NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Logic behind TOS's FW_MOBO_Advanced?

Discussion in ThinkOrSwim

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one davidinc with 2 posts (6 thanks)
    2. looks_two whats1thingnow with 2 posts (0 thanks)
    3. looks_3 derivativesnyc with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    4. looks_4 youngcommerce with 1 posts (0 thanks)
    1. trending_up 7,464 views
    2. thumb_up 7 thanks given
    3. group 10 followers
    1. forum 10 posts
    2. attach_file 0 attachments

Logic behind TOS's FW_MOBO_Advanced?

bobbydigital83 
San Francisco Ca/USA

Experience: Advanced
Platform: tos
Trading: es
Thanks Given: 12
Thanks Received: 7

Hello, I am looking into the TOS's FW_MOBO_Advanced. I know its basically the Bollinger 10, -.8, +.8 but in the indicator there is a "Pattern buy" and "pattern sell."

I was wondering if someone here might know the exact logic that defines those "pattern break" sells and buy?

This is TOS explanation but I can't seem to duplicate it:

---Using settings on adjusted standard deviation bands (Bollinger Bands®), the study has momentum breakouts above the bands for positive moves and momentum breakdowns for price breaks below the bands indicated by Pattern Break signals. Moreover, using Fisher transform technique, this advanced version of the study displays Fisher Break signals. This works for all time periods and tick charts.---

Thanks!

Started this thread

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Are there any eval firms that allow you to sink to your …
Traders Hideout
New Micros: Ultra 10-Year & Ultra T-Bond -- Live Now
Treasury Notes and Bonds
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader
ZombieSqueeze
Platforms and Indicators
Futures True Range Report
The Elite Circle

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Get funded firms 2023/2024 - Any recommendations or word …
61 thanks
Funded Trader platforms
39 thanks
NexusFi site changelog and issues/problem reporting
26 thanks
The Program
18 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
18 thanks

kjhosken 
Seattle, WA/USA

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TOS, TS
Trading: Forex, crude
Thanks Given: 7
Thanks Received: 35

From what I know the general MOBO trade is a close above/below the bb you mentioned. The advanced version also incorporates the signals from the FW Fisher Transform Oscillator

Follow me on Twitter
Thanked by:

davidinc
Great Falls, Montana

Thanks Given: 0
Thanks Received: 1

It's been more than 10 years since I wrote the MOBO study for David Elliot's FW Trader group on thinkorswim, so my memory may be a bit fuzzy. I recall I got better results by not using it for breakouts (for entry), but as an indicator of whether or not to stay in a existing trade, primarily to prevent early exits when the trend hasn't really changed.
1. The closes between the bands are noise. Don't do anything.
2. A Breakout only occurs when the previous trend is down, and the bar closes above the band. If price goes above, but closes below there is no breakout. The arrows in the study will indicate when the breakout occurs. Please note any breakout arrow while the bar is open is not the signal. This false indicator happens because the "close" price of the bar can fluctuate (it's actually the last trade price) while the bar is open. It's not a bonafide signal until the bar is actually closed. Having said that, if it's 5 minutes till closing and you're trading a daily chart, you can estimate where the close will be and make your decision based on that.
3. A Breakdown is the opposite.
5. For best results don't trade the break until the next bar opens outside the band, in the same direction.

Trendchangeprob
Lebanon New Hampshire

Thanks Given: 1

I have a system that is similar to this, so it was easy for me to figure out how to use it. For a year or two I have been telling people about it. The best way to understand is to start with the fw mobo basic. Logic! An established trend is high probability. So entering a trade with a signal in the same direction will have a higher success rate. ignore signals in a squeeze. You could enter with trend; then exit with a reversal signal, then re-enter in the previous trend direction with a signal for it. Remember that the probability that the counter trend is over goes up at 50% and 61.8 %. THEN the probability of the main trend decreases with every hit of resistance areas like previous day highs, lows, overnight swing highs and lows and squeeze breakout areas. Upper time frame bbands are also resistance areas. Round, big numbers, trend lines, average trend ranges like say 25-30 /es points.

FirstWave
Detroit Michigan

Thanks Received: 0

Hello,

I am new to this site and I am in search of my personal Holy Grail.

Many years ago I followed David Elliot and First Wave (FW) on TOS. I was very saddened by David passing. Recently I re-discovered the FW indicators on TOS and have been using them for mini ES trading.

I am successfully using MOBO, SOAP, FisherTransformer, and MMG. I am searching for David's training DVDs so I can gain more information and mastery of the FW system.

Does anyone have access to the FW training DVDs that could be copied and purchased? I noticed the Chartsnchat web site has a good amount of FW information listed, but it seems the linked files are no longer operable.

Any help in my Holy Grail quest for David's FW training DVDs would be appreciated.

Thank you.

davidinc
Great Falls, Montana

I have a half-dozen of David's DVD videos circa 2008 that I purchased at a class he taught. I didn't find the videos particularly useful since they were on a different platform (non-ToS), which is why I wrote a bunch of studies that he used in his chat room at ToS. ToS may have recordings of those chat sessions available. They were a lot of fun and heavily attended.

Source code for the studies I wrote is available for individual use on request.

regards,
David

youngcommerce
Romeoville

Thanks Given: 1

davidinc View Post
I have a half-dozen of David's DVD videos circa 2008 that I purchased at a class he taught. I didn't find the videos particularly useful since they were on a different platform (non-ToS), which is why I wrote a bunch of studies that he used in his chat room at ToS. ToS may have recordings of those chat sessions available. They were a lot of fun and heavily attended.

regards,
David

Is it possible to get the source code for the advanced fw mobo study?

whats1thingnow
Whistler, BC

Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 9

davidinc View Post

regards,
David

amazing, would be interested in getting the source code for "FW_MOBO_Basic" study as well

thanks in advance!

whats1thingnow
Whistler, BC

Thanks Given: 25
Thanks Received: 9

anyone know how the fw_mobo_basic on TOS changes color from red to green and vice versa?

thank you!

strehsum
Eau Claire, WI

I would be in for the source code as well if you could send it to me.

Last Updated on April 23, 2022

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts