What do you do to stop overtrading / manage trades? | Psychology and Money Management

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Psychology and Money Management

This forum is where successful traders spend most of their time and where struggling traders never visit. The psychology and money management forum is where you learn to become a profitable day trader

What do you do to stop overtrading / manage trades?

Chicago

Trading Experience: Beginner
Favorite Futures: MES

This has been helping me. I defined three outcomes to my live market analysis:

1. I do not understand the context of the current market-behavior - I stay out.
2. I believe I understand the context of the market-behavior but it does not fit my playbook - I stay out.
3. I believe I understand the context of the market-behavior and it fits one of my playbook entries - I may enter.

My playbook is a set of entries that have specific characteristics and need to kind of "fit" the current market behavior.

For the emotional side, it has just taken practice and making lots of mistakes to get away from re-entering right after losses, or on rare occasions, feeling invincible and jumping in impulsively. Trading the micros, and then Journaling my experiences, as well as going over other's journals here has helped a great deal in this regard.

Eventually good habits will stick, it just takes time to learn, and I'm never going to be 100% there.

Cheers!

Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following 9 users say Thank You to snax for this post: