It's funny, bec. normally I don't even watch CNBC, but had it on from watching when the #'s came out earlier, so I happened to catch this interview. I'm watching the #'s they're showing from their poll and thinking they weren't bad. But the poller is speaking much more negatively. The interviewer did a decent job of pointing out that he didn't see the poll #'s as being that bad, either. This is a half-full or half-empty situation, and much of the bad appears to be in comparing them with the numbers from 3 months earlier, which were the highest since 2006. I'm thinking that Grant Thornton is going to highlight and magnify either the good or bad simply to make for a bigger story to increase publicity for their company.
Even the headline: Yeah, most exec's say that we won't be out in the next 4 months? Shocking! Given that many are screaming about a possible 2nd dip, the fact that most of those polled thought we'd be out of the recession within 10-16 months isn't that bad. In fact, not just most, but 84% do. And 22% think we either ARE out of it or will be in the next 4 months. With another 28% in the first half of 2011. So, 50% think we'll be out of it in the next 10 months. One more % point and one could say most believe by the first 6 months of 2011. 34% in the following 6 months. Only 16% think we won't be out of it by the end of next year.
And while most aren't planning on doing hiring in the next 6 months, 38% are, with 46% maintaining the same. So, 84% of exec's plan on maintaining or increasing their workforce, and only 15% plan on reducing it. That could be a headline, too.
How about the question of how optimistic they are about their business growing in the next 6 months? Somewhat Optimistic: 63% and Very Optimistic 13%. So 76% are somewhat or very optimistic for their businesses growth, with only 4% saying very pessimistic. Not bad, I'd say.