot (-2PUT + 3PUT + 1PUT) to $ 2500 approx. We could reserve for guarantees for each lot that amount that would undoubtedly be less than 7xIM.

I would appreciate comments on this

So you are thinking that adding another long put is better than increasing cash excess. Can you give us examples of how this would have performed vs the -2 + 3 strategy recently with the big drops in ES price?

Started this thread Reply With Quote

Last Updated on July 28, 2023

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts