the doublema multi color indicator does not work in NT7 beta 10. ehwn you set the indicator up the MA's show as unknow an nothing plots. hopefully this will get fixed quickly since it provide a tremendous visual for crossover strategy.
First of all NinjaTrader 7 allows to set up sessions via the session manager. You can then select the appopriate session for each instrument under instrument settings. Once this is done, you can easily toggle between instruments by using a chart template that relies on the session template <instrument settings>. This solves problem (2) explained above.
For anaPivots you need therefore to select the appropriate session template under instrument settings, and you can no longer set sessions via the indicator. This is also true for the pivots indicator of NT 7. So what are the advantages of anaPivots over the NT 7 pivots indicator?
(1) If you want to dispaly day session pivots with the NT pivots indicator, you need to cut off all night session data by selecting a RTH session template. With anaPivots you may select an ETH template and enter the session length (count backwards from session end of ETH session) and display day session pivots without cutting off the night session data.
(2) In case you use weekly and monthly pivots, the indicator can be used to calculate these by ignoring night session highs and lows.
(3) There is a new option that allows you - unlike all other pivots indicators that I know - to take into account holidays. Here comes an example: Monday, Feb 15 was a public holiday. Globex was open on this day, but all trades of Monday were for trade date Tuesday, Feb 16. In this case you will
(a) want to calculate Tuesday's pivots from Friday's instead of Monday's high, low and close
(b) want to calculate Wednesday's pivots from the entire prior session, which includes both Monday and Tuesday
Actually Monday and Tuesday was just a single combined session, and if you want correct pivots you need to take this into account (also cmp. CME Group website and www.mypivots.com to further explore this subject)
With anaPivots, just enter Feb 15 as a public holiday with trade date next day, and the indicator will take care of this!
(4) The pivots indicator of NT has a bug, because GetSessionDate() is flawed. This bug will produce false pivots depending on your PC clock and the session times of the instrument. In particular you will get false pivots for all US index futures, if you are located GMT +1 or further East. anaPivots does not use GetSessionDate(), but relies on FirstBarOfSession logic, which currently works.
(5) Further options include VWAP of prior session, midpivots, wide and narrow floor pivots, Camarilla pivots, Woodies pivots and Fíbonacci pivots.
Some remarks on NT 184.108.40.206 bugs
There are at least two NT 220.127.116.11 bugs that also affect pivots indicators:
NT 7 still confuses session break and day break, so it will not update daily data correctly after the session break. Pivots in DailyBars mode might therefore be false immediately after the close. Solution here: During the hours after the close (beginning night session) use pivots in CalcFromIntradayBar mode.
The second problem I have encountered relates to MergeBackAdjusted. For rollover days NinjaTrader applies false offsets to the new contract for many of the instruments with ETH sessions. This produces false pivots on the day after rollover days and may also affect weekly and monthly pivots, if a false weekly or monthly high is created. Solution here: Do not use MergeBackAdjusted around rollover date.
Below I have attached the latest version for both indicators. Please let me know, if you have any problems or remarks.
The following 6 users say Thank You to Fat Tails for this post: