Yield on Collateral in an Option Selling Portfolio - Options on Futures | futures io social trading
futures io futures trading


Yield on Collateral in an Option Selling Portfolio
Updated: Views / Replies:258 / 1
Created: by bill20 Attachments:0

Welcome to futures io.

Welcome, Guest!

This forum was established to help traders (especially futures traders) by openly sharing indicators, strategies, methods, trading journals and discussing the psychology of trading.

We are fundamentally different than most other trading forums:
  • We work extremely hard to keep things positive on our forums.
  • We do not tolerate rude behavior, trolling, or vendor advertising in posts.
  • We firmly believe in openness and encourage sharing. The holy grail is within you, it is not something tangible you can download.
  • We expect our members to participate and become a part of the community. Help yourself by helping others.


You'll need to register in order to view the content of the threads and start contributing to our community. It's free and simple, and we will never resell your private information.

-- Big Mike

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 

Yield on Collateral in an Option Selling Portfolio

  #1 (permalink)
Elite Member
Santa Barbara, CA USA
 
Futures Experience: Intermediate
Platform: TOS
Favorite Futures: Futures Options
 
Posts: 18 since Oct 2016
Thanks: 8 given, 4 received

Yield on Collateral in an Option Selling Portfolio

Does anyone utilize collateral other than cash in an option selling portfolio? Examples could include treasuries, money market, dividend yielding stocks, etc.

In addition to obtaining yield, minimizing the "haircut" on available margin is critical to ensure continued viability of option trading and the associated volatility. For example, obtaining a 1% yield with 100% margin available could be much more appealing than a 3% yield and a cost of 40% of available margin (leaving only 60% margin for trading).

The CME seems to have collateral parameters listed here:

Financial and Collateral Management

I realize that we are in a low interest rate environment but I think this could be an interesting discussion from a strategic perspective.


Sent from my iPad using futures.io mobile app

Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to bill20 for this post:
 
  #2 (permalink)
Elite Member
Steubenville Ohio
 
Futures Experience: Intermediate
Platform: OX, OEC, RJO
Favorite Futures: Options on Futures
 
Posts: 206 since Sep 2012
Thanks: 25 given, 219 received


bill20 View Post
Does anyone utilize collateral other than cash in an option selling portfolio? Examples could include treasuries, money market, dividend yielding stocks, etc.

I have in the past. My broker would allow me to buy short-term treasuries with money that would have been sitting in my account for margin, but I could only do a portion of my account balance (I can't remember). When the treasuries would mature I could purchase they next round. If at any time things started getting tight on margin I would have been forced to sell those treasuries early in order to get those funds back in my account to cover the margin.

I'm not sure if there are many brokers who do this anymore.

Reply With Quote

Reply



futures io > > > > Yield on Collateral in an Option Selling Portfolio

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Upcoming Webinars and Events (4:30PM ET unless noted)

FIO Journal Challenge featuring NinjaTrader ($2,000+ of prizes)

May

An overview of volumetric analytical tools w/Sergey Sokolov @ PTMC

Elite only

John Hoagland (TBA)

Elite only

FuturesTrader71 Extended Ask Me Anything (AMA)

Elite only

Pete @ Jigsaw Trading (TBA)

Elite only

John @ No BS Day Trading (TBA)

Elite only

An Afternoon with FIO member Softsoap (being rescheduled)

Elite only
     

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Diversified Option Selling Portfolio myrrdin Options on Futures 828 Yesterday 02:28 PM
Option Selling Platform and Broker bill20 Options on Futures 6 October 17th, 2016 04:59 PM
Selling to close an option brags Options on Futures 6 October 15th, 2015 06:05 PM
Webinar: Option Selling with and without insurance w/Carley Garner Big Mike Options on Futures 50 March 24th, 2015 05:52 PM
T-bills as collateral for Trading MarthaChiriboga Reviews of Brokers and Data Feeds 5 February 19th, 2014 03:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:31 AM.

Copyright © 2017 by futures io, s.a., Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama, +507 833-9432, info@futures.io
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice.
There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
no new posts
Page generated 2017-05-26 in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries on phoenix via your IP 54.196.107.247