How to do the things you don't "feel" like doing? | Psychology and Money Management

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Psychology and Money Management

This forum is where successful traders spend most of their time and where struggling traders never visit. The psychology and money management forum is where you learn to become a profitable day trader

How to do the things you don't "feel" like doing?

Atlanta, GA USA

Trading Experience: Intermediate
Platform: NinjaTrader8, TradingView
Favorite Futures: ES, FX Majors

MWG86 View Post
I think your quote above sums it up pretty well. I'm certainly not perfect but I have found improvement when I just do the tasks irrespective of my motivation. It's not always easy and I don't think that it's supposed to be.

I found this article to be of some help - https://jamesclear.com/professionals-and-amateurs. I haven't read his book but have heard some really great reviews, and his blog is excellent.

When I'm not motivated but know that there's something to be done I ask myself, do I want to be an amateur and just show up when I feel like it, or do I want to be a professional and show up every day?

This is another great article along a similar vein - https://fs.blog/2017/08/amateurs-professionals/.

Yes! I am slightly familiar with James Clear's work (like you, I haven't read his book but I'm subscribed to his email list). I will definitely give that article a read.

Overall I do feel that I have been improving in this area greatly. When I say I'm at 80% consistency, there was also a point of 50% and even 0% lol. So there has been improvement but essentially I want things in my life to become very habitual to the degree where acting on my impulses seems very very unnatural. A big concern in my personal life is there was also a point where I nearly made the NFL, I went to camp with the Jacksonville Jaguars right out of college and I was one of the last guys cut. I was emotionally crushed by this. However the problem for me, was the mental game. I was gifted with crazy speed, but my failures were in the film room, practice, and post games. So I was "good" in my game performances but I was never Great. Because of that, this is a fear I have with trading, maybe I reach that top 10% of traders who make money (call them college players), but I really need to press on myself to do what it takes to be in that .001% to be one of the best to ever do it (relate this to NFL hall of famers).

I also have recently read Marcus Aurelius's "meditations" and he speaks a lot about mastering that "animal" nature. I often like philosophy much more than "self help" topics because its gets you thinking deeper about these things.

I thought this would be an interesting discussion because I think many of us, if not most do actually know what we need to do, but there's some aspect of self-sabotage or whatever you want to call it that lets our laziness kick in.

Follow me on Twitter Reply With Quote
The following user says Thank You to GoldLinx for this post: