IS EUR/USD too risky to trade? - Currency Futures | futures io social day trading
futures io futures trading


IS EUR/USD too risky to trade?
Updated: Views / Replies:3,554 / 30
Created: by jodistrict Attachments:1

Welcome to futures io.

(If you already have an account, login at the top of the page)

futures io is the largest futures trading community on the planet, with over 90,000 members. At futures io, our goal has always been and always will be to create a friendly, positive, forward-thinking community where members can openly share and discuss everything the world of trading has to offer. The community is one of the friendliest you will find on any subject, with members going out of their way to help others. Some of the primary differences between futures io and other trading sites revolve around the standards of our community. Those standards include a code of conduct for our members, as well as extremely high standards that govern which partners we do business with, and which products or services we recommend to our members.

At futures io, our focus is on quality education. No hype, gimmicks, or secret sauce. The truth is: trading is hard. To succeed, you need to surround yourself with the right support system, educational content, and trading mentors Ė all of which you can find on futures io, utilizing our social trading environment.

With futures io, you can find honest trading reviews on brokers, trading rooms, indicator packages, trading strategies, and much more. Our trading review process is highly moderated to ensure that only genuine users are allowed, so you donít need to worry about fake reviews.

We are fundamentally different than most other trading sites:
  • We are here to help. Just let us know what you need.
  • We work extremely hard to keep things positive in our community.
  • We do not tolerate rude behavior, trolling, or vendors advertising in posts.
  • We firmly believe in and encourage sharing. The holy grail is within you, we can help you find it.
  • We expect our members to participate and become a part of the community. Help yourself by helping others.

You'll need to register in order to view the content of the threads and start contributing to our community.  It's free and simple.

-- Big Mike, Site Administrator

Reply
 1  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 

IS EUR/USD too risky to trade?

  #21 (permalink)
Trading for Fun
Boston, MA
 
Futures Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker/Data: Interactive Brokers, AMP/CQG
Favorite Futures: N225M (Osaka), ES
 
Posts: 165 since Dec 2014
Thanks: 60 given, 112 received

This thread is missing the point. The term "risk" in trading means the amount of capital that you are willing to lose in a trade (someone can correct this definition if there is a more clear way of stating it). If the OP used appropriate position sizes and appropriate stops, he would not be complaining here. Every financial instrument has spikes up and down. Look at CL. It's typical. You have to be trading with an edge that allows you to make money in the market, and statistically you are going to lose sometimes. The goal is to minimize your RISK (capital you can lose in the trade) by managing your trades properly.

OP is basically saying "I would have lost $625 in this trade if I was in it". Well, should he have been in this trade in the first place? Assuming that his trading strategy would have told him to enter long at the close of the bar right before the spike down... he still should have been using a position size and stop loss that would MINIMIZE RISK. You should only have been in the trade in the first place if you thought that the probability of winning multiplied by the potential reward was greater than the probability of failure multiplied by the size of your risk (Reward*Probability of winning > Risk*Probability of losing). Trading is a game requiring you to have a statistical edge, and you need to see it as a game of probabilities.

This thread is going off in a strange direction. No need to discuss economic news and whatnot.

Reply With Quote
The following 3 users say Thank You to mangolassi for this post:
 
  #22 (permalink)
Trading for Fun
West Java
 
Futures Experience: None
Platform: MotiveWave
Favorite Futures: AAPL, Bund, FX
 
Posts: 145 since Apr 2014
Thanks: 143 given, 122 received


mangolassi View Post
This thread is missing the point. The term "risk" in trading means the amount of capital that you are willing to lose in a trade ... No need to discuss economic news and whatnot.

Market knowledge is also part of the risk.

example; you go to work and you know what you’re doing, chances are you are going to do your job properly, if however you have no prior knowledge or experience to do your job, it’s very likely that you'll going to make mistakes.

Fundamentals are the driving force, understanding the fundamentals are valid approach to limiting trading risk.


Last edited by Thxo; July 27th, 2015 at 07:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
 
  #23 (permalink)
Trading for Fun
Boston, MA
 
Futures Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker/Data: Interactive Brokers, AMP/CQG
Favorite Futures: N225M (Osaka), ES
 
Posts: 165 since Dec 2014
Thanks: 60 given, 112 received



Thxo View Post
Market knowledge is also part of the risk.

example; you go to work and you know what youíre doing, chances are you are going to do your job properly, if however you have no prior knowledge or experience to do your job, itís very likely that you'll going to make mistakes.

Fundamentals are the driving force, understanding the fundamentals are valid approach to limiting trading risk.

You are using the term "risk" completely differently. What you mean to say is "difficult". We have to define these words properly for the sake of accurate discussion. Your prior knowledge of what to do and what not to do does NOT have anything to do with a particular instrument's market characteristics. OP was asking basically if it is more difficult to trade forex intraday than other instruments. Fundamentals do not play a role in this question.

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to mangolassi for this post:
 
  #24 (permalink)
Trading Apprentice
London, UK
 
Futures Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Proprietary
Favorite Futures: Currency Futures
 
Posts: 38 since Jul 2015
Thanks: 11 given, 11 received


mangolassi View Post
This thread is missing the point. The term "risk" in trading means the amount of capital that you are willing to lose in a trade (someone can correct this definition if there is a more clear way of stating it). If the OP used appropriate position sizes and appropriate stops, he would not be complaining here.

Your point mirrors what other traders tell me, but if I read the market well then the market won't be hitting my stops (not counting trailing stops).

I prefer a 90% chance of taking 10 ticks (with stops), over a 10% chance of taking 100 ticks (with stops).

In this sense, stops are not part of the strategy. Am I wrong?

Reply With Quote
 
  #25 (permalink)
Trading for Fun
Boston, MA
 
Futures Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Sierra Chart
Broker/Data: Interactive Brokers, AMP/CQG
Favorite Futures: N225M (Osaka), ES
 
Posts: 165 since Dec 2014
Thanks: 60 given, 112 received


London Trader View Post
Your point mirrors what other traders tell me, but if I read the market well then the market won't be hitting my stops (not counting trailing stops).

I prefer a 90% chance of taking 10 ticks (with stops), over a 10% chance of taking 100 ticks (with stops).

In this sense, stops are not part of the strategy. Am I wrong?

You are confusing "having a statistical edge" with "having certainty". Unfortunately, there is no such thing as "certainty" in the market. There is only "probability". Even if you accurately read the market direction, you can still be stopped out based on your poor entry point or your inability to position your stops properly. But keep this in mind - your read of the market direction was simply an inference based on a number of factors, none of which (even together) gave you absolute certainty.

Stops (whether hard stops or mental stops) are a part of your money management, and if you cannot manage your trades, you will lose, no matter how great you are in reading the market.

Your take on probability is severely lacking - when you say 90% chance of taking 10 ticks, what are you defining as the other 10%? "Not taking 10 ticks" can be any one of a huge number of things, like "10% chance of losing 20 ticks", "10% chance of losing 200 ticks", or even "10% of chance of losing 10000 ticks and going bankrupt". You can only define this with an actual strategy that has been tested. Same thing with the other probability you mentioned - 10% chance of taking 100 ticks. What is the other 90%? Losing 1 tick? Losing 10? As you can see, throwing around arbitrary statistical values is simply a waste of time, and does nothing for you. It's a mental exercise that leads nowhere.


Last edited by mangolassi; July 28th, 2015 at 12:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to mangolassi for this post:
 
  #26 (permalink)
Membership Temporarily Revoked
Surat+Gujarat/India
 
Futures Experience: Intermediate
Platform: xyz
Favorite Futures: EUR/USD
 
Posts: 25 since Jul 2014
Thanks: 0 given, 3 received

It all depend upon the current market situation. I am trading with this pair and I have faced loss and sometimes I earn but I never faced any difficulty in recovering loss.

Reply With Quote
 
  #27 (permalink)
Membership Temporarily Revoked
Surat+Gujarat/India
 
Futures Experience: Intermediate
Platform: xyz
Favorite Futures: EUR/USD
 
Posts: 25 since Jul 2014
Thanks: 0 given, 3 received

Risk is everywhere so if you say that you dont want to take risk at all it is impossible but yes through proper market analyzation you can evaluate the risk and than can take decision.

Reply With Quote
 
  #28 (permalink)
Trading Apprentice
Brisbane Queensland Australia
 
Futures Experience: Intermediate
Platform: Ensign
Favorite Futures: All of them...
 
Posts: 3 since Aug 2015
Thanks: 0 given, 3 received

There is nothing abnormal about those sorts of price movements. Use stop-losses religiously; not just mentally. I set them before I even place a trade. I think you will find that the larger the time frame, the more reliable and less sporadic the price movement. I'm going to assume that you're making trades based on one visible screen worth of chart data. In that case, it's near impossible to determine where you are in the bigger scheme of things, and movements like that are sometimes quite predictable on a larger time frame where it would be a clear break of structure (support/resistance) for example.

Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to MatthewD for this post:
 
  #29 (permalink)
Membership Temporarily Revoked
Vidor, TX/USA
 
Futures Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MT4 and TOS
Favorite Futures: Forex
 
LorraineP's Avatar
 
Posts: 15 since Jan 2015
Thanks: 5 given, 6 received


dolamite View Post
Definitely wouldn't recommend it for a new person that has never traded high impact news before for a scalp. Sometimes it's better to let the big money go through it's drama and let it subside.

Yup! Or have pending orders on both sides 20 pips away

Reply With Quote
 
  #30 (permalink)
Membership Temporarily Revoked
Vidor, TX/USA
 
Futures Experience: Intermediate
Platform: MT4 and TOS
Favorite Futures: Forex
 
LorraineP's Avatar
 
Posts: 15 since Jan 2015
Thanks: 5 given, 6 received



MatthewD View Post
There is nothing abnormal about those sorts of price movements. Use stop-losses religiously; not just mentally. I set them before I even place a trade. I think you will find that the larger the time frame, the more reliable and less sporadic the price movement. I'm going to assume that you're making trades based on one visible screen worth of chart data. In that case, it's near impossible to determine where you are in the bigger scheme of things, and movements like that are sometimes quite predictable on a larger time frame where it would be a clear break of structure (support/resistance) for example.

Agreed! I always drill down from higher time frames to lower. You can also do that with investopedias app on your phone. Very handy.

Reply With Quote

Reply



futures io > > > > IS EUR/USD too risky to trade?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Upcoming Webinars and Events (4:30PM ET unless noted)

Jigsaw Trading: TBA

Elite only

FuturesTrader71: TBA

Elite only

NinjaTrader: TBA

Jan 18

RandBots: TBA

Jan 23

GFF Brokers & CME Group: Futures & Bitcoin

Elite only

Adam Grimes: TBA

Elite only

Ran Aroussi: TBA

Elite only
     

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EUR/USD profxvictory Trading Journals 1 February 23rd, 2015 08:34 AM
Slippage for large(r) trade size in EUR/USD moses Currency Futures 4 May 26th, 2013 05:02 PM
symbol/contract to trade eur/usd with a 30k IB account sprooz Currency Futures 7 October 25th, 2012 09:27 AM
Migrating from ES to EUR.USD mainstream Traders Hideout 10 July 5th, 2010 08:03 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:18 PM.

Copyright © 2017 by futures io, s.a., Av Ricardo J. Alfaro, Century Tower, Panama, +507 833-9432, info@futures.io
All information is for educational use only and is not investment advice.
There is a substantial risk of loss in trading commodity futures, stocks, options and foreign exchange products. Past performance is not indicative of future results.
no new posts
Page generated 2017-12-17 in 0.14 seconds with 20 queries on phoenix via your IP 54.226.113.250