I'm looking into opening an account with IB. I currently use NT with Kinetick's end of day feed for daily and weekly charts. Just wanted to make sure my understanding of IB and NT and their interaction with each other is correct:
1. With IB's datafeed, I can pipe the data into NT and use NT for intraday charts.
2. All time-based charts in NT, such as weekly, daily, 30min, 5min, etc., should be accurate using IB data. I'd only need tick data (which IB does not provide) for tick charts, range bar charts and other non-time-based charts.
3. Charting using IB data in NT does not require a NT license, and I'd need the license if/when I decide to trade from within NT.
4. Can I see IB data in both NT and IB's TWS simultaneously?
2. Yes. You need to differentiate between historical data (back-fill, automatically loaded when you connect and open a chart) and real-time data. Interactive Brokers only offers time-based back fill (day, minute). The real-time feed is made up of condensed ticks (versus unfiltered data from professional data suppliers). The real-time volume supplied by Interactive Brokers is false. If you refresh your chart (false) real-time volume will be replaced with (correct) backfill volume. Interactive Brokers data feed comes without time stamps. You need to make sure that your system clock is accurate, as NinjaTrader will use your system clock to time-stamp incoming real-time data.
3. This is my understanding. I have a license since many years, so I cannot confirm 100%.
4. Yes, this is possible. Interactive Brokers limits the number of symbols that you can display simultaneously. If you access data via both NinjaTrader and Interactive Brokers for the same symbol, they will count this symbol twice.
The following user says Thank You to Fat Tails for this post: