I am a mid-western kid, father of one, with a wonderful girlfriend that supports me like everyone here at BigMike's. Which is A LOT
I am new to trading futures but not new to trading in general. I have had SIM accounts that I have traded since I was just a we chap. And I am now beginning with TopStep Trader in which I see as my opportunity to do what I have always wanted to do with my life, Trade. So I am extremely thankful for that.
I also want to add that this community is a real asset beyond explanation, considering I have never had the opportunity to learn from individuals and only from what I have read in books. Which, don't get me wrong, is wonderful. But being involved here is a privilege that I will NOT take for granted. Thank you BigMike for making this site and providing the opportunity and value that you do.
About my trading, I started in currencies and Stocks at a young age, not knowing what I was doing. Slowly but surely I moved through several styles or "edges" that really never worked. After I began reading at a veracious pace I began to realize that my edge wasn't the problem but in fact my mind itself was holding me back. So I stuck to my very simple Top-Down Countertrend approach, learned everything I could about my few indicators of choice and began practicing strictly one my mental state and ability to approach every moment in the market as unique. Since then I have been able to really progress.
This also has a lot to with being able to talk to traders like yourself, through the TST Chat room and now big mikes. I am extremely thankful for being able to be apart of a community like this.
Again, Thank you and hope to be able to contribute on here as much as all you do.
I've been trading a little over a year. As I've tried to learn I've become separated and divorced and I've wondered how much that stress has contributed to some sorry trading. I was slightly profitable at the end of 2012 and early 2013 but since that time, I've really struggled. I've lost a lot of money and I don't want to lose more. I feel my discipline has waned and I want to get on a more mechanical mindset in my approach to trading. I'm hoping I can find some help on your site.
I am happy to be a part of this Forum. Looking forward to learn something valuable lessons regarding trading. I am more interested in learning about the use of Ninja Trader and the technical knowledge of Trading.
Traded 2000 to 2003 lost money. Learned a lot but was a nervous wreck by the end. Got to being able to anticipate reversals with good enough accuracy but was too nervous to execute. Took sabbatical. Conducted research. Out by 2005 pursuing unrelated activity.
Name's Joe. I have been trying to absorb as much info about trading and the market for about 4 months now. Dabble a bit at swing/momentum trading, albeit very little. Looking at possibly trying the ES as it seems interesting and maybe a bit easier to start with day trading. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I'm sure this forum will continue to be super informative!
I have been trading on/off since 1982. Did a lot of programming for traders back in the 80's. I don't know how we survived the 80's, because we were short all the time. Duh!!! But that is what the indicators said, It is overbought.
No more indicators for me. Just a few MA's and one indicator and it is all PA.
Hello futures.io (formerly BMT) and thanks for hosting a great forum for these trading questions.
I am an experienced trader, and have developed an algorithmic trading model that is testing well on paper and I want to take it to the next step of sending test orders to my IB account. Please forgive my lengthy question below! I have created a method to generate trading signals daily for the stocks and futures I watch, which is done in MS Excel, and I am looking for the group's opinion as to the best platform to send those trades to market and accomplish the following:
1. Allows me to upload a file of trading symbols, entry prices, stops, and quantities to a trade order routing platform like Ninja Trader, or if no upload at least drop in my information. The file/drag and drop would include that day's list of both long and short candidates. These aren't in a basket, but each trade has to meet a price condition to qualify. I would imagine that the platform would use a symbol file with my information and then add in market data, and that would generate alerts and automated trading.
2. At the desired start time to begin the day, say 8:30, I want to begin to evaluate my list against live market data to see if a trade event for a long or short triggered and then, if so, go to the next step.
3. Execute an automated trading strategy to go long or short at my trigger price as an MIT order, and pair the entry with a stop (and possibly profit taking orders) of the same fill quantity, and at a stop price that I defined in my file (basically a stop based on ATRs). Once the trade is on, I want the program to trail my stop prices as price improves for my trade, and then I will exit my trades near the end of the day with some kind of "get flat" function or other.
4. If the trade stops out for a loss, I would like to reenter the position if the trade again meets the entry conditions (go long if Last >=Trigger Price, etc.), and to replenish the orders as many times as that condition occurs. I will optimize this later, but in my test account I just want all the trades to go off and see the results.
5. If the trade stops out for a small gain, I will replenish unless it trades below the trigger for a long and above for a short and then again meets the entry condition.
6. At any point during the day, but probably around the close, I will use a "get flat" feature to close the positions, or selectively exit each position with a "close position" feature. On average 30-50 of my 300 stocks will meet the trading conditions. Over half will close the day profitably, and the rest will stop either with a small loss or small gain.
As usual, I bit off more than I can chew for this project. Especially considering that I watch almost 300 stocks without any staff or IT support. Any help as to who offers the best platform the doesn't require my needing to learn to code from scratch, and definitely not having to manually load all the symbols, prices, quantities, etc., is greatly appreciated! I tested Ninja Trader, and it is very good, but I just don't know how I can get to my goal with it on my own. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, please send them along.