as someone who has been using both Multicharts and Tradingview extensively last 2 years I think I may contribute to this discussion using purely my common sense (if i have any...).
1. It seems there are the same people behind both products: If you deal with customer support either per email or phone, you deal with the same people like Stan Bokov etc.
2. Tradingview is undoubtly new product compare to tradingview.
3. Tradingview is per subscription business, multicharts one life licence. Per subscription business seems to be the trend in IT last years.
4. Tradingview is web based application, multicharts standalone software. There are only 3 financial softwares using EasyLanguage or its modification: Tradestation, Multicharts and Tradesignal. Tradesignal already started its beta web based app with EL behind. It seems the trend is web based applications.
5. If you browse forum on both Multicharts and Tradingview, there are quite a lot of unhappy customers waiting for some basic features over months. This is particullary true by tradingview, since it is a newer product. It seems to me that the team behind this both products simply not catching up with developement, what ever the reason ist...
6. The rate of new features is much higher in tradingview compare to multicharts. Surely this is subjective, but just a few examples of features beeing better in tradingview:
- much better charting (for example you can define object just for selected timeframe, Elliott Wave tools etc.)
- Quandl integration
- social stuff, such as posting and follow up your trading ideas
FACIT: I personally do not believe both products will be managed by the same people for much longer time from above mentioned reasons. I like the tradingview, however there are a few things why I will not be able to use it only as one application until these are corrected:
- Tradingview language - Pinescript - is lacking many fundamental functions, such as proper looping (I have no idea why the guys have not stayed with EasyLanguage - technically it is managable as Tradesignal clearly shows us),
- no playback in tradingview
- still limited backtesting and reporting
- still very basic papertrading
- last but not least: I can not upload my own protected script to the tradingview server
I do not claim to be able to see the future. Take it as my assumption.
The following user says Thank You to Sinuhet for this post: