NexusFi: Find Your Edge

Home Menu

Trading the ASX200 FUTURES

Discussion in Emini and Emicro Index

Updated
      Top Posters
    1. looks_one Ozquant with 12 posts (10 thanks)
    2. looks_two martinhunting with 4 posts (3 thanks)
    3. looks_3 mrcoot with 3 posts (2 thanks)
    4. looks_4 amoeba with 2 posts (0 thanks)
      Best Posters
    1. looks_one s0mmi with 2 thanks per post
    2. looks_two Ozquant with 0.8 thanks per post
    3. looks_3 martinhunting with 0.8 thanks per post
    4. looks_4 mrcoot with 0.7 thanks per post
    1. trending_up 11,129 views
    2. thumb_up 18 thanks given
    3. group 11 followers
    1. forum 27 posts
    2. attach_file 18 attachments

Search this Thread

Trading the ASX200 FUTURES

martinhunting 
melbourne victoria australia

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ninjatrader
Broker: FXCM
Trading: AUS200
Thanks Given: 59
Thanks Received: 149

I live in Australia and trade the ASX200 FUTURES . Is there other traders also trading the ASX200 FUTURES? I would be interested in discussing the market.

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:

Can you help answer these questions
from other members on NexusFi?
Exit Strategy
NinjaTrader
Increase in trading performance by 75%
The Elite Circle
Trade idea based off three indicators.
Traders Hideout
MC PL editor upgrade
MultiCharts
NT7 Indicator Script Troubleshooting - Camarilla Pivots
NinjaTrader

Best Threads (Most Thanked)
in the last 7 days on NexusFi
Just another trading journal: PA, Wyckoff & Trends
28 thanks
Tao te Trade: way of the WLD
24 thanks
Diary of a simple price action trader
21 thanks
My NQ Trading Journal
14 thanks
GFIs1 1 DAX trade per day journal
9 thanks

s0mmi 
Sydney, Australia

Experience: Master
Platform: TT & CQG
Trading: Bonds of every country (AU/UK/CA/EU/US), Commodities (Soft, Hard, Metals), Currencies,
Thanks Given: 11
Thanks Received: 132

Yes I trade it but I hedge it with the S&P500 overnight. Also known as the 'spi-mini' spread. I've done that spread for about 4 years now.

Just a word of advice, my prop firm had "Australia's biggest spi day trader" in the SPI and he gave back his limits a few years ago. I think he recently got them back again but let me tell you, it took a lot of heart out of those who made their living on that from 2006-2011. We also had a guy who owned a few ferraris and used to trade only SPI back on the SFE Floor days in the 70's and 80's... and guess who got crushed in the past few years and ended up retiring?

If you are doing positional trades and trends on it then I guess that's Okay but then again you can trade any market with this nack for trends and breaks or whatever.

Most people who trade the SPI trade it like a complete spastic; a very common trade is to pyramid/martingale after 4pm and see where the ASX200 cash closes at 4:10pm, then try to make your living there. I don't like this type of averaging hard and going all-in so I avoid it.

There are a very, very few number of humans who participate in it outright successfully that I am aware of (every day). If anyone has any advice on what they can share I would love to hear.

Thanked by:

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, Python, C#
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: MJNK, ASX, SPI
Thanks Given: 98
Thanks Received: 284

Nice insights s0mmi, cheers.

To-date I have mostly been systematic trading on US markets, I wanted to get into discretionary trading but not the midnight variety, been playing with some ideas via SPI CFD's while trading the Mini Nikkei (take a look at that if you don't end up on the SPI).

s0mmi makes a good point about hedging on the S&P 500, biggest difference I have found with our local market compared to US, our day session is very reactionary to over night movement compared to say ES where you can look for tests/re-tests and confirmations of night levels in the day session.

Our market might rip and go after a big US session, or just dry up and consolidate (most frustrating). But often never re-test prior day RTH levels.

I use volume/market profiling and find I have to use both day & night sessions to get a good picture and define my levels, where on ES you can just use RTH only.

Ozquant
Brisbane Queensland Australia

Thanks Given: 167
Thanks Received: 380

Most days the majority of the days range is done in first 90 minutes and ive found taking the first early swing or fading the overnight trend the best bet . Most daily cash ranges overlap and that can be something to exploit . There are many edges to exploit in the SPI/XJO/AUS200 imo and its a very overlooked instrument by australians and i am perplexed as to why tbh . Whilst daily ranges are small lately its still miles ahead of many indice . I do not scalp and take 3 types of trades

Intra Swings where i try and net >50% daily range in 1 trade
2-3 day swings where i target 50-150 points
3-6 weeks swings with entry around SPI expiry , a certain money flow / cycle repeats ad nauseum

Using a quantitative approach many patterns (for want of a better word) exist that are not really visible to the naked eye . Times where price is not really random . Find this and >50% of a year is predictable in asx200 , not predictable in a way of defining targets to the point but predictable in the sense of trend is 80% probable in v^ direction

SPI EXPIRY overlay on daily

Intra daily range done early in cash session

I have a couple algos that perform very well trading ASX200 both intra and daily timeframes .

Long only daily since 2003 , no risk management with dynamic sizing , i have a short algo as well and running concurrently the curve is actually smooth as silk with max DD 16% over same period...edit (not too mention as well as smoother curve it is also faster ) . The worst trade here is 1 week after lehmans declared bankruptcy

Put the time in and its a good instrument imo

Thanked by:
Ozquant

Calling out SPI /ASX200 traders to get a group of like minded individuals together to chew the fat during asx hours . bit of collective thinking , idea sharing and social chit chat ... Any takers Skype whatever

Getting a good active thread going here as well on the agenda . Hit me up please if interested

martinhunting 
melbourne victoria australia

Experience: Advanced
Platform: ninjatrader
Broker: FXCM
Trading: AUS200
Thanks Given: 59
Thanks Received: 149

Ozquant View Post
Calling out SPI /ASX200 traders to get a group of like minded individuals together to chew the fat during asx hours . bit of collective thinking , idea sharing and social chit chat ... Any takers Skype whatever

Getting a good active thread going here as well on the agenda . Hit me up please if interested

Hi!

I would be interested in discussing the ASX 200 and forming a group

Visit my NexusFi Trade Journal Started this thread Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Ozquant

martinhunting View Post
Hi!

I would be interested in discussing the ASX 200 and forming a group

Ive sent you a PM Martin

First week of the year and looking at seasonals it looks typical that SPI drops of into mid Jan , i dont put a heap of weight into it but taken in context it can be useful .

Ozquant

Historically the best ranging day of week XJO is a tuesday but the continuity of these studies is skewed by huge range days such as US election / Brexit type events . In my experience Monday is the weakest cash range of the week so monday is the day to play golf

Naturally always exceptions to the rule but Mondays either dull as or rampant trenders and not much inbetween , the olive markers on price are mondays with Cash range in bottom pane and mondays marked with red arrows

Note many of the trender mondays are gap opens and range breaks , something to note . if US holidays either side weekend squeezes of crowded trades ( sentiment ) are common

Thanked by:

amoeba 
Sydney, NSW, Australia

Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart, Python, C#
Broker: Interactive Brokers
Trading: MJNK, ASX, SPI
Thanks Given: 98
Thanks Received: 284

Great to see some SPI action, or any action in our time zone

I considered trading the SPI this year, I have been on the Mini-Nikkei the last 18 months, but lack of volatility is just a killer, either I needed to massively size up or start shopping for a new instrument. So NY resolution is to first check out the Kospi200, if that doesn't work out I might end up on the SPI.

So will be keeping an eye on your work

Last Updated on February 4, 2021

© 2024 NexusFi™, s.a., All Rights Reserved.
Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama City, Panama, Ph: +507 833-9432 (Panama and Intl), +1 888-312-3001 (USA and Canada)
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice. There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
About Us - Contact Us - Site Rules, Acceptable Use, and Terms and Conditions - Privacy Policy - Downloads - Top
no new posts