I have a general question that I hope somebody can shed some light on.
This is a question regarding an indicator .....anaPivotsDailyV43
My question is this......I have a friend that has this indicator also, he uses CQG and I use NT7 Continnum....we are using the same session template CME US Index Futures ETH.....our indicator settings are exactly the same......but the pivots are different on the charts. If I use CME US Index Futures ETH2 the pivots are exactly the same.....but my closing bar is now different how can the data be different if the indicator uses the session template to calculate the pivots.......I have often had this problem with other indicators and understand there is different data that we all use. Is there a setting within NT7 that I might be overlooking.......
The question is which pivots you wish to display and which data you use.
Basically, there are 5 different ways of calculating pivots
(1) full session pivots (GLOBEX session) calculated from ETH high, ETH low and settlement price
(2) full session pivots (GLOBEX session) calculated from ETH high, ETH low and regular close
(3) full session pivots (GLOBEX session) calculated from ETH high, ETH low and last traded price of the full session
(4) regular session pivots (FLOOR session) calculated from RTH high, RTH low and settlement price
(5) regular session pivots (FLOOR session) calculated from RTH high, RTH low and regular close
The most common way of calculating pivots is the option (1). The ETH high, ETH low and settlement price are the prices officially published by the exchanges. You will get them with daily data from E-Signal, DTN/IQ and Kinetick (but not from CQG or Rithmic). These pivots are also published by most of the websites, such as Emini Day Trading
Option (3) can be used for FOREX instruments.
For index futures and interest futures - instruments that are limited geographically - it also makes sense to use floor pivots. For calculating floor pivots, you would select the option (4).
Depending on the datafeed, the anaPivotsDailyV43 can cover most of the options above
-> with eSignal, DTN/IQ or Kinetick: (1), (3), (4) & (5)
-> with CQG or Rithmic (settlement not available): (2), (3) & (5)
The following 5 users say Thank You to Fat Tails for this post: