real world stops and risk reward ratio. | Psychology and Money Management

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Psychology and Money Management

This forum is where successful traders spend most of their time and where struggling traders never visit. The psychology and money management forum is where you learn to become a profitable day trader

real world stops and risk reward ratio.

Chicago

Trading Experience: Beginner
Favorite Futures: MES

Salao View Post
So I've been doing a lot of market replay practice this weekend...Ignoring chores around the house for now. HA! I've been experimenting a little with STOP placement. I generally use Al Brooks methodology on placing stops, or I should say ATTEMPT to us Al Brooks methodology!. Generally you are putting stops 1-tick below a signal bar or entry bar, but sometimes they are going below that last swing high/low. During my market replay I've been attempting to learn price action and I'm also experimenting with different idiosyncratic modifications. One of these experiments has been the use of a fixed two point stop and it's been working really well. I've been trading 2 contracts, I take 1 off at 2 points (1R) and letting the other run for a swing. Are there many traders out there that use a fixed risk amount on every trade? Is it effective for them?

Hey @Salao! I used 2-point/8-tick stops exclusively up until recently. They seemed to work in sim but since reading Brooks I've started trying those wider stops live with /MES, no conclusions yet.

I love the 8-tick loss because they're so manageable, but your timing and trade-location have to be on point. 16-ticks has been nice with the /MES I think my win% is much improved for live trading with the 4-point stop, but there are a lot of variables involved that might also be factoring in (not as stressed at $1.25/tick so better judgment perhaps being one).

I think I need to try the /ES and see if I can stomach a 16-tick stop. I don't really like taking more than that , ie OVER 4-point losses), maybe because many of my winning trades are far below that currently so it seems skewed against me, which is another problem entirely!

Hope you're having a great weekend, happy trading!

Last edited by snax; June 8th, 2019 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Terrible math, I meant over 4-points, ie; 5+ point losses
Visit my futures io Trade Journal Reply With Quote
The following 2 users say Thank You to snax for this post: