Maximum risk percentage | Psychology and Money Management

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Psychology and Money Management

This forum is where successful traders spend most of their time and where struggling traders never visit. The psychology and money management forum is where you learn to become a profitable day trader

Maximum risk percentage

Potomac, MD

Trading Experience: Intermediate
Platform: ToS, NT
Broker/Data: TD Ameritrade, IB
Favorite Futures: QM/CL

Maximum risk percentage

I have been trading a method that is giving reasonable returns and I am currently considering increasing my position size.

I have about $65k in risk capital. Even if I lost all of it, it would not affect my life in a dramatic way financially.

However, I have been abiding to the 2% loss per day rule, and since I am trading CL with a maximum loss of $1k per contract, it means I am never trading more than 1 CL contract at a time.

The problem is that it will take me years to be able to increase my position substantially to really make a relevant living at this job.

For that reason I am seriously considering increasing my risk per day to 4%, and trade 1 CL contract per $25k equity instead of $50k.

Things to consider:

- My maximum stop is rarely hit, as I always tighten it very quickly via a trail system. Most of my losses are usually around $500-$750 per contract, so even with a 4% max risk, my losses will rarely be more than 2-3%.

- My target is the same as my max loss, $1K per contract, but for the same reason as I rarely take a full loss, I also seldom take a full win. In general my risk/reward is about 1/1. This also means that I rarely have a very long stretch of losers.

- I take no more than 1 trade per day (some days I don't even get an entry), so not only would this be my max loss per trade, but it would also be the max loss per day.

I would be interested to hear people's thoughts, thanks for reading.

Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to reno57540 for this post: