I Can't Make a Friend of the Trend | Psychology and Money Management

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Psychology and Money Management

This forum is where successful traders spend most of their time and where struggling traders never visit. The psychology and money management forum is where you learn to become a profitable day trader

I Can't Make a Friend of the Trend

St. Louis

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: thinkorswim, NT8
Favorite Futures: equity and fx futures and options

WoodyFox View Post
...suspended my smaller stop strategies...

I hesitate to ask this for fear I'm opening up a semantic can of worms, but I like to parse through others' perspectives. Are you suspending the entire thing? e.g. the pattern, execution mechanics, etc.
I stay with the same strategies and change the risk/reward to accommodate volatility. I see it as a change of tactics.

I presume you know the following, but I'll post it for others: NQ and RTY offer the better opportunity when looking at method expectancy/(relative)margin req. Another indication of this opportunity is their top line behavior. These two tend to rotate around the Dow and S&P, sometimes as leaders and laggards in the same day. In trends, the day over day compounding effect is active. At the other end of the risk/reward spectrum, I see opportunity in index spreads, such as YM-RTY. If RTY has been top-line leader for a multi day trend and then moves to laggard, I see it as an indication that there could be several days of unwinding the "risk-on" trade. That trade is 2x the margin req, but its low risk, making it a good strategy for reserve capital. It can be done with less capital using options and micros. AKA pairs trade.