If indeed the current cost of becoming an Elite member is $50 and you are truly serious about
slowing the growth of new members, then make everything Elite AND increase the cost, at
least temporarily, to $200.
Next year, after the matter is under control, the cost of Elite membership could, of course,
be reduced to whatever.
I signed up on your forum to learn and contribute MultiCharts indicators. I haven't been active since I haven't started the process of switching over to MultiCharts.
I'm switching from Think or Swim and there is a great coder named Eric that started Thinkscripter.com. It is a great forum for TOS users structured very similar to yours, although not nearly as comprehensive. Here are a few things he did that made his site successful.
1. Allowed people to sign up for free and get downloads for BASIC indicators he created and any indicators that people posted in the (FREE) part of the forum. This gives new people the opportunity to test out the forum before they spend money.
2. Had an (ELITE) area where his more advanced indicators were and where Elite members couple post there indicators and collaborate with each other. Obviously FREE members don't have access to this area.
3. One suggestion for you Big Mike....One of the things Eric did for Elite members is every couple of months he posted A downloadable zip file with all current Indicators he had written so everyone would have the latest coding improvements. If you could allow elite members to subscribe to, for example MultiCharts indicators and provide a downloadable zip file for all of the indicators associated with MultiCharts (Best Option), or at least all of the Indicators you created (since your such a talented coder) I think it would add value to becoming and Elite member. I would even be willing to pay a premium for this service.
1. Let people join for free, some make great contributions and allow them to post indicators and download indicators that are posted in the free section.
2. Have an Elite section that serious members can post in and only elite members can download.
3. Consider creating a subscription service based on a particular platform, for either all indicators associated with that platform or at least the ones you created.
Thanks for creating this great forum...I look forward to becoming a more active member...
I am thankful that Mike and many others have given this a lot of thought. It shows their passion towards this wonderful site, which contains more trading wealth than many of us realize. I'm for the idea of downloads for Elites only, cos this will prod members to explore the site more fully and make better use of its resource. Thanks for everything.
I also like the idea. That will mean, for me, less forum time to be spent in "cop" mode (the first 2 bans for self-advertising or spamming are fun, but not the next 498 ).
I'm also a bit scared by the growth and the size of the forum, I hope the quality will stay as good as it is now, but there is a real risk here.
There is only 1.2 moderators (I'm the 0.2, Mike is the 1 ) for 18.5k members, more 140k posts, 150 to 250 posts/day, which are all read by us (sooner or later, and very quickly for me sometimes, I confess), so every thing which will help our job to keep the quality of the website is good for us and the community.
Usually in trading, those who know don't talk, and those who talk don't know. (Al Brooks)
success requires no deodorant! (Sun Tzu)
I discovered the BM forum in a search of having more and better background on how indicators, systems and strategy's work. I did learn a lot and it was clear to me that this forum is not "a" forum but its the best there is ( in my opinion ) Downloading indicators from the forum to misuse those ( rename and selling etc...) is the lowest there is. So i agree fully on moving everything to the elite site for downloads.
But with that, the solution is not resolved i guess
There sould be a code that appaers when the indicator os downloaded and installed. For example the name of an indicator downloaed from BM is alway beginning with BM........( BMmacd, BMstoch....)
So everybody knows its coming from the forum of BIG MIKE
I dont know if that is possible
I support the move for all downloads to Elite membership along with a "non-disclosure" agreement for Elite membership, very similar to Roger Felton for his FT indicators. Unfortunately, I am not a talented futures.io (formerly BMT) programmer, and if I were to post my intellectual work on futures.io (formerly BMT) for it's membership, I would want some recourse if the indicators were pirated for financial gain. I am very grateful and appreciative of the seemingly unselfish help, both programming and trading posts, I would be disappointed if the flavor and attitude of the site were to change. Yes, by all means, Mike, provide some protection and recourse for the intellectual work / property found on this site. Just my 2.5 cents.
Regardless of the problems you outlined I strongly feel you should charge for "membership" to download anything. You are the best bargain around for Ninja Trader indicators and anyone not willing to contribute a token amount for access does not deserve access.