When creating a new thread, note which subforum you are in. Here is a short list of suggestions:
- Topic: Anything to do with an Elite indicator -> Subforum: The Elite Circle
- Topic: Looking for an existing indicator, or how-to use an indicator -> Subforum: (the platform)
- Topic: Programmer needing help with non-Elite indicator -> Subforum: (the platform) - Programming
- Topic: Want an indicator created/modified -> Reply to "Want indicator created free" in Elite Circle
- Topic: Vendors (trading rooms, commercial indicators) -> Subforum: Vendors/Product Reviews
- Topic: Discussion of Forex or Currency trading -> Subforum: Forex and Currency Trading
- Topic: Journals of your trading -> Subforum: Trading Journals or Elite Trading Journals
- Topic: General trading related discussions -> Subforum: Traders Hideout
- Topic: Discussion of a trading method -> Subforum: Traders Hideout
- Topic: Automated Trading -> Subforum: Elite Automated Trading
Last, any Elite Member may create more or less any of these topics in The Elite Circle at your own discretion (your support is appreciated).
This is just a short general list and doesn't cover everything. If you are unsure where to create your new thread, just create it in Traders Hideout and a moderator will move it if necessary.
-- Big Mike Trading
Due to time constraints, please do not PM me if your question can be resolved or answered on the forum.
Need help? 1) Stop changing things. No new indicators, charts, or methods. Be consistent with what is in front of you first. 2) Start a journal and post to it daily with the trades you made to show your strengths and weaknesses. 3) Set goals for yourself to reach daily. Make them about how you trade, not how much money you make. 4) Accept responsibility for your actions. Stop looking elsewhere to explain away poor performance. 5) Where to start as a trader? Watch this webinar and read this thread for hundreds of questions and answers. 6) Help using the forum? Watch this video to learn general tips on using the site.
If you want to support our community, become an Elite Member.
This post has been selected as an answer to the original posters question
This is a pain. NinjaTrader has the wrong default instruments, such as HF (Heating Oil Financial), QH (E-mini Heating Oil), UHO (Heating Oil). That said I have not reset my instruments for a long time (years), because a reset would erase all my rollover dates. This would cost me at least a day to enter them again, as I have to do that manually.
For this NinjaTrader is really terrible.
Heating Oil is one of the headache instruments, because the contract month is not identical with the expiry month, so you have to use the symbol HO||||1 instead of HO for Interactive Brokers.
Symbol Interactive Brokers: HO||||1
Symbol Kinetick: QHO
Master Instrument: HO Tick Size: 0.0001
Session template: NYMEX Energy
You need to enter the correct contract months and rollover dates.
Have tested the settings, it works. You may also want to have a look at the IPE traded gasoil contract, it has a better liquidity than the heating oil contract.
The following user says Thank You to Fat Tails for this post:
best way is to create a custom Instrument.txt file (for custom symbol/modification etc) that way you will save that day. you can get the idea on the same from the said file in the folder C:\Program Files\NinjaTrader 7\db\ or better shoot a mail at NT support.
No text file here in the directory NinjaTrader 7 -> db. Only the SQL server file.
By the way, I don't have any problems, I just keep my correct instrument settings, so I do not know whether any instruments have been updated during the last 12 months by NinjaTrader. The rollover dates and offsets for the instruments cannot be accessed individually.