Trader at a BBQ | Traders Hideout

futures.io - futures trading strategies, market news, trading charts and platforms

Traders Hideout

Discuss day trading practices and futures trading strategies on this forum for all markets. This forum is also for discussing and reviews for brokers, data feeds, and commercial or third party add-ons

Trader at a BBQ

Yakima WA

When People Ask What You Do For A Living, What do you say?

What do you tell other people, including friends and family, when they ask you, "What do you do for a living?"

What do you say to people that want to discuss how you earn money?

In your experience, is it better to not discuss it at all? Or do you be open about what you do and how you do it down to even showing them all setting and indicators if they ask?

I kind of feel like if I develop my own trading strategy I wouldn't want to give away my secrets and methodology.
But how do you introduce yourself to people when they bring up the topic of occupation? Do you tell them you are a futures trader, or an investor, or a speculator, etc.?

Has anyone run into problems with telling people "too much" about what you do? Do people ask you to teach them/show them? What do you do? What is the best way to respond?
Those of you who have been around the block, what are your experiences on this?

The following 2 users say Thank You to ClearTrades for this post: