I'm set up now. Account funded(underfunded?), I would prefer to be flat at the end of the day, it suits my temperament more. From the threads I've been reading and webinars I've watched on futures.io (formerly BMT)'s youtube channel, I'm convinced that I don't know enough yet, so sim trading continues. If I can do that realistically for a while I'll start live, I know the psychological factor is impossible to replicate without real money on the line but I need to start somewhere. I started a trade journal for my sim trades, I'm using a monetary based stop so I need to be selective and patient about entry points. I'll open up a futures.io (formerly BMT) journal once I'm ready for the real thing, until then it's learning PA and TA.
I'm relatively new to trading but highly motivated to learn it.
The way I got to this endavour was actually somewhat interesting. (I think. ) I am studying AI as part of getting an MS in CS and more or less by random chance I found the algorithmic trading subreddit. At first I wasn't all that interested but I kept reading, because reading about practical machine learning in one field of application is as good as any other machine learning in my book. Also, uni will only restart in october and my girlfriend was on vacation with her mom for a while, so I didn't have much else to do.
Well, it didn't take long and I was hooked! Learning about finance and the market, figuring out the math and all that has basically consumed most of my waking hours for a good while. I believe I have assembled a profitable strategy out of what I read on countless websites and in a few choice books. It's mostly technical analysis; patterns and harmonics to be precise. My one prediction on tradingview did come true, so I must be infallible!
Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I don't have much money I would want to risk and much sense to not risk what I shouldn't put at risk. So it's likely that I won't be able to trade much for the next two years or so. However I will build my own skyne- uhm trading bot untill then. Maybe I can sell it, if it ends up having a great track record. Currently I'm back at focusing on machine learning and trying ideas in matlab. I hope to implement my algotrading bot over time (currently looking at C#/Ninjatrader) but the focus is definitely on "solving" the machine learning task first.
My long-term goal is to fund an AI startup. Algotrading would be one of the obvious niches for that and ideally there would be synergy with other ones, e.g. art consultancy.
My name is Murray and I am a trader living in Sydney Australia. I started out on the futures floor in Sydney many many years ago and now work for myself trading ES, ASX 200 Share Prcie Index (SPI), currencies etc.
I absolutely love trading and am always on the lookout for new ideas although I have spent many years developing my own theories on price action which I believe in strongly.
I look forward to meeting other traders and exchanging ideas.
I had the exact same concerns and questions about rooms, subs. fees, methods and etc ... I did talk with a pro who has to sell indicators for NT in order to close his monthly budget. At least he was honest enough to let me know ... And believe me, he was not developing junk indicators, all about MP and vol profile and advanced stuff like that ... . All stuff included in Sierra chart but this is another topic ... I know our day trading room moderator was making decent money after being in the room with him for months ... But my own best days were when I was not listening to the room ... So it makes wonder us should we be part of a room or not ? For me as of now, I did understand that I should not be part of a room while trading.
What did gave me hope is the 2 webinars from Big Mike: 1- Where to start as a trader ? and 2- An afternoon with Big Mike (beleive me, it is not just for beginner, their is advices in there that are the same that I did received after paying thousands in education from a good trading firm ...)
On thing for sure, I think that there is about 95% of rooms and education packages out there that are total scam. By chance my first professional education was part of the 5%. Then and even with a good education, I thought trading should be easier with a system ... Got then involved into 2 other education package (these 2 were scam !!) just to head back to my initial group. The thing is that they trade patterns on time based charts, they are good at it but it does not seems to work with me (if you read Markets in Profiles, they are the day traders markets participants that Dalton describe. They also have scalpers. I also saw the scalpers making real money too).
I am now studying Market Profile (value vs price) based on the presence or absence of the different Market Participants. I feel I can have an edge with that, it makes sense for me ... I do now kind of understand what is happening at hi or low of day and why it sometimes breakout while other time it fades back in ... Might look at Price Action since it seems to be big here on the forum and maybe at volume delta, not sure. First I want to focus on MP the way Dalton explains it.
I believe that this site has the real tools and the real knowledge to become a successful trader and nobody wants to make money on the back of our "Trading For a Living" dream here. The depth of the free knowledge contain in this site is way beyond the total of the knowledge I did pay in the 3 programs I did participate, altogether ... which cost me around 8K ... It just a matter of being patient and read, read and watch webinars, and re-watch webinars I think ... And post and share !!!
So welcome on board Runner52 and long life to futures.io (formerly BMT) forum !
It's been three months since I started to trade agricultural futures. It's actually a hard mental game. I'm in the process of tuning my mind at that point. I doubled my invested $5k but do not consider this as an achievement. I'm looking forward to survive first year to call myself a speculator. My strategy is trend trending. Also sometimes I trade news, but it should be a moving trend story. In other words 99% of news for me is garbage. I would be happy to communicate to someone who trades the same instruments. I now nothing about other instruments at that point.
Joined while back but first time posting. (sorry!) I build start ups and (try to) trade in-between. Bounced between executives and engineering positions in a large corporation prior to that. Recently my brother, who is a professional trader, got me hooked on eMini and can't get enough of it. Software developer + "risk taker"(aka gambler) + eMini = hair on fire! etc etc You get the picture. I am hoping to learn a lot here and pass it on to the next guy when the time comes.
Thanks in advance!
Some description about my trade platform.
I tried a few different platforms, but so far, NT7 seems to be the easiest to start with. Not a big fan of c# but existing indicators and plug-ins makes things simpler. Looked at Easy Language, but not a big fan of TS. Other option was to code my own under Python but I rather spend current my time building trade strategies and backtesting than worrying about API codes. Please let me know if I am overlooking any good option.
I am little lost with brokerage. I tend to just try stuff out to establish my own opinion but that resulted in me having accounts with 4 different brokerages (IB, NT, TD, CS) I am leaning towards either NT or IB, but any recommendation would be very appreciated.
General guidelines for my strategy
I developed software long enough to know that full automation or blackbox strategy will not work in long run. So, I am more focused on building systematic semi automatic trade strategy that is based on a good set of automated tools.
Respect the market trend and its fundamental. Go in for a ride and avoid quick profit scalping.
I am looking through massive videos for beginners, but any wisdom for this newbie in basic strategy would be very much appreciated.
P.S. how do i change my username?
The following user says Thank You to deltaZero0 for this post: