I don't have a lot to say but;
1. you provide a forum unequalled in quality
2. the education within your site is extrordinary
3 .a lot of the elite members are amongst the few willing to share MEANINGFUL information and experience
4. not all the charlatans and b******t artists are on the sell side of this industry. anonymous egomaniacs abound
my thoughts on your dilemma
1. double the fee to $100
2. have a trial (say 14 days) which does not allow downloads
3. if any member is found guilty of posting forum downloads to other sites without the poster's specific permission- automatic expulsion
4.use some of the extra money to check membership info e.g. email ,phone ,address
5. don't allow nicknames - "hotrod harry" should be "peter hughes from australia"
In the end it's your site if you're not comfortable with the c**p then get rid of it
I was actually surprised to find so many indicators to download without joining the site as an elite member. Requiring a $50.00 paid membership to download quality indicators is cheap.
There are some incredible programmers who share their work here. I'd even support allowing members to charge per single indicator, at the contributor's discretion. The images and descriptions give an idea of what the indicators do, and programmers could post threads as a free example to show how they use them.
But, my general comment on indicators is that none can save you. An indicator is a tool, but no more makes one a trader that owning a circular saw makes one a carpenter. The real value to futures.io (formerly BMT), in my opinion, is the wealth of knowledge that is shared in the journals and posts. Seeing how other traders use the indicators that they have, learning the psychological make up of succesful traders, etc.
I think this is one of my first posts here. I don't think I have downloaded any thing from this site. Givers gain! It seems to me this thread is full of what we as traders see most often - fear and greed. Who cares if someone is benefiting from our work? If you feel like futures.io (formerly BMT) is not charging enough then donate. Sounds like Warren Buffett's argument. If greed is not an issue then give it away. It hasn't stopped people from posting up till present. I think it takes away from community of giving. I am not a socialist and think its time capitalists recognize that system needs adjustments. I don't like government intervention but somehow the greed needs to be dealt with. If someone has a code they don't want to give away then have a charge zone. Givers Gain! I will make a better contribution. It has been a real challenge to learn this trade and now have some experience and knowledge which may benefit others. Thanks for this site futures.io (formerly BMT).
dkrumholz, I like your post a lot. This is very clear judgement about the situation.
BigMike, Thank you very much for making this wonderful site. I guess now there are so much voice on this subject, would you think this suggestion useful? Design a questionaire, the big structure could be just like dkrumholz's idea. Let's do some online poll as this thread are moving forward.
The following user says Thank You to ilikeread for this post:
I think it sounds like a good idea to have downloads only for Elite members only. If anyone is serious they will pay the membership to get access to the downloads. For me futures.io (formerly BMT) is excellent value with so much good info for not a lot of cost to members, so I think what you are saying is very reasonable.
I love this site. As I am a newbie, I haven't posted much BUT I plan to start a journal in the next week.
If the following are the issues
1. Honoring the work put in by indicator contributors. - How do the developers feel about poaching of their work?
2. Keeping a community feeling and generosity of spirit on this site. Haven't the moderators done a very good job of this?
3. encouraging enthusiastic forum participation by all members. I guess I fit into this one. I was attracted to this site by Beth's thread. I did post to her thread and I have hanked a few contributors but until I have a few months of screen time under my belt, I am not qualified to coach.
4. Since you see a problem, I can not disagree because you have the biggest overview. I would totally support your suggestion if implemented.
B.T.W. I am an elite member and am very happy I chose to be one.