Well, I guess the honeymoon is over. I've had my issues with NT since I started using it, but nothing that couldn't be overcome.
But this week has been brutal. The last 2-3 days I started having freeze ups at seemingly random times, only 1 or 2 per day. Then today, it froze twice on me in the middle of trades.
They are different than the typical Strategy Analyzer issues I've had though. Usually you get a popup message saying NT has encountered an error, etc., etc. - but once you restart you're good to go for another while.
But now all I hear is the CPU roaring and it totally hangs so that the only way out is to end the process. And it's happening after a very short time after attempting to do something almost trivial, like change some chart properties.
Anyway, I've tried a few things to isolate/repair the problem and have had a suggestion from support to start with a fresh DB - which I've done.
Things I've tried...
- reviewed trace files - nothing obvious other than many "AccountUpdatesRequest" entries that seem suspicious. Almost looks like it's caught in some kind of loop. And these get added to the trace file while it's in the frozen state.
- renamed the MDB file and started with a new DB which I reloaded my tick data into. Resulted in a DB 1/3 the size, fwiw.
- deleted all my workspace files and started over
- scaled back on the # of charts I was using and # of days
- changed my connection so that no historical data is loaded (since I only need tick data for now)
I'll continue to work with support to try and resolve this, but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Maybe there are some cache files that should be deleted or something, I'm at a loss. I guess my next step is to reinstall the product - which seems ridiculous.
1) Running strategies - I initially thought it was somehow related to strategies I was running, but it's not that since it's happened several times since when nothing is/was running.
2) Strategy Analyzer - it's not SA either, since it happens without SA ever being opened.
3) Chart templates - not sure yet. I've scaled back to the basics in terms of the length of the charts and the number open. But I still need to test eliminating indicators to see if there's an indicator I'm using or have created that could be doing it.
4) Chart trader/SuperDOM - I was thinking somehow it might be related to these simply because of the messages I mentioned above that were in the trace file. But I'm still testing to see if there's a relationship.
EDIT: It's the NinjaTrader.exe that is in the process monitor taking up all the resources. And, although everything is frozen (charts, etc.) it still updates the trace file with the entries I mentioned above (AccountUpdatesRequest).
I had similar problems last year on my work pc. What finally cleared it up was getting off the company network and unloading all NetFrames and loading NetFrame 2 only! That did the job on my work pc. I did not have a problem with my home office pc or laptop.
BTW, I was running Win XP Pro on my work pc. Only got off the company network during trading hours.
One thing I did change last week that was network related was to enable remote desktop. I ended up installing the pocess IISAdmin, but then disabled it since I didn't need it. I'm no expert on network related stuff, so I wonder if that could have affect things.
I just downloaded TheWizards template yesterday (which is pretty nice btw), so I'm going to load his chart only and close my charts. I'm thinking since it seems like many are using those indicators here with no problems - this should help eliminate my charts from the equation.
However, it just doesn't seem like an indicator related issue, but who knows.
Thanks for suggestions guys.. I think I've isolated the problem, and it's very bizarre.
After many tests, basically I boiled it down to an empty database, no workspaces, and a blank chart template.
So, to recreate the problem I do the following steps…
-Delete MDB database file so fresh one will be created
-Open Ninja (no connection necessary)
-Open a new chart with any symbol/timeframe and blank template with no indicators
-Drag the chart to my second monitor
-Right click and select Format data series
-Select a different “Range Setting” button
-Ninja totally freezes
I would not believe this if I didn’t see it with my own eyes. I can change any option I want from my main monitor, but not the second one.
So the obvious thing would be to update my video drivers. But, I know for sure they are the latest… because I just updated them a few days ago!!! Right before this problem started!!!
And the reason I did was because I was setting up remote desktop and it wouldn’t work, and I found by digging around that someone else had solved the problem by updating their video drivers – and sure enough, it worked for me too.
BTW, both my monitors are Dell and my video drivers are NVIDIA if anyone else should run into this same type of issue.
I bough a brand new machine last week and it's used 100% for trading. I freezes every day and this sounds just like your issue. I know that this is a stupid question, but please can you advise how I update my video drivers?