Annoying advertisements - Off-Topic | futures io social day trading
futures io futures trading


Annoying advertisements
Updated: Views / Replies:556 / 6
Created: by aligator Attachments:0

Welcome to futures io.

(If you already have an account, login at the top of the page)

futures io is the largest futures trading community on the planet, with over 90,000 members. At futures io, our goal has always been and always will be to create a friendly, positive, forward-thinking community where members can openly share and discuss everything the world of trading has to offer. The community is one of the friendliest you will find on any subject, with members going out of their way to help others. Some of the primary differences between futures io and other trading sites revolve around the standards of our community. Those standards include a code of conduct for our members, as well as extremely high standards that govern which partners we do business with, and which products or services we recommend to our members.

At futures io, our focus is on quality education. No hype, gimmicks, or secret sauce. The truth is: trading is hard. To succeed, you need to surround yourself with the right support system, educational content, and trading mentors Ė all of which you can find on futures io, utilizing our social trading environment.

With futures io, you can find honest trading reviews on brokers, trading rooms, indicator packages, trading strategies, and much more. Our trading review process is highly moderated to ensure that only genuine users are allowed, so you donít need to worry about fake reviews.

We are fundamentally different than most other trading sites:
  • We are here to help. Just let us know what you need.
  • We work extremely hard to keep things positive in our community.
  • We do not tolerate rude behavior, trolling, or vendors advertising in posts.
  • We firmly believe in and encourage sharing. The holy grail is within you, we can help you find it.
  • We expect our members to participate and become a part of the community. Help yourself by helping others.

You'll need to register in order to view the content of the threads and start contributing to our community.  It's free and simple.

-- Big Mike, Site Administrator

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 

Annoying advertisements

  #1 (permalink)
Market Wizard
Las Vegas, NV
 
Futures Experience: Advanced
Platform: Abacus, Slide Rule, HP-65, Metastock, TOS, NT
Favorite Futures: Futures
 
aligator's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,424 since Aug 2010
Thanks: 1,053 given, 5,822 received
Forum Reputation: Legendary

Annoying advertisements

I understand that the Elite section is or can be limited with advertisements. Although I fully support the sustainability of futures.io (formerly BMT) and have opted to allow advertisements on my screen, the one video from FXCM is totally annoying. It appears several times during the day and starts on its own. After the first couple of times it really gets on your nerves.

Can we do anything about these self-starting video clip adds?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to aligator for this post:
 
  #2 (permalink)
Elite Member
Aurora, Il USA
 
Futures Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeStation
Favorite Futures: futures
 
kbit's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,872 since Nov 2010
Thanks: 3,301 given, 3,332 received

+1 on that, I draw the line on the audio ads....just to much (not just here but anywhere).
Now that you brought attention to it maybe Mike will nip this in the bud.

Reply With Quote
 
  #3 (permalink)
Market Wizard
Las Vegas, NV
 
Futures Experience: Advanced
Platform: Abacus, Slide Rule, HP-65, Metastock, TOS, NT
Favorite Futures: Futures
 
aligator's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,424 since Aug 2010
Thanks: 1,053 given, 5,822 received
Forum Reputation: Legendary



kbit View Post
+1 on that, I draw the line on the audio ads....just to much (not just here but anywhere).
Now that you brought attention to it maybe Mike will nip this in the bud.

Agree, kbit. Not just the audio and video ads, but all these "Flash"ing ads also. These "Live" ads steal your PC resources in addition to driving us nuts.

Reply With Quote
 
  #4 (permalink)
Elite Member
Aurora, Il USA
 
Futures Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeStation
Favorite Futures: futures
 
kbit's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,872 since Nov 2010
Thanks: 3,301 given, 3,332 received


aligator View Post
Agree, kbit. Not just the audio and video ads, but all these "Flash"ing ads also. These "Live" ads steal your PC resources in addition to driving us nuts.

I hear you on that but, the flashy one's don't bother me quite as much really. Those audio one's make me leave the page instantly and I expect makes others leave as well.

Reply With Quote
 
  #5 (permalink)
Site Administrator
Manta, Ecuador
 
Futures Experience: Advanced
Platform: My own custom solution
Favorite Futures: E-mini ES S&P 500
 
Big Mike's Avatar
 
Posts: 46,238 since Jun 2009
Thanks: 29,350 given, 83,220 received

Thanks for the feedback.

The ad should not start on its own, it only starts if you move your mouse over it. I've tested in Chrome, Firefox and IE, all behave as I described. None of them auto-start unless you move your mouse over them. I think what is happening is you are unintentionally moving your mouse over it, and it starts playing. If that is not the case, I'd like to hear from you as to what version of browser you are using and what version of Flash.

I do have extremely strict guidelines for ads on the site. In fact, 9 out of 10 people who approach me to place ads on the site are not allowed to do so. We say "no" to 90% of them. I only allow ads that I believe represent the best of the best in the industry. Out of the remaining ~10%, I have final say on all ad content on the site. If I believe an ad is questionable, I will reject it.

While I don't personally see any problem with this video ad (to be honest, I thought it was kind of cool), I will talk to the marketing department at FXCM and let them know there has been a complaint about it, and keep tabs on it.

However, I don't agree that ads "steal resources". In terms of total bandwidth on any given page, an ad is probably around 5% of the total, usually less. But I don't want to get overly technical or start any kind of argument as I know the ads can be a touchy subject and obviously some people don't want ads, which is why we give the option to disable them to Elite Members. But I do ask that you leave them on if possible, as it does directly support the site and helps us continue to innovate and improve the site.

Mike

Due to time constraints, please do not PM me if your question can be resolved or answered on the forum.

Need help?
1) Stop changing things. No new indicators, charts, or methods. Be consistent with what is in front of you first.
2) Start a journal and post to it daily with the trades you made to show your strengths and weaknesses.
3) Set goals for yourself to reach daily. Make them about how you trade, not how much money you make.
4) Accept responsibility for your actions. Stop looking elsewhere to explain away poor performance.
5) Where to start as a trader? Watch this webinar and read this thread for hundreds of questions and answers.
6)
Help using the forum? Watch this video to learn general tips on using the site.

If you want
to support our community, become an Elite Member.

Reply With Quote
 
  #6 (permalink)
Elite Member
Aurora, Il USA
 
Futures Experience: Advanced
Platform: TradeStation
Favorite Futures: futures
 
kbit's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,872 since Nov 2010
Thanks: 3,301 given, 3,332 received


Big Mike View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

The ad should not start on its own, it only starts if you move your mouse over it. I've tested in Chrome, Firefox and IE, all behave as I described. None of them auto-start unless you move your mouse over them. I think what is happening is you are unintentionally moving your mouse over it, and it starts playing. If that is not the case, I'd like to hear from you as to what version of browser you are using and what version of Flash.

I do have extremely strict guidelines for ads on the site. In fact, 9 out of 10 people who approach me to place ads on the site are not allowed to do so. We say "no" to 90% of them. I only allow ads that I believe represent the best of the best in the industry. Out of the remaining ~10%, I have final say on all ad content on the site. If I believe an ad is questionable, I will reject it.

While I don't personally see any problem with this video ad (to be honest, I thought it was kind of cool), I will talk to the marketing department at FXCM and let them know there has been a complaint about it, and keep tabs on it.

However, I don't agree that ads "steal resources". In terms of total bandwidth on any given page, an ad is probably around 5% of the total, usually less. But I don't want to get overly technical or start any kind of argument as I know the ads can be a touchy subject and obviously some people don't want ads, which is why we give the option to disable them to Elite Members. But I do ask that you leave them on if possible, as it does directly support the site and helps us continue to innovate and improve the site.

Mike

I didn't realize the dragging the mouse over it part....I can live with that, I only experienced it once anyway so haven't paid much attention.

Reply With Quote
 
  #7 (permalink)
Market Wizard
Las Vegas, NV
 
Futures Experience: Advanced
Platform: Abacus, Slide Rule, HP-65, Metastock, TOS, NT
Favorite Futures: Futures
 
aligator's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,424 since Aug 2010
Thanks: 1,053 given, 5,822 received
Forum Reputation: Legendary


Big Mike View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

The ad should not start on its own, it only starts if you move your mouse over it. I've tested in Chrome, Firefox and IE, all behave as I described. None of them auto-start unless you move your mouse over them. I think what is happening is you are unintentionally moving your mouse over it, and it starts playing. If that is not the case, I'd like to hear from you as to what version of browser you are using and what version of Flash.

I do have extremely strict guidelines for ads on the site. In fact, 9 out of 10 people who approach me to place ads on the site are not allowed to do so. We say "no" to 90% of them. I only allow ads that I believe represent the best of the best in the industry. Out of the remaining ~10%, I have final say on all ad content on the site. If I believe an ad is questionable, I will reject it.

While I don't personally see any problem with this video ad (to be honest, I thought it was kind of cool), I will talk to the marketing department at FXCM and let them know there has been a complaint about it, and keep tabs on it.

However, I don't agree that ads "steal resources". In terms of total bandwidth on any given page, an ad is probably around 5% of the total, usually less. But I don't want to get overly technical or start any kind of argument as I know the ads can be a touchy subject and obviously some people don't want ads, which is why we give the option to disable them to Elite Members. But I do ask that you leave them on if possible, as it does directly support the site and helps us continue to innovate and improve the site.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I use the latest Chrome and Flash, they update routinely. As I mentioned, I have opted to allow ads, but I was not aware of moving the mouse over these beasts will wake them up. The video itself is OK, playing it every time you inadvertently cross over it is what is annoying.

Also, any percentage of the PC resources wasted can be precious when you have relevant programs running in the background. Regardless, we all move the cursor all over the page jumping from one thing to another and not always will remember not to wake up the beast. I still think playing this or any video or audio adds should be at our discretion. The advertiser should give the option to actually click the play button. This could be one of futures.io (formerly BMT)'s criteria for allowing such ads.


Last edited by aligator; October 29th, 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Reply With Quote

Reply



futures io > > > Annoying advertisements

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Upcoming Webinars and Events (4:30PM ET unless noted)

Linda Bradford Raschke: Reading The Tape

Elite only

Adam Grimes: TBA

Elite only

NinjaTrader: TBA

January

Ran Aroussi: TBA

Elite only
     


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:45 AM.

Copyright © 2017 by futures io, s.a., Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama, +507 833-9432, info@futures.io
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice.
There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
no new posts
Page generated 2017-12-13 in 0.12 seconds with 19 queries on phoenix via your IP 54.92.201.232