I have a few specific questions about Multicharts. Although I am new to Multicharts, I am not new to programming. I am able to program at an EasyLanguage-PowerLanguage level. I do not code in C# etc. Although my coding skills are pretty old school I have good understanding of the principals involved and potentials.
I have several indicators developed in other platforms, PRT and TOS, that I wish to enhance. Neither of these platforms can accomplish my expanded goals in creating indicators.
1. I want to use several instruments in one indicator. It appears the data(n) accomplishes that. Am I correct? Any helpful suggestions either with code examples or other hints for setup are appreciated.
2. I wish to code an Advance-Decline indicator on NASDAQ. We use IB as our broker and although we have successfully connected via the API, the A-D isn’t charting. It may be limited by our market data subscriptions or not setting Multicharts correctly. Are there are data sources to use? I just need to know what to do to get it?
3. Same question about the NASDAQ Composite Index. Being specific if you look at StockCharts.com they use the symbols $NAAD and $COMPQ respectively.
4. It appears Multicharts’ Advance-Decline indicator requires two data sources one for advances and another for declines. How does that get setup? Do you use two separate data feeds? What are they?
5. I am having issues when using a 200 day moving average probably when setting ‘Max number of bars study will reference’. I expect the MA to start (it doesn't) where the ‘Data Range‘ is set to start but there seems to be something I am missing to achieve this.
Hopefully these are specific enough. If I have missed anything, please ask.
Thanks, thanks, thanks
Last edited by Lysakat; May 2nd, 2016 at 04:54 PM.
Reason: More specific title
OK figured out the answers to 1, 2, 3 and 4 with data sources and for free except for the immense amount of time staring at the computer screen reading endless babble about things I did not need to know, sifting and extracting the few I needed, nothing new I suppose.
I am however still baffled about question #5. "issues when using a 200 day moving average setting ‘Max number of bars study will reference’. I expect the 200MAvg to start (it doesn't) where the ‘Data Range‘ is set to start but there still seems to be something I am missing to achieve this."
What I wish to do is set a date range and have the 200 day moving average cover the entire range.
Let's say I want to see from Jan 2, 2015 to today. Using 'Auto" charts the 200MAvg for only the last several months. Using 'Manual' set to 200 shows much further back but not all the way to Jan 2, 2015 (it stops near Mar 2015 instead). Using 'Manual' set to 300 or 100 or almost any other value charts much less 200MAvg. I definitely don't get it.
Hope someone has an insight I have obviously missed.
when using a 200 day simple moving average you need at least 200 bars of data until the MA will be shown on the chart. This is done to ensure you have an average containing 200 data points. Covering the entire chart range would likely require sending in the moving average values from another chart.