real world stops and risk reward ratio. | Psychology and Money Management

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Psychology and Money Management

This forum is where successful traders spend most of their time and where struggling traders never visit. The psychology and money management forum is where you learn to become a profitable day trader

real world stops and risk reward ratio.

Riverside CA

Trading Experience: Beginner
Platform: NinjaTrader, TOS
Broker/Data: NinjaTrader, TD
Favorite Futures: MGC

Yo @snax ! The weekend is good thanks! Hope all is well over there in Chicago!

My stops have been really wide lately. They have been dictated by the chart so I think they have been reasonable enough. My win rate over the past month has been over 60%, but I have traded for a loss. My losers are bigger than my winners. As you said, there are a lot of variables involved here but generally there has just not been enough swing left after I enter to produce favorable math. And when there is enough swing, I find reasons to flatten. Hence, the losses.

This is why I have begun experimenting with 8 tick stops. I'm basically tightening up risk to to compensate for the idiosyncrasies embedded in my trading. I can hold a trade for 4 points with no problem, 8 points is a little harrowing, and in rare occasions I'm able to hold for 10+ points...this is what I've based my stop on during market replay this weekend. I've been trading 2 contracts and taking 1 off at 1R and 1 off at 2R. If both my targets are tagged I get 6 points. In the binary world of 'profit target hit' vs. 'getting stopped out' I need to be right 40% of the time and I will be ~BE. Which seems OK. There might be a live test on Monday...

Last edited by Salao; June 8th, 2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: math is hard and other stuff is hard when multi-tasking
The following 3 users say Thank You to Salao for this post: